PDA

View Full Version : Full moon reds

webby nq
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
With the forecast looking good for the weekend we headed out early to fish a few deep bombies on the way to the reef. We were greeted with a flat sea ( good for a change )and arrived at our destination some 40 mile out just on sunrise and with a quick sound around things looked very promising so down went the baits.
No sooner had the baits hit the bottom they were smashed and a solid red and trout hit the deck but with my line tangled with the trout. As we were trying to untangle it something smashed my bait so after trying to slow down the braid with my bare hands(ouch) and finally getting the tangle out a big dirty chinaman fish was boated. ( Dam it )

First drift of the day

After a few more drifts and some more reds and pinkies we head out a bit wider to a bombie I found last trip only to pull up short as I came across a nice bump on the Koden and after having a second look this new Spot X looked great.
Lines down and bang , triple hook ups of big reds ,pinkies, trout and lipper nearly every drift , everyone was stoked especially me mate Crowley who got his pb red of 11kg and his biggest bar cheek trout.

Crowleys 11kg red

With the esky looking good already we finally got to where we were going originally and with the tide still coming in this spot produced some more quality fish but as the tide slowed the spot shut down so I decided to hit the reef and fish the outgoing tide for some trout and red throat.

Webby with an average Red of the trip

Walesy and Crowley with a good haul

We fished some shallow reef for a few trout but things were a bit quiet so I went out a bit deeper which provided some good trout and red throat but the old grey suit theives started to play havoc once again so we rigged up a couple of ribbon fish and went for a cruise around the reef . After about 15 minutes the reel screamed off and a solid spanyard of 18kg was spraying blood in the boat . Gave it another shot only to catch a sharky mackeral so he was slabbed up so we went for some more trout before sunset only to be hammered by sharks again and that night was the same with only a couple of fish boated so out came the shark lines for a bit of fun before we crashed out.

Nice spanish caught on a ribbon fish

Next morning we were up for some early morning trout and rte with little success with only a few being boated ( dam those Fu#@in sharks ) but we did manage to get another spanish on a floating pilly out the back . We ended up leaving early in search of a couple more reds to get our bag but fishing was slow today so after a few good lipper and a nice red was boated we headed home ( had no beer left also )
Webby

18kg caught on a dirty old pilly

clevelandv8
10-01-2012, 04:48 PM
wow.... great fish, great report!
shame about the run out..... of beer!

Jerk n Wined
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Good stuff..... How was the current up there this time of year? racing.... Nice to see a mixed bag especially the red throat aswell.
Im going to cut out the wings on the reds next time. There is sooo much meat there. Did you give this a go?
Cheers Chris

BillyT2382
10-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice fish guys looked like a whole lota fun..Thnx for the pics

Cheers
Billy

SunnyCoastMark
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Didn't keep the Chinaman did you? - couldn't make out if you did or not from the post?

Mark

XtremeBoony
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey mate top report and great fish caught with quality pics. Pretty sure this bloke knows what he is on about calling it a "dirty chinamen" and would have released it. Thanks for the report

Cheers from boony

thelump
11-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Great session mate well done. Bet the freezer is looking healthy now mate.
Cheers Jason

googarra
11-01-2012, 08:41 PM
You guys down in Mackay have a long haul out to the reef, but when you get there, you get some great fish

roz
12-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Great report & interesting read. I just checked out you mack, well done, it's amazing what good quality fish will take at times, I caught a good cobe on a yellow tail frame (about 8cm long) after I had taken off the fillets, had ran out of bait!!! I don't get the chance to bottom fish very often unless I fish with someone else, my boat seafarer VC, doesn't have the fuel range for worthwhile reef options, however I can relate well to your shark agro, I don't bottom fish with trace yet I seem to be able to hook up on really BIG sharks, why don't they bite me off??? so I end up doing my best to bring them close enough to the boat so I can cut the line as close to the mouth as is safe.
Would dearly love to land a big red in double figures (not snaps, they don't count).
cheers Roz :)

With the forecast looking good for the weekend we headed out early to fish a few deep bombies on the way to the reef. We were greeted with a flat sea ( good for a change )and arrived at our destination some 40 mile out just on sunrise and with a quick sound around things looked very promising so down went the baits.
No sooner had the baits hit the bottom they were smashed and a solid red and trout hit the deck but with my line tangled with the trout. As we were trying to untangle it something smashed my bait so after trying to slow down the braid with my bare hands(ouch) and finally getting the tangle out a big dirty chinaman fish was boated. ( Dam it )

First drift of the day

After a few more drifts and some more reds and pinkies we head out a bit wider to a bombie I found last trip only to pull up short as I came across a nice bump on the Koden and after having a second look this new Spot X looked great.
Lines down and bang , triple hook ups of big reds ,pinkies, trout and lipper nearly every drift , everyone was stoked especially me mate Crowley who got his pb red of 11kg and his biggest bar cheek trout.

Crowleys 11kg red

With the esky looking good already we finally got to where we were going originally and with the tide still coming in this spot produced some more quality fish but as the tide slowed the spot shut down so I decided to hit the reef and fish the outgoing tide for some trout and red throat.

Webby with an average Red of the trip

Walesy and Crowley with a good haul

We fished some shallow reef for a few trout but things were a bit quiet so I went out a bit deeper which provided some good trout and red throat but the old grey suit theives started to play havoc once again so we rigged up a couple of ribbon fish and went for a cruise around the reef . After about 15 minutes the reel screamed off and a solid spanyard of 18kg was spraying blood in the boat . Gave it another shot only to catch a sharky mackeral so he was slabbed up so we went for some more trout before sunset only to be hammered by sharks again and that night was the same with only a couple of fish boated so out came the shark lines for a bit of fun before we crashed out.

Nice spanish caught on a ribbon fish

Next morning we were up for some early morning trout and rte with little success with only a few being boated ( dam those Fu#@in sharks ) but we did manage to get another spanish on a floating pilly out the back . We ended up leaving early in search of a couple more reds to get our bag but fishing was slow today so after a few good lipper and a nice red was boated we headed home ( had no beer left also )
Webby

18kg caught on a dirty old pilly

lightsout76
14-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Good fish there mate and awesome report cheers for that, i used to live in the Whitsundays and i sure do miss it up that way!!

Thanks again,
Leon.

marto78
14-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Some top fish there Webby.
I just spent 5 days up there over new years and missed all the good weather.