PDA

View Full Version : Half-cabin

buhfee
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Gday guys, Im currently looking for a half-cabin, it really only needs to fit 4 people but I also head to port stephens a few times a year and it would be nice to atleast be able to stick it in the water without too much trouble. Any suggestions on any specific boats i should be looking out for? I only want a 2nd hand one for around 10k. Thanks very much!

Noelm
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
plenty of old Seafarers in that configuration that might fit the bill, starting at I think the Venus that is a half cab version of the oh so popular Vsea. There was also a half cab version of the Viking, but I can't remembr what it was called (or how common they were), there is also a lot of haines Hunters that are half cabs, just scour the "for sales" and start to make list of whats around and how much they go for.

FishHunter
11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Look at the Cruise Crafts and Carribeans as well. I reckon most glass boats in that price range will need transom and a stringer work by now though.

finga
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Look at the Cruise Crafts and Carribeans as well. I reckon most glass boats in that price range will need transom and a stringer work by now though.
I dunno.
If you look around there are a lot of good solid old boats about.
I may be thinking seriously of selling mine if some plans come together
If I do sell it'll be well under the $10,000

Gon Fishun
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
G'day Buhfee.
I have a Haines Hunter V16C ( half Cab - not for sale ;D ) with a 115HP Evinrude, and it is a really great boat, but, for fishing 2 up is plenty. After your eskies etc, etc, there is not a lot of space to move around in if you plan on staying out on the water for a good length of time. I just recently looked at Yalta's on boatsales.com and they appear to have the cab further foward allowing more space. I would have a good look around and inside before you spend your hard earned.;)

Jarrah Jack
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
A good buy will exist for that money. Haines Hunters and Seafarer as already mentioned and Cruise Craft but don't rush in. Start looking on ebay and boatpoint and try to find something that has been well looked after and spent its life undercover. If you find something you're keen on get it inspected by an expert.

dreemon
11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Go to your news agent and get the mag ( Secondhand Boat Secrets ) there ere 2 editions and has GREAT info on the type of boats your after with real reviews on the good, bad and there honest,

if your on the goldy ya can borrow the 2 I have, they cost $ 12 to buy and very worth it,

Marlin_Mike
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Why are they HALF cabins???????????? Wouldnt we be much more comfortable in a WHOLE cabin? Funny people arent we?? I mean, do you buy a half roof car? a half a shoe? Why dont they make full cabins? Sorry, might have been sniffing the bourbon bottle a bit this arvo...................LOL

Mike

softplasticsdude79
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Why are they HALF cabins???????????? Wouldnt we be much more comfortable in a WHOLE cabin? Funny people arent we?? I mean, do you buy a half roof car? a half a shoe? Why dont they make full cabins? Sorry, might have been sniffing the bourbon bottle a bit this arvo...................LOL

Mike

ill join ya there,sniffin the bourbon bottle too,but where would you fish from in a full cab,Could always climb on the roof i suppose,I have climbed on many roofs after bourbon,getting a bit old for that now though.

FishHunter
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I wont fish more than 3 out of my 5.5m Reef Ranger and even thats getting crowded depending on tackle and size of people

rowanda
11-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I wont fish more than 3 out of my 5.5m Reef Ranger and even thats getting crowded depending on tackle and size of people

I hope you don't mean the size of people's tackle!! Sorry couldn't help myself

yeah fishing anymore than 2 from a "1/2 cabin" is difficult, I had a Haines Sig 530F and 2 was good, 3, crowded....
the Seafarer V-Sea was actually pretty good as I find it with the cabin forward leaves plenty of room for fishing, we;ve fished 3-4 from my mates a few tims. His is actually for sale at the moment for around the sort of $ you are looking at...has a rebuilt transom and floor, stringers etc aswell...awesome boat and a better one you won't find

buhfee
12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks heaps! I've been getting headaches from looking at them so much on ebay and boat sales! I really don't want to have to do repairs to it straight away. Is it hard to tell if the floor and transom need repairing?

rowanda
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
get someone who knows boats to look with you....you can generally tell if the transom moves or the motor "flex's" it when you push and pull the motor up and down by hand...the floor maybe soft and you can always "tap" the transom but still only a guide..if an older boat get someone to look (maybe a good mechanic when looking at the motor could look aswell)

buhfee
15-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys, ended up getting a Savage Pacific, Hoping it serves my family well! I will get outside and get some pics of it when the weather improves!

buhfee
15-01-2012, 08:25 AM

FishHunter
15-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Invalid link specified not sure why but your attachments have issues

wayno60
15-01-2012, 09:39 AM
do you buy a half roof car? a half a shoe?

ummm yes targa roofs and thongs