PDA

View Full Version : mig welding boat

softplasticsdude79
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
i have a hole that needs fixing in my boat,Can i use my mig to weld aluminium with special wire or not ?,

Or any one feel like patching a crack for me,can pay via lures,jigheads and soft plastics.

im at Caboolture

SunnyCoastMark
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Where is the hole/crack? What part of the boat?

softplasticsdude79
11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
right on the bottom centre rail,hard to explain,but where the boat hits the ramp/concrete/mud all the time,Can just fit a patch in there if soemone can weld it.Its a old boat and has plenty of scars,but this is its only weak spot,has been leaking around 50litres per 8-10 hours and ive had enough and need it fixed.

its about 3-4 inchs long.Im happy to pay for materials used,just need the expertise,as i aint even a welders #######.

Mossy247
11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Did you need a different gas for it also to weld the aluminum ? Not 100% sure but when I got my old alley craft patched up. I got it fixed for about 25 bucks from a guy down rocklea way SMC welding I think it was. Great guy and straight up real. No BS done plenty of work on boats etc...

Stu Dows
11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
you will need a ally wire and argon gas pm me if I am down that way I will patch it up if its not to much work

Swanie1975
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
you can do it yourself with a mig but by the time you get the correct welding wire, the correct gas mix its not worth the hassle then you have to clean the area up spotless for a good weld! IMO you would be far better off getting a patch welded in by a decent ali fabrication shop - wont be expensive and will reinforce an area that cops a lot of knocks.

cheers ryan:)

Giffo65
11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
If you do not know what you are doing,you will end up with the bottom of your tinnie looking like a cheese grater by blowing holes in it.Pay to get it done properly.

googarra
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Welding old aluminium that is salt water soaked, (yes it is porous under a microscope) is a pain in the butt for the best welders. I have a lot of experience with ally welding and believe me, as previously stated, gas is expensive, wire is expensive, and you wont do it without a lot of experience.

It will look like a chook sh*^t on it and will still leak.

Take up the offers from previous posts and get an experienced welder to have a go at it.

garman1
12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree with googarra............. you don't want to practice your welding skills on something that you need to stay afloat, thats why apprentice welders practice on scrap pieces of steel/ally etc.

Noelm
12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
far better to get a shop to do it with a TIG, as mentioned, by the time you get all the gear, then make a mess of it, you will be way behind. Most shops will do a "quick" job for around $50 "cash" unless it is tricky and the boat needs to be taken off the trailer and maybe tipped upside down and stuff like that.

GBC
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't weld it, braze it.

http://www.ultrabond.8m.com/

Jarrah Jack
12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Most welders are into fluid beer and leave the soft plastic to the sheilas.;D;D ...and LP.

On a serious note..Those patches look ugly at the best of times so I'd get a pro as other have mentioned.