PDA

View Full Version : Boat preperation for transport

Shorline
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Although most boaties transport there boats by road to and from the ramp locallythe same prep will not always apply over long distance by truck...
Bimini covers are not as secure as you might think; the life span for canvasin the weather is only around 5 years even less if open in the sun...

Preparation for transport is important to protect the covers. Most occasionsit is wiser to remove the covers... rather than have them torn to threads...

flatstrap
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Well noted. Actually, it is better to fold down canopies and such items as they can be destroyed even in normal driving conditions. A friend of mine (no, not me) was driving back home from a day's boating. He was getting a bit miffed as many other drivers were honking him. When he got home the reason was clear. His bimini had collapsed and the fabric was in shreds. Much like a flyscreen strip door. One for the memory bank.

LittleSkipper
10-01-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm glad someone finally pointed this one out to all boaties with bimini tops, sometimes I was miffed at how some stay in one piece when motoring along or at speed, since owning my boat in 2010 I had a bimini top fitted, but I knew it would not stay in the down position when motoring along so instead of using rope I bought a small ratchet type strap from Super Cheap to place just enough tension over the folded bimini that it won't move with the hooks secured to the existing metal loops on the trailer used for the boat ratchet strap ...works a treat, and no damage to the bimini top!

Shorline
18-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Strapping down with a strap will work fine if on a small trip.Traveling interstate is anouther matter...
If you dont go to the trubble of perchasing a cover for your bimani then rap a piece of carpet around first.
Makes life easyer than a new bimini top.

Shorline
18-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Another quck tip for you to know when transporters are moving your boat...
Boats on trailers loaded onto trucks are not always the best way to transport.

One of the biggest problems with it is the front piller roller or the piller itself not being strong enough to travel.

The boat is best moved bake away from the piller then strapped for and aft to keep it away from the piller allowing movement.
the biggest no no is to shackle the boat as tight as you can and only strap the back by the D's.

The boat will twist and try to move forward, the boat will bounce a d damage the boat.
Just bear mind that boats loaded on trucks are mostly loaded towhitch down. Not often level