PDA

View Full Version : Busy day at the Labalsa boat ramp Mooloolaba

Wax_head
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Man how busy was the ramp there at mooloolaba this morning it was just bearable.

We headed out 20ks and only got 1 fish. We could see good shows but no keen fish for us to entice into the esky.

We came back to Murphys and there were a stack of boats there, didn't see anyone catching any except for old mate the mackeral fisherman. He always has a bend in his rod.

We came back to the neerings and then home. Me mate got 3 fish and I got none as usal.

Only saw a few birds and they weren't really working much just a low fly here and there.
Geez you have to have a wheelborrow full of patience to catch a feed these days.

Till next time.
Hope you are all catching a feed and remember to take something for your feet as the walk back to the car and trailer is bloody hot on your feet if your not wearing something.

Cheers.

ollie1
05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
thanks for the report wax head....we got 3 yellow fin tuna trolling around the blinker this morning but no mackerel... we left the ramp at 4 back at 8, and no drama's then... and didn't see any birds diving till in pretty close on way in also.

Stu Dows
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah it was pretty bussy this morn it reminded me of a scene from Jaws when they put a bounty out and evvery man and his dog hit the water but it seemed worth it for us we got on some pearlies and the odd squire an tusk out wide at one stage we had 3 of us all hooked on at the same time. We had a great day came back to the Gneering for a trawl there were heaps of bait schools heaps of fish and heaps of boats but we couldn't get on how ever our effort was limited.
I am sure you would agree wax head the worst day fishing beats the best day at work

Wax_head
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Thats the way to do it Ollie, we should of come back early also.

We will get onto them eventually, just have to keep on trying.

Thanks for the reply

Wax_head
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I agree, fishing sure does beat going to work. Good to hear you got onto a few. We were fishing the wreck and to our supprise there was only 1 other boat on it. Good shows but no chewers at this stage. Great conditions for heading wide and what a cracker it will be in the morning 5knots. If I wasn't on the dog watch at work I'd be out there again.

Thanks for the reply.

fisho8
05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
That Ramp can be testing at the best of times I just got my boat on the trailer in time last time I was up there as there was a boat come in with a bloke who was that sick from being offshore he actually looked Green the pontoon was held up for ages as they had to call an ambulance and they did not want to move him until the ambo got there. Felt sorry for him but I tell you there were alot of angry people trolling around in the water that day wait to get onto the pontoon.

Stu Dows
05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I am pretty sure I saw you at some stage waxy nice rig

Wax_head
06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks Stu Dows, it is a nice rig and it took me a long time to get this up grade. As my old man says it still won't catch you anymore fish. But my reply is to the old man that I don't catch many fish anyway so I might aswell be comfortable!!!!!!

Only time I catch a feed is if I stumble onto them by mistake. Heard today that there is bait starting to show up on some of the beaches with the grey suits chasing them so cross your fingers, toes, arms and legs so that we may get a crack at them off of Mooloolaba sooooon.

Cheers and screaming reals to everyone.

Angla
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
It is like a lottery. Albeit a small jackpot one. I found the top of the banks to have no current till about 2.00pm then I reckon the fish shut down as the current got up.

Better luck next time
Cheers
Chris

malby
07-01-2012, 11:10 AM
So from what i'm hearing the Macks have not shown up yet on the sunny coast? Is that right??

Also, have any of you guys headed out through Caloundra Bar lately and is so how safe has it been?

Sounds as though I really need to avoid the ramp at Mooloolaba if possible.

Where else do people launch from up there? Any other suggestions?

Wax_head
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
The mackeral are here but they are not schooling up like they normally do. Hot week of weather coming up so hopefully this will help things in the water temp department.

The ramp at Mooloolaba Labalsa park side isn't that bad, you just need to have patience and make sure you don't muck around on the boat ramp and you will be fine. Don't launch from Caloundra and go over the bar unless it is flat and make sure that you log on to caloundra coast guard and life jacket up before even thinking of doing it it is pretty shallow at low tide. If in doubt don't go out. Mooloolaba is still the best place to launch and retrieve your pride and joy. If you want to fish the waters off of Caloundra it doesn't take that long to run down along the coast to those fishing grounds safely.

I know of boaties that have crossed the bar heaps of times and have come undone and lots everything on the Caloundra Bar. Waves can be unpredictable there some days. Other days it is a breeze. Be carefull.

I hope this helps you.

Screaming reels to you all.
Bicko

malby
07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I think that I am one of those that has crossed it a fair bit (safely luckily) but now with my Cruise Craft Reef Raider as its bigger and heavier I am more wary of bottoming out and so will take your point and stick with Moolooaba exept on pretty flat days. Its a whole new ball game owning a larger glass boat but I'm slowly gaining confidence. Just need to put some fish on the decks now. Hopefully any time soon, Cheers, Mal

bustastu
07-01-2012, 09:46 PM
The earlier you arrive, the better chance of a quiet ramp. Up to 4am is still pretty good and you still might have a chance of getting a park without walking 2k's. As for the mackeral, there were a few around early on Friday morning at the 12 mile which tasted great tonight for dinner.

Wax_head
08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
You will have no probs leaving Mooloolaba river just keep an eye on youre sounder as it is shallow near the eastern side rock wall at the moment so stick to the port side heading out.

Hopefully with this blow coming it will clean it up.

As for the fish hitting youre deck malby you haven't been missing out on anything. It has been quite all round.

By the time you get out there they should be on the chew hopefully!!!!!!!!