PDA

View Full Version : 50 yamaha starter

SCOTTYGC
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi

I have a 50 4 stroke Yamaha tiller steer and the stater motor won't pop up
It started at the ramp ok ,we fished for a while then went to move and it spins ok but dosent pop up to the fly wheel

Had to pull start with the cord and off it went

Do I need to give the starter a tap or is it shot

Thanks
Scotty

tunaticer
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I would remove the starter motor and get it serviced, It will not need replacement, possibly a solenoid, but most likely it is just needing servicing to remove any buildup in the spool.

STUIE63
05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
take the starter off and give the bendix drive a clean it is probably a bit of crap or corrosion stopping it coming up. if that doesn't work take it to an auto electrician

SCOTTYGC
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
thanks
will have a look and see if i want to to take it off myself or get someone to do it

cheers

scotty

Noelm
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
just give it a spray with WD40 and see how it goes, it is a very common problem, usually requires a good clean and thats it, does not normally need to even remove the starter from the motor.

Spaniard_King
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Could be a battery supply issue not turning the starter quick enough to throw the bendix gear.

Lube the hellix with Lithium based grease only

Spraying any penatrative lubricant near a starter is frought with danger, some staters have friction drive bendix gears this will only cause more slippage.

Fed
06-01-2012, 01:39 PM
You can usually work them up & down with your fingers to feel if they're sticky.
You don't want to let WDwhatever get down into the top bearing either, just a little to clean it up from old grease.

+1 Garry I never knew they had a friction clutch in them, I've never pulled one apart but I did notice a very slight hesitation (milliseconds) between the clunk & the motor cranking over at speed so I marked mine as you would a prop hub and found the marks misaligned after the first crank.

That was after full voltage drop tests and starter strip down for nothing ..... live & learn eh?

SCOTTYGC
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Could be a battery supply issue not turning the starter quick enough to throw the bendix gear.

Lube the hellix with Lithium based grease only

Spraying any penatrative lubricant near a starter is frought with danger, some staters have friction drive bendix gears this will only cause more slippage.

im pretty sure its getting plenty of volts to it

Spaniard_King
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
im pretty sure its getting plenty of volts to it

How have you tested the voltage, just remember there are a + and a - in a circuit

SCOTTYGC
07-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Not tested

Both battles full charge

The starter spins as normal

Just not popping up

Spaniard_King
07-01-2012, 01:32 PM
scotty, if there is poor voltage supply tot he starter it will not spin fast enough to throw the bendix up....watse of time going any further with any diagnostics untill you have done this properly!!! you will simply go arround in circles trying to fix this otherwise.

SCOTTYGC
07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
scotty, if there is poor voltage supply tot he starter it will not spin fast enough to throw the bendix up....watse of time going any further with any diagnostics untill you have done this properly!!! you will simply go arround in circles trying to fix this otherwise.

Thanks

Sounds like its out of my league