PDA

View Full Version : No joy off DI

trymyluck
09-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Well, mid-week the call was made to have a dash off DI on the weekend. Plan was to leave work Sat morning straight to Kaurie Crk to have a quick fish with Tracy or if the weather agreed have a quick run out through the bar with Steve to hit a couple of close in marks in the afternoon. Steve after a morning fish with his kids was going to meet up just after lunch which ended up being 3.00pm (Funny how things go with kids and boats):-X so that put paid to the dash offshore so like all good plans there is always a plan B. Ended up a little creek tied up to some mangroves with the Tracy getting hammered into the snags by something and Steve trying to flick lures with a broomstick.::) (Light gear was left at home) Late afternoon the wind dropped out and the sandflies decided to join us so we got out of there pretty quick, headed out for a quick drift for zip, by this time the wind had disappeared completely and with fish boiling on the surface around us had Steve lamenting not bringing the fly gear. Anyway back to the Log Dump for a small fire and a few beers, some food and a million mozzie and sandflies to keep us company. We put our heads down for a early start about 10.00pm, not sure how much sleep I got but woke about 2.30am with Tracy with her arms burning from the bites on her arms. The sandflies were hungry apparently as she normally doesn’t suffer from sandflies bites. Sent her home to get some medication and a shower as it was time to get the boat in the water anyway. Got down to Big Mick for a few livey’s and headed out the bar. Fairly easy run out and headed down towards DI trolling a couple of lures to the first mark with no success. Steve dropped down a livey that got smacked by something that took the livey and his stinger hook. First drop and I’m on bringing up a Cod and a small Squire. Ok this is looking ok. Steve by this time had sent another livey down and was fishing with his light gear saying it would be nice to get a red and then he was on, not large but up it came and he said I’ve got color and its red…….. undersize red:'(……… Then it was squire after squire, I thought these things were endangered.:-?
Shifted a couple of times with no joy and then headed back to the bar via a couple of other marks that looked ok but the same result.
Now the bar, anyone that takes that bar for granted is headed for a whole heap of trouble. Conditions weren’t bad but the shear length of the bar magnifies things 10x but with some experienced observations from Steve we made it through safe and sound. Seeing swells from 2 different directions converging in front of you sure does get the heart rate up, I don’t to know what the blood pressure was………:oReally need to find out more about the fisherman’s gutter.

Anyway a great weekend regardless. And the cod was a good chew.

Mark

vertico
10-01-2012, 01:11 AM
fishermans gutter is the go i recun if you want the basice entrances to the gutter just flick me a pm.

Smithy
10-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Fisherman's does move a bit of course so don't 100% rely on GPS marks. It stands out like dog's bits most days.

Apollo
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks Mark, still a good day out and you did a top job getting through an interesting bar. Never a concern.

I have been through the fishermen's gutter once on charter coming back but didn't really remember the sea entry point, so some GPS points would be good to give us an area to start from and just run it by sight from there.

Steve