PDA

View Full Version : Interesting insight when choosing lure size for flatties

Chas & Clarry
08-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Caught some nice flatties yesterday. In the process of filletting the 50cm one I cut longitudinally through its stomach and was surprised to find that it as a solid mass...

Pulled out the content and it was a 11cm herring...completely intact :o (except where I had sliced the top off its back in the process of filleting the flatty). The herring had absolutely no marks or damage on it from the flatty attack, even its scales were still on.

Just shows how big a target a flatty will take whole.

AND how greedy they are ;) the herring seemed to absolutely fill its stomach but it still pounced on a 100mm Wriggler with spinner bait attachment...decent size lure.

Photo's would have been prettier if the flatty wasn't filletted...but then I'd have had to do an MRI to see what was in its stomach ;D

Tim and Trace

sprocketman
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
My favourite shallow water flattie hard body is a Bomber Long 15A (119mm), catches everything from the barely legal to the big ladies.

cuzzamundi
09-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Looks like a biddy (Silver Biddy Ovate). Can be good bait, especially livies, and they are hardy little fish that won't cark it as easily as herring. Great catch, btw - love flatties at that size!

Cuzza

softplasticsdude79
09-01-2012, 06:04 AM
i caught a 60cm flatty once that had a 20cm flatty inside its gut.

Funchy
09-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Had a smaller model of this fish in the bigger flattie I got yesterday. The smaller flatties guts was empty.

Nice fish BTW! : )