PDA

View Full Version : Purchgasing Boat and would like thoughts on setup

merseybluenose
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

Am looking to upgrade my 3.7m 15hp tinnie to a slightly larger tinnie setup for fishing. Have been looking for a while now and seem to be keen on this Sea Jay 4.15m with a 30hp Yamaha (hours around the 60-70 mark). Had a look today and package seems good, trailer nice, flat deck throughout and front storage, motor started first pull - $6500.

Anyone own or have owned this type of boat with a 30 on the back? Enough power?? Will be using from time to time with family, 2 adults and 3 children, but mostly being a fishing boat with me by myself or with a mate. Get around the bay quickly? Pull a tube? Get to Peel from Cleveland in 5 minutes??? Whats the ride like etc....any help would be great.

Cheers.

pig75
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I highly doubt you would be able to have 5 people in a 4.1m boat

lethal098
11-01-2012, 07:47 AM
My 425 has 5 person capacity, Remember though that 1 person is calcualted at 70kg, Take that into account, 30hp motor will be fine for what you want, might be a little slow out of the water depending on what type of motor it is.

Cheers Lee

Noelm
11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I guess you will need to compare it to new one about the same, a 4.1 Horizon with a 30HP merc and a trailer, safety gear and rego's will sell for well under 10grand, so, going by that, it is over half price of new, if that appeals to you, then it will be fine.

Noelm
11-01-2012, 08:09 AM
OH, and I tend to agree, the 5 person load may be just a tad optimistic, even though as mentioned, sometimes there is a weight limit as well as a "body count" but I am not 100% sure what the authorities will refer to, it is very easy for them to be able to count 5 people and see your rating is only 4! but then, you never know these days.

merseybluenose
11-01-2012, 08:47 AM
The 5 person thing I don't think would be too much of an issue as two of those people are kids aged 4+5, they wouldn't weigh anywhere near 70kg, even combined. I'm more concerned about the power of the boat........would hate to invest that amount of money (as I'm on a very tight budget) for a bumpy, sluggish ride.

pipifin
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
children under 12 = 1/2 a person according to the (qld) law.... not sure if the same in other states. I have had 2 adults and 3 children fishing on a 3.7 with no issues at all.... it's all about placement of people and gear. :)

Noelm
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I doubt there is a 4M tinny made that does not have a "bumpy" ride, except maybe a Webster cat.

merseybluenose
11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe bumpy wasn't the best adjective.........power to weight?????

Mossy247
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
mate, I have a CLARK estuary pursuit with a 30hp on the back you will find them for under or around 8K. Now I can have 3 people on mine and I also run a minn kotta and deep cycle battery which would account for nearly 1 person also. Like they say its a 4+meter tinny so I wouldn't be expecting to much of a bump free ride but that all depends on weather. I get out into the bay and move around quick enough but once it gets over the 15/20 knots you'll find it can get bumpy lumpy and wet. If you have the coin go the 40hp I would of myself but opted for the lecky on the front. I have been meaning to put up some pics of my setup for a few others so will throw up some photo's to give you an idea.

Shawn 66
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
mate, I have a CLARK estuary pursuit with a 30hp on the back you will find them for under or around 8K. Now I can have 3 people on mine and I also run a minn kotta and deep cycle battery which would account for nearly 1 person also. Like they say its a 4+meter tinny so I wouldn't be expecting to much of a bump free ride but that all depends on weather. I get out into the bay and move around quick enough but once it gets over the 15/20 knots you'll find it can get bumpy lumpy and wet. If you have the coin go the 40hp I would of myself but opted for the lecky on the front. I have been meaning to put up some pics of my setup for a few others so will throw up some photo's to give you an idea.
Totally agree with Mossy . I have a 4.2 platey with a 40 4 banger on the back . I would certainly recommend a 40 on the boat you are looking at . One thing you have not stated is that if the motor is a 2 or 4 .
Shawn

merseybluenose
11-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks lads - its a 30 yamaha CV 2 stroke, I was also looking at another dory 4.1 with a 40 Mariner 2 stroke however this was an older boat with more hours.........decisions....help!!

I've attached the links to the two adds on boat sales.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11875869

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11182715

ranga7
11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi i had a sea jay 4.15 with a 40 yamaha 3 cylinder. Great set up, full floor, high sides and wide gunnels, fished outside in it on the right day. I think the 30 would be o.k but 40 would be much better. How old is the boat and tralier and condition and is there any electronics, $6500 to me is to much, that motor wouldn't be worth much more then $1500.

merseybluenose
11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
The sea jay is 05 boat and motor all very tidy, nav lights, sounder and bilge but only run on a small 12v that he detaches. The Mariner I believe to be 97 but have not seen it yet...........sounds like most people saying the 30 would be underpowered, an older mariner 40 that is supposedly well looked after be better???? Bloke reckons he's happy to have it compression tested to prove its care, has not used in the last 3 years much and has not changed the impeller in that time. Please check out the adds and share any thoughts...

ranga7
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Looked at the two boats i like the sea jay, just like havin a full flat floor lots more space and better for the kids to move around in then the other one. Its the same as the one i had, great little tinny. The 30hp will be fine. Ive got a horizon 4.1 now with a 30 merc and flys along with 2 in it. I wouldn't pay a cent over $5500 for it, prob only worth $5000 really.

johncar
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
The 30hp should be adequate but I would be wanting a 40hp on the back idealy, not essential though.

merseybluenose
13-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Cheers ranga, appreciate the info. Just missed out on another sea jay with a 40 yam, he had it on the net for 1/2 an hour before someone bought it sight unseen, went for $5000, great boat......arrrrrrrrgggg!!!!!!!! Guess i'll keep looking.

Jarrah Jack
13-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Cheers ranga, appreciate the info. Just missed out on another sea jay with a 40 yam, he had it on the net for 1/2 an hour before someone bought it sight unseen, went for $5000, great boat......arrrrrrrrgggg!!!!!!!! Guess i'll keep looking.

Amazes me how some boats sit there for up to a year even and then others go so quickly. I know its price related but you have to wonder how some sellers can be so stubborn to hang onto a high price for so long.

merseybluenose
13-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I reckon, I've been trolling the yards and boatsales for about 8 weeks solid, the ones that are priced well go and the ones that just want to wack a price on it and sit.....sit.