PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Ocean Pro Oil Injection Problems

Billy C
06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Looking at purchasing a boat with a 98 Evinrude Ocean Pro 90hp.

I have done a search and found few comments on these motors - interested if anyone has any further comments/advice on these motors? Are they reliable/thirsty?

I have been told there have been problems with the oil injection, to the point where some people have disconnected the injection and simply put the oil straight into the tank?

Thanks in advance.

B

Noelm
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
very good motor, simple to fix and service, leave the oil injection alone, it will work fine, they are OK on fuel no wose than any other carbed 2 stroke in that HP. Just do the usual checks for a second hand motor (or get someone to do it for you)

Spaniard_King
07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Not a bad engine in its day, the oil system can fail like any mechanical part, you just have to hope the alarm sounds to nofify you of the problem.

Noel, how often do you clean / change the oil strainer on yours??

Chimo
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi Gary

I presume its the same on a 115HP.

Where are these oil filters? Does OMC TCW3 need filtering?

Cheers
Chimo

hino310
07-01-2012, 12:11 PM
As noelm said, the oil injection systems are fine on these engines, if anything they have a tendancy to overoil most of the time.
If you do buy the boat jus put a texta mark on the oil bottle mix one tank of 50:1 to be safe and make sure the oil level has dropped slightly.
As for the oil filter, part number 174377 yes you should check or change these during routine service. Water is often noticed in the bottom of the oil bottle when these are changed, so it is well worth doing.

Cheers.

Spaniard_King
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Hino is onto it :)

quite often found gluggy concoctions in the bottom of the oil tank, this is a big part of the VRO failing

Billy C
10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all your replies guys much appreciated.

Noelm
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Not a bad engine in its day, the oil system can fail like any mechanical part, you just have to hope the alarm sounds to nofify you of the problem.

Noel, how often do you clean / change the oil strainer on yours??

Didn't see this before, on my old engines (both the carbed and the Fichts) I used to do a "small" service every Christmas and a "big" service every year between (I used to do it on the even numbered years so I could remember) and the oil bottles/tanks were cleaned in that year, but using XD50, there was very little sludge stuff in the tanks, but with the old Shell Nautilus there was some "mud" on the bottoms of the tanks.