PDA

View Full Version : Out wide from Mooloolaba

hookinin
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
754717547075469Conditions to good for work so had to take the day off to go fishing on friday. Five of us onboard because everyone has been hanging to get out over the xmas break. But as usual when i'm on holidays it blows its but off the whole time. Joe had done a trip on thursday and found plenty of squire and mixed reefies so we had high hopes for some fresh fillets to put in the empty freezer. Headed NE out of Mooloolaba at 4.45am and returned at 5.00pm, bit unusual leaving and returning in the daylight. First stop inbetween the banks and the hards and got fish on the first drop but kept moving in hope to get better quality. Well every drop produce legal fish but we returned any just legal squire because we hoped for some better size fish as the day progressed and with the knowledge that Joe had got them all day Thursday. Well got our bag of squire/snapper easelly and a nice mixed bag of pearllies, tuskies, hussar, moses etc. Some nice amberjack and yellowtail king landed pics taken and dropped over the side again to fight another day. Stopped beside a mate(Back in black)for a chat just as one of his crew was climbing back onboard after a swim with the dolphins in 65m of water and glassy conditions. Well was a great day,good fishing and company and just nice to be back on the water.

Cheers Gaven
PS Rob and i fished plastics hard till about 11.00am in hope for better quality snapper but failed. Baits got fish every drop, very frustrating so had to go back to smelly stuff for the rest of the day.

Back In Black
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Gav, Just as well she climbed back in the boat, as within 30 seconds of her getting in a large fin rose up & did a lap & it was no dolphin. I personally cannot see the sense in getting out of a perfectly good boat & jumping into an ocean that we have just spent the last 2 hours berleying up!!
We ended up with hussar, moses perch, snapper, pearlies & tuskies. An unbelievable day on the water, with visibility to 15m, at the turn of the tide no current at all, & absolutely glassed out conditions. After we left the Hards, we trolled back to the Banks, for absolutely nothing & then bottom bashed there for a bit for more snapper. Juna wanted to cross Noosa bar in daylight so she sat on 35knots all the way home. Thought I'd have to get a fuel delivery made!!
Tony

hookinin
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah Tony i nearly mentioned we had been sharked a few times but she was back in the boat and didn't want to worry her. In the end we had to stop right on the spots and drop. Would have been a great day to stay for a session on anchor in the arvo but we had plenty by 3.00.
Gaven

outwide1
08-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Good report Gav,i was wondering where you were hiding as it has been along time between posts.
You guys normally smash them up further east of DI??
Cheers Mick

TREVELLY
09-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Some good fish from the wide stuff - thanks for the report.

Doing well when you can afford to throw back a nice eating size YTK.

Mainly paternosters on the drift or anchored with floaters down a burley trail?

Have to admit I have seen too many big things out there to consider swimming about - I have backed away from the edge from a few big shapes coming up from the deep and been circled enough times by fins too - they aint shy and they aint slow.

hookinin
09-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Mick
Its been to long between trips the last 12 months and seems ages since we got up east of DI but working on getting out more.

Trev
We had a god lot of mixed reefies so the ytk will give someone else a good run.
We didn't put the anchor down all day and the fish where falling for bait only on paternoster but it wasn't for lack of trying with plastics.
Sure know what your saying about the grey suits around the boat.
Gaven

fishandchips
13-01-2012, 09:35 PM
nice one gav smithey told me that you got a few so we headed out on saturday to same area for same result but the better snaps were on the plastics rod in holder. luke

hookinin
16-01-2012, 10:15 PM
good to see you got some better snaps and on plastics. We tried hard but couldn't find any above 2.5kg and they were on bait, just wasn't happening on plastics for us.