PDA

View Full Version : Weekend trip to 1770

lightsout76
09-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Did a trip with 2 boats up to 1770 75507 on the weekend Left friday lunch time and boat on the water at 19:30ish for a relatively good run out and stopped at a couple of marks out near Fitzroy for a few RTE and a stack of hussar.

Gave it a bit then moved towards Fitzy for a bit of shut eye then kicked off early and headed about 10kms out wide from Fitzy searched around for a bit but to no avail, the boys in the other boat stayed in a little closer and weren't doing any better, so we moved up right out east of One Tree picked up more hussar and a nice Black Spot Wrasse, still no Reds.

We decided to do a little searching around out on the 100mtr line but run over a good patch of fish in the 80-90mtrs so had a drop on then and i hooked up solid on a good fish that about half way up started fighting alot harder and thumping alot faster which, as i suspected suddenly got hit by an underwater freight train and the sharks one what we soon found out would've been a good pearly.

Still on the same drift and one of the other boys (Luke) hooked up just seconds after me and cranked the shit out of it to get it up before the grey coats moved in and busted the handle on his shimano TSS4 while winding but still managed to get to the surface a cracking pearly which came in at 63cm.

We tried a few more drifts over the same spot but the current played a bit of havoc on us so we didn't pick up any more. The other boat fished around closer to Fitzroy but they didn't pick up anything sizable.
We did a stack more searching for ground but got nothing worth any mention and the bite had pretty much shut down so we shot back to fitzroy to plot a course into the Lagoon for later in the night.

We headed out east again for the arvo shift searched around for more new ground but got nothing but Hussar and a Maori Cod and it started to head in to where the boys in the other boat were in the shallows but we did no good but the boys on the other boat got some good RTE and were getting busted up on some bigger stuff and Paul got himself a nice Sweetlip of some sort.

I'm not sure of the species it looked a little like a long nose and spangley cross, if anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated? I've caught smaller ones that look like this one in the shallows but never seen one this size.

The next day we fished some ground on the way in and got a few RTE for the esky and got dusted by a few bigguns then the last drop for the day and i got hammered on a PE tackle hussar glow fly and dragged what i was hoping to be a Red but turned out to be a good Grassy.

Headed for home in some pretty good conditions. Overall we did about 250+kms on the water, 1100kms on the road and about 600ltrs of fuel but got no Reds and no trout but got a good feed of RTE, Hussar, maori cod, wrasse, cracking pearly and a good grassy all caught in an awesome place so can't really complain.

Until next time cheers,
Leon.8-)

buggerit
09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Nice fish good report
Kev

fishfeeder
09-01-2012, 10:54 AM
TOP report and the conditions look even better in the photos.

Cheers
Brett

lightsout76
09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Just got an ID on the Sweetlip:-

Yellow lip Emperor (Lethrinus xanthochilus)
http://www.guamdawr.org/learningcenter/photoalbums/photo_album.2005-03-21.9765605382/snapper/variant/xsmall

outta line
09-01-2012, 06:56 PM
cheers for the report.. nice fish...weather looks gr8.....fishing fitzroy is on top of my list this year...........jealous........
Cheers mick

BillyT2382
09-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice fish guys wish i had my boat out on water then i will be having the same fun...weather looked a pearler

cheers
Billy

ShaneC
09-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Gee that pearly must have been lost. Thats a long way north for them......

vertico
09-01-2012, 08:29 PM
good report mate those reds will come soon!

lightsout76
09-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks Sean i'm hopin so....... I'm tryin that's for sure!!!!

smclaren
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM
1st class report mate.

Target species wont be too far away i reckon !

CT
10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
What sort of boat and how big mate? Looks like an older CruiseCraft like mine which might make me a bit more confident in making the bigger runs.

Cheers
Craig

lightsout76
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Craig,

She's a Cruisecraft RANGER 18ft with a 2002 Mercury 140hp 2 stroke. I bought the motor brand new and i've never had an issue with it.

I just bought the clears for the boat in July, prior to the Rainbow beach Classic because we were gonna be doin overnighters and after over a decade of getting saturated in winter i was a bit over it...... it was by far the best decision i made and they paid for themselves in the first trip.

For me it makes alot of difference with the clears because i don't get so pissed off getting wet and pull up sooner and not go as far as I originally planned, if it has that little bit of chop on it.

I reakon go with a second boat a couple of times if unsure then if all goes well just trust your boat and always log on for added safety, if you don't already.

Cheers,
Leon.

CT
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks Leon,
Mine is the slightly smaller 16ft 6 Raider of the same vintage. I'm also looking into a standup height canopy and clears at the moment. If you have any other pics of the canopy setup I'd be keen to have a look.

Cheers
Craig

lightsout76
12-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Craig,

Here's a couple more pics of my clears.

I had them done at Rowland street boat trimmers and was extremely happy with the end result as they took alot of time to think out the best and most practical way to do them due to the size i wanted them.

Cheers,
Leon.

CT
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that Leon, much appreciated. I haven't seen to many full height canopies for runabout style hulls like ours, so your pics will help me get a better idea on what to do with mine.

Cheers
Craig

XtremeBoony
13-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the report and pics. It is a magic place out there and can't wait to get back there myself.

Cheers from boony

P.s it seems that pearlies are pretty common out around that area:/

theoldlegend
13-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the report and pics. It is a magic place out there and can't wait to get back there myself.

Cheers from boony

P.s it seems that pearlies are pretty common out around that area:/

Aaaah yes Boony, that may be so, but;

aren't there some conditions that need to be met first?

TOL

lightsout76
13-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Cheers Boony,

Yeah they do bread the pearlies alot bigger up that way, i did see the model you scored yourself at the M&G, i might have to target those instead seen as i can't seem to catch the reds, ha ha!!

And to Craig,

No probs mate i hope the pics help.

Cheers,
Leon.

XtremeBoony
14-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Aaaah yes Boony, that may be so, but;

aren't there some conditions that need to be met first?

TOL

Too true mate, too true ;D

And definitely don't get disappointed bringing those big silver ones up instead of reds 8-)

Cheers from boony

David Ambler
21-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Great report. Thanks very much for all the detail and the great pics.. With some luck I may get out that way in March.

Cheers!! David.

hallcomp01
26-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Great report guys doing the same trip in late Feb. Hopefully be as good, fingers crossed for some red action.. Can I ask how heavy you where fishing?

lightsout76
26-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey Mate,

We were fishing 50 to 80lb braid mainly, we're hoping to shoot up next weekend again if the weather permits, fingers crossed :-?

Cheers!!