PDA

View Full Version : Motor bracket for new trailer

DC
11-01-2012, 08:17 PM
G'Day Ausfishers,

Pretty sure it's been about 4 years since my last post, so here goes. My lovely better half was kind enough to go shopping, again, as they do, but this time for a new trailer for my boat! (She's a keeper ;)). Anyway, my old trailer had a motor bracket which held the motor in place while the boat was on the trailer - you've all seen them. My new trailer, however, doesn't. We pulled the rig up the Sunny Coast last weekend and, by the time we reached the Coast, the motor had trimmed right down and was dangerously close to scraping the road as we mounted the kerb. Without the bracket, the outboard is obviously also free to swing side-to-side.

My rig is a Quintrex Bayhunter 475 with a 50hp 4-stroke Merc. The trailer was purchased from R&M Marine and, while rated to carry the boat, is slightly shorter than the trailer; so any bracket would need to come out from under the boat then bend upward to the leg of the outboard. I'd imagine these may be available commercially. If not, they'd probably be readily fabricated... which leads me to my questions;

1. Are these types of brackets available on the market?
2. How much would it be to get one fabricated?
3. Are there any options other than a bracket to keep the motor in place while travelling?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

DC

wags on the water
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Dane, there are a few different ideas around other than the original steel motor bracket. I am using a couple of modified keel rollers fitted over the trim/tilt rams. Less complicated and user friendly.

Cheers,
Wags

wags on the water
11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?65992-Motor-support-bracket-who-uses-one&highlight=motor+bracket

bundylundy
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
DC,
There are a couple of options that you have. Number one is your motor should have a manual stop that you can engage with the motor fully tilted. Mine is on the left hand side of my 50hp Merc 4 Stroke. With the motor fully tilted you push it in and twist anticlockwise to engage. You can also buy the old type of v shape motor bracket from most Boating accessories shops. You should be able to buy a bracket that mounts on the trailer to locate the base of the support bracket. Alternatively there are new spring mounted brackets that has u shape on the trailer end and a V on the motor end. Any "good" marine dealership should be able to help you out.

Jeff.

Tangles
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi mate,

the roller idea is a cracker and i was going to do it as well with a Yammie 70 4 stroke but enquired with the dealer and told it works well with motors with 2 rams, not the one so wasnt recommended for the 70... im currently looking at a Yammie one ( higher cost bugger) so i suggest ring up mercury and see what they say..

the yamaha one is more like a wedge rather than an a roller type arrangement, similar product from the states for mercs and yamaha's is a 'm-ywedge'

cheers
mike

Spaniard_King
12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Hi mate,

the roller idea is a cracker and i was going to do it as well with a Yammie 70 4 stroke but enquired with the dealer and told it works well with motors with 2 rams, not the one so wasnt recommended for the 70... im currently looking at a Yammie one ( higher cost bugger) so i suggest ring up mercury and see what they say..

the yamaha one is more like a wedge rather than an a roller type arrangement, similar product from the states for mercs and yamaha's is a 'm-ywedge'

cheers
mike

Or you could cut down a roller to fit the single ram also just like the Mywedge

Tangles
12-01-2012, 07:44 AM
i thought about that Gary but dont have the tools

mike

DC
12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the responses All. That's given me a few options to consider. The simple manual stop lever that Jeff (bundylundy) mentions seems the most sensible and hassle-free. I'll have to check I have that option on my motor... no doubt I do, just unaware! :S Otherwise, the 'H' bracket from the other thread sounds like a reasonably cheap option also.

Cheers!

Relaxedcamper
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi I have a 90 Hp Merc Optimax and we love this simple bracket. Its maring grade stainless and is so easy to use.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/IMG_2095.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/IMG_2094.jpg

DC
14-01-2012, 06:23 PM
G'Day relaxedcamper,

Did you get that made or pick it up at some innovative boat shop somewhere?

Cheers.

Relaxedcamper
15-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi DC got the bracket sent in the mail from :

BayMarine.

8 Ashley Park Drive
Chelsea Heights
Victoria 3196
P: 03 9772 1800
F: 03 9772 1311
W: www.baymarine.com.au (http://www.baymarine.com.au/)

Shawn 66
16-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Or you could cut down a roller to fit the single ram also just like the Mywedge
Excuse my ignorance Garry . What do you do to the roller , do you cut say a 10 mm slot down one side of the roller and then just simply slide it over the ram ? My 40 4 stroke Yammie also has only one ram , is your application suitable in my case also .
Thank's
Shawn