PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay... oh dear :(

FisHard
05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry to add to the run of poor trip results, but I fished on a charter boat out of Hervey Bay today and it was a bit of a shocker :(
I'm not going to name the operation, because the owner was a genuine guy and some of the days events were purely bad luck.
On a positive note, the deckie landed a ripper trout around 6kg (and gave the fillets to our group- full marks for that). Also landed onboard was a nice Snapper about 5 kg and I nearly landed a huge Barracuda (25kg?) That smashed my bibless minnow I'd been jigging. A handful of assorted reefies also came onboard. Weather was first class until we were an hour grom home, when it blew up to 15kts. This was bad timing, as the hydralic steering blew a hose and made the boat almost unsteerable. The skipper drove the boat on the twin motors for a while, but the 1m chop wasn't helping his cause and we spent an hour dodgying up a (very) short term fix. The starboard motor also had to be bled everytime we moved, due to an air leak in the fuel line. That only happened a few times, because we didn't move much, despite the lack of action. Food was crappier than a last minute run on your neighbours boat and the skipper had forgotten the milk (no white coffee!). Their wasn't even a freshwater sink on board.
Thankfully though, the mixed group onboard were a fun crowd, and the day wasn't a complete loss.
Today reconfirmed a couple of things fo me:
1: why I own my own boat.
2: the old myth- worst days fishing is better than the best day at work- what a crock! I don't mind my work, and an ordinary day like today is NOT better than cruising down the Pacific Hwy in my lovely new European truck withe some tunes humming (I'm a truck driver) :)
Ps: we were fishing around the Southern Gutters.
Cheers

Smithy
06-01-2012, 04:58 AM
That's what you get for fishing inside the bay I guess. Mechanical issues happen. That's what you get on high hour commercial vessels. I know I have had my fair share on my 7,000 hour old motor.

Horse
06-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Mechanical issues aside providing poor food and drink would to me be indicative of a poorly run operation

FisHard
06-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Hey Rob,
As a owner of heavy vehicles running interstate, I know all about mechanical issues :( but if you saw the overall condition of the vessel- it was not good. The Volvo inboards had been replaced 2 years ago at a cost of $80k, but I think a more extensive refurbishment may have been in order. The 2 female guests on board were aghast there was no sink to even wash their wands after the toilet.
I fully agree re the inside fishing, but that's all I could get on. I emailed 2 charters and only 1 got back to me. I maintain though, we could have hunted around more. I think we moved 3 times in 6 hours of fishing (not inc travelling time).
Cheers

clevelandv8
15-01-2012, 04:55 PM
similar issues i had and sounds the same mob last visit at easter.
food isn't that hard to do really, and my skipper/deckie really showed no interest.
its still a service i'm paying for and it would be nice to havesomeone show interest/passion at times!
fishing was crap, nobody got back to me regarding spending my hard earned either.
i know who i WILL give my cash to next time though after alot of research.