PDA

View Full Version : Family time

gonefeedin
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi All

Long time since I posted, new boat getting family intofishing and enjoying the water. Need some ideas for sightseeing/ fishing in MoretonBay, kids are growing up and will notwant to spend time with dad soon. I.e. beachesto visit, areas most likely to see dugongs and turtles ECT.

Thanks kev

fisho8
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Plenty of great places to fish in Moreton Bay I got a map of the area a while ago from my local tackle shop up at Scarbrough it had the gps marks of a few areas you can go and fish and all the dugong and go slow areas over at moreton as well as green zones. Scarbrough Reef and surrounding areas are fishing well at the moment. I take my missus and the kids over to the Tangalooma Wrecks and we snorkel and just chill out on the beach. There are heaps of turltes through the bay so you will definatly see them in your travels aswell as dolphins. Good luck mate and enjoy your time on the water.

Cheers Mick.:)

Triple
06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Straight to moreton island.. Start at the southern sandhills for a slide and then on to the wrecks for a snorkel and swim with lunch. Be aware of go slow zones for dugongs/turtles (will see plenty of them when you actually go slow). Plenty of fishing spots along the way for squid/whiting etc.. might even get a few macs bailing up near the drop off ;) Just keep an eye on the tides when travelling around in a few of the gutters.

gonefeedin
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi Thanks fisho8 and Triple for the reply. Local knowledge goes along way, andmakes you proud of the place you live.

Cheers

Kev

Moonlighter
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Kev

At the southern end of the Bay are many great spots to take the family and have a picnic on the beach.

Some of our favourites are Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island, although it gets like Queen St at times! Quieter spots include Blakesleys on Nth Straddie, its approx due east of Coochie, or the Slipping Sands down near the Pin. Amity Pt the beach with groynes near the caravan park is also a great spot. Further north, the little sandhills on Moreton are fantastic too.

Do yourself a favour, buy a copy of the Beacon to Beacon guide, heaps of info on this sort of stuff in there.

One thing many are not aware of - if you have pets, lots of these places are national parks and the greenies (EPA rangers) are often there and fine people who bring their dogs - no domestic animals are allowed in national parks, even on a leash. Rediculous of course, but these are the rules, apparently!

Cheers

ML

Marlin_Mike
06-01-2012, 12:51 PM
The Sandhills on Southern end of Moreton. All round this area is alive with dolphins, dugong, rays, fish.

Rous Channel on a good day for dolphins, dugong, rays and fish.

Tangalooma Wrecks, Bulwer Wrecks, Cowan Cowan.

Green Island has a nice little beach, as does Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island, Bird Island is a huge sand bar at low tide, good for a walk etc. You can spend eternity going round the bay, a treasure trove of sights to see and things to do. ;D;D:D

choppa
06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Kev,,, all of the above info is good,,, but you have to remember if the family are not use to boating yet,,, it could scare them off it altogether if you pick the wrong day to go,,, afterall the bay can get choppy,, then you have sunburn issues,, getting use to the new regulations on where you can go,,,where you can't etc etc

i suggest a trip just for them to Underwater World first,,, whilst they are "gently" being introduced to the various species and so on,,, you and i can hit Caloundra reef in your rig and do a bit of fishing,,, i could show you???,,, umm a few things that will come to mind by then,,, and then do the same down the Gold Coast on the following trip,,,

sound okay to you,,, i'm avail on Sunday if this helps,,

choppa

gonefeedin
07-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Cheers all for the advice and areas to visit look forward to posting ourresults. i have been around boats for a long time diving, sailing in the bayect, so the boat is no issue, basically when the kids grow up they find otherthings to occupy their time.

Thanks for the offer chopper may take you up on that some day.

gruntahunta
07-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Cheers all for the advice and areas to visit look forward to posting ourresults. i have been around boats for a long time diving, sailing in the bayect, so the boat is no issue, basically when the kids grow up they find otherthings to occupy their time.

Thanks for the offer chopper may take you up on that some day.

Wasn't there an add on TV about someone saying this, then jumped in his boat only to go through the bottom. LOL. No offense gonefeedin, it just tickled my fancy a bit.

Crunchy
07-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Had been thinking the same Kev, have lived in brassy for a year and only used the boat twice so this years resolution was "use it or sell it". Took the whole family to tangalooma on Wednesday, was a success so went to peel the next day...another very pleasant day out. So looking forward to trying some of the other places mentioned hear now too. Snorkeling at Tanga's was a hit with the kids but there were more boats there then at the boat show!

gonefeedin
08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi all took the boat out for its maiden voyage today over to PeelIsland. Ran like a dream, boat was just great Stable and comfortable, bit bumpyon the way back to Wello but kids and wife had no troubles. (Wish I had got newboat years ago) missed out on so much fun. And there was a dolphin next to theboat as we entered Horseshoe bay.

Thanks for the help on places to visit