PDA

View Full Version : Ever had that sinking feeling?

Muddy Toes
12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Alright here I go, never done a report before but under instruction from Marty Seaweed I shall begin my first.Lets hope future ones will be less dramatic.:o
Left Victoria Point boat ramp at 0400 this morning to be met by a glassed out bay.Opened up my brand new 300 yammie which saw us crossing the bar not long after sunrise.Conditions were great as we sounded out some ground on the 29's and 33's, tiny swell and hardly a breath of wind and current pulling about half a knot.It seemed like it was going to be the perfect day.Found the fish on the 33's after a bit of sounding around so it was time to set up for a drift and deploy some baits, life couldn't get any better, the weather was awesome.
About half way through our first drift the bilge pump spurts out a bit of water and I think nothing much of it.Another couple of minutes later it does the same thing.I'm now at the stage that I'm starting to think something may be wrong so my mate and I put our rods down and lift up the inspection hatch at the stern to find an alarming amount of water filling up the bilge and every time we scrambled around the boat to try and figure out what was happening more water would gush in as the boat rocked.By this time the bilge pump is working it's tits off with a solid flow of water coming out of the bilge but it seemed like it was fighting a losing battle....the pump could never have kept up.:oIn about two seconds flat the lines were in, rods stowed and we were heading towards Moreton at about well ummm a 300hp at WOT speed with life jackets on, grab bag in hand and on the look out for other boats.Whilst I was driving I had my mate stay down the back and let me know what the water level in the bilge was doing.After a while the water level in the bilge started to drop and after about 10 minutes the bilge pump had won it's little fight and had it under control.By this stage I was starting to think maybe the hull had been breached in the bow somewhere and while it was on the plane with the nose in the air no water was getting in.So after what seemed to be the longest ride of my life we were back through the bar down the bay and back at Victoria Point with an empty bilge.Tied up to the pontoon we removed the inspection hatch and waited to see if the bilge would once again fill up whist at rest but it didn't.By then we started to check all the hoses, fitting and pumps in the hull only to find the hose that drains my live bait tank via a seacock at the waterline was disconnected.It all started to make sense now, at rest offshore with a little bit of swell and the boat moving slightly water was being forced in to the seacock and in to the bilge and on the plane it was fine as the water was just rushing past the seacock and not being forced in to it.A while later the hose was back on and the hose clamps tightened and the rest of the fittings checked.
At the time it seemed apparent that in order to remove my old motors cables and run my new ones the dealer removed the hose and forgot to put it back on.I rung the dealership i bought my motor off to let them know what had happened only to be told that it was very unlikely that it would have been disconnected during the installation.They said it may have been pulled off by accident whilst running my new cables but they remained adamant it was not their fault.Not that i really care now but it was obviously not clamped on properly in the first place when it was done in September last year and the dealer pulled it off accidently when running the new cables or the dealer took it off and forgot to put it back on......you decide, I'm over it.
By now it's mid morning and despite mixed weather reports we ballsed up and headed back out and do it all over again.Back out to the 33's and the weather is still great, actually my only gripe was that there wasn't enough wind to give some relief from the heat of the day....it was that good.We tried a few different baits but it was squid on a floater that did the damage on the squire.After a few drifts the fish started to shut down so we decided to use these good conditions to do a bit of sounding around to find some new ground for a later date.We came across a little patch of reef near square patch and floated some baits down to find a good size cod.About 1400 the wind started to pick up a bit and we decided to call it a day with a few fish and the boat still floating.:-[
Amen.

Stats on the trip......
250km traveled
210ltrs fuel used
1kg squid
1kg pillies
1 pizza
6 cans of coke
pack of durries

cuzzamundi
12-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Amazing conditions, mate, despite the dramas.

Was there much current running?

Great report - hopefully next one won't bring mechanical problems!

Cuzza

TREVELLY
12-01-2012, 05:44 AM
A good finish - thanks for sharing.

I did a trip out about a year ago - put in two out of three bungs in the boat - strangely the boat really needed all three in. So as the motor exhaust was almost stating to submerge 50km off Mooloolaba we headed in and was stopped at the river mouth by inspectors just so the water had another shot at sinking the boat.

Oh well - happens only once then you double and triple check before launching.

You got a feed.

Apollo
12-01-2012, 05:49 AM
SO??? How did the 300hp yammie sound at full noise??? We are mostly blokes here and not interested in sympathy, empathy and such feelings stuff - we just want to know about how did it sound and how fast did it go?

Steve

Rhinoc
12-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Wow - great report. I can just picture the atmosphere of near panic as you observed the bilge filling with water. Thank god it turned out to be a relatively simple recovery. Just love the 300 Yammy. I have the 250 version on my rig.

Keep the reports coming.

Rhino

murf
12-01-2012, 08:06 AM
That would really take the edge off a great morning. Good to hear you still had a great day :)

I have been out to sea in a glass boat that split the hull. I had to take the bungs out whilst traveling to let the water out

Cheers Murf

robtarr
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
hey Anthony good to hear it was a simple fix - at least you were able to make it back under your own steam.....sorry someone had to say it.....

for a laugh what do you estimate the fuel burn would have been as a comparo for the same 250km trip with the old smoker....that is if you could carry enough juice on board?

cheers Rob

wags on the water
12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep - great report. Sounds like you are learning from the master - Capt Seaweed in report writing. So how fast does it go mate?? More to the point.....how many litres/hr does it suck in????....err and good to hear you caught some fishies as well.

Cheers,
Wags

fishfeeder
12-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Good to see your back on the water and a few fish to show for an event full morning..

Cheers
Brett

MEG-A-BITE
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
That’s a sinking feeling all right, glad you found the problem and it all worked out well. Do you know if your boat has buoyance floatation in the hull? This is something that worries me about my boat! Still want to take a look at the Sea Pro when you have some time,let me know.

Your new 300 must be awesome on that rig; I bet it goes like the clappers.

Horse
12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
It could have been interesting with the old donk. Waiting for a tow while the water starts lapping your ankles would not be fun. Great to hear the boat is back in action

Muddy Toes
12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Cuzza......bugger all current in the morning, not even a knot.Didn't need much lead to get to the bottom mate.

Rob the smarta$$....I would of had to refuel between runs out with the old motor mate....and not to forget i would of had to top up the 2-stroke oil.

Mike........I'm not too sure on all the figures as yet because I don't think it's propped right.We tested it with a 19p and only got 5300rpm out of her and dropped it down to a 17p and can still only get 5300rpm out of it so I don't know whats happening there.At the moment it tops out at 75Kph giving .9K's to a liter and at 3400RPM it sits on 22Kts with 1.2K's to the liter.

Wayne....I'll be at work again for the next month but i'm back Feb 11 so i'll let you know, hope it's not too long for ya.

Horse.....You said it mate!!! That's all we could think about, trying to start the old motor whilst treading water.

Steve......That's a fair call mate and I do apologies for expressing emotions in my post, It's my first report mate but be rest assured mate i won't make that mistake again.It goes fast and sounds bloody awesome opened up, the only problem is that the boat doesn't shake when the I put the motor in to gear and without the old CLUNK it's hard to tell when I'm in gear.

timddo
12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Muddy - Wouldn't it be wise to add a high volume bilge pump now or a second one.

After your incident i'm going to put a big one in my 450gph is not going to do jack shit in my boat.

Muddy Toes
12-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah Tim.....I've already got one in there already and now I've got rid of my 2-Stroke oil tank I'm going to see if the master himself Grand_Marlin can put my second one in that I've got.Mines 2000 gph so with the second one fitted I'm hoping 4000gph will be enough.

tropicrows
12-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Good read their, never a dull monent when your boating. I'm ready glad for you is was nothing more than a hose that had come off.

Crunchy
12-01-2012, 02:11 PM
No more procrastination, I'm fixing my float swtich this weekend!

Moonlighter
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Muddy

Interesting info re props and no speed diff there....did you have a look at the engine height as the boat was underway? It could be set a bit low, thus restricting top end revs??

And yes, I was going to suggest a bigger bilge pump too, but someone beat me to it!

Pity the dealer wasn't big enough to at least apologize for possibly having not done up/ reconnected that pipe - mistakes can and do happen, and all it would have taken was a "sorry mate, was probably our mistake, we'll look after you next service" and your opinion of them would have been so much higher, hey!

Good luck with the new motor, they look like a great bit of kit.

ML

Muddy Toes
12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey moonlighter.....the cav plate on the motor is dead set level with the bottom of the keel so I'm not sure if it has to be moved.As for the dealer, well they will never back from me after the crap I've been through.

Lucky_Phill
12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Good to get the bugs out before the 1770 M & G....

:)

cheers Phill

ps.... have you tried Steve at Solas props... ( maybe ya need a fourblade on that bigarse Yammie ) :) :) :P

Muddy Toes
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Never even thought of it until you said that Phill.I might give him a call tomorrow.Thanks

Moonlighter
13-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Muddy

Before you play with expensive props, the first step is to get the engine height right! That's not just my opinion, it's what the real experts will tell you.

You can't tell by looking at the boat out of the water if it's set at the right height or not.

You need to be running at normal cruise speed with normal engine trim, and look over the transom to see the cavitation plate (yes I know the proper name is the anti ventilation plate) it is the plate directly above the prop. It SHOULD be just skimming the surface or maybe some water splashing over it, but it shouldn't be all the way under water, because that creates too much drag and stuffs your speed and fuel economy, as well as making the engine trim harder to get right.

Once you have that right, then test your engine at WOT, trimmed out as far as you can get it without letting go, as see what rpm you are getting. Then talk to Steve at SOLAS about props.

Cheers

ML

bigjimg
13-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds like something you don't want to experience twice.Wouldn't be the first boat to sink from a hose coming off a seacock.Can you modify it so as the tail is higher than the water line?At least if it comes off again for whatever reason water won't flow into the hull.Good to see you got a feed despite the drama.Jim

Muddy Toes
14-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi Muddy

Before you play with expensive props, the first step is to get the engine height right! That's not just my opinion, it's what the real experts will tell you.

You can't tell by looking at the boat out of the water if it's set at the right height or not.

You need to be running at normal cruise speed with normal engine trim, and look over the transom to see the cavitation plate (yes I know the proper name is the anti ventilation plate) it is the plate directly above the prop. It SHOULD be just skimming the surface or maybe some water splashing over it, but it shouldn't be all the way under water, because that creates too much drag and stuffs your speed and fuel economy, as well as making the engine trim harder to get right.

Once you have that right, then test your engine at WOT, trimmed out as far as you can get it without letting go, as see what rpm you are getting. Then talk to Steve at SOLAS about props.

Cheers

ML

'cav plate' is skimming the surface at cruise and running with the wind, motor trimmed as stated and trim tabs used at all different settings and still 5300RMP......how does this happen with a 19P and a 17P?

rocklobster
15-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Mud,
I have new F250 and have been playing with props and have tried 4 since i have had the engine . 3 blade and 4 blade . I read a report on the new 250 written by Bill Corten and he decided on a Yamaha 3 blade with a 15 inch pitch . I have found a combination that i think i am happy with with, which is a Solas 4 blade 14 and a half x 15 inch pitch. I am not sure if you have read any of the american forums but they are recommending that maximum revs be attained wih this engine to aid in the break in process. I have found that my higher engine revs have not resulted in a higher fuel burn . I did a trip a week ago and the Yamaha guages are showing i travelled 90 nm for 140 litres. Before this engine i had an F200 and it would have used and extra 20 or 30 litres. I will need to check this amount next time i fill it . The sea on that day was ordinary and there were only 2 of us on board . This was the first trip with the 15 pitch 4 blade . Previously i had tried a 17 inch pitch 4 blade and could only turn 5600rpm. The 15 allows 6000rpm