PDA

View Full Version : Odds against us at Hutchies

Scalem
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Lost Mojo, or lack of experience, too light on the tackle, or all of the above, Tim D and I had a great day at Hutchies despite the fact we were sent packing.

We trolled and trolled from around 7am. I guess the 1st thing I should have done is turn the radio off, lots of guys saying trolling was not the best way to catch a feed, with lots of water between fish. A small dollie was caught by a boat "bluefin" at hutchies and I heard another say he caught a couple of fish bottom bouncing at caloundra wide. Apart from that a few said they caught a "couple" but none of the wwwwaaahoooo that you often hear on ch 21 if trolling was any success.

So I pulled up on good shows I marked as I trolled over them, went back to spots marked 058 and 059 which had very good soundings of bait and bigger shapes hanging off them.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/S00059.png

Down goes a big Jighead and a white 7" shad. Got hit several times, but missed a hookup. On goes an old atomic shad where the assasin had to be retired, had several bite marks and wouldn't stay on the Jighead properly. Ripped it up quickly and got stopped half way. This beast wanted to get back to his turf amoungst the rubble. I made a big mistake, putting too much lift on the rod and the result was explosive! Now I have a much shorter rod, needs a line guide at the tip if I am to use it for jigging...::) I tied a jighead to my trolling overhead rig, and before I could do anything, got slammed on that too. Jigging with a heavy trolling rod was not ideal, So we went back to trolling, around 15mins in, Tim is going off, "mate, did you see that, something long and silver just leapt out of the water just behind your home made resin head" There it is behind it, another splash and he's on!!!" 20 mins later into the fight the line parted. Could not make ground on this fish, 15-24Kg live fibre and TLD 20 seemed very under gunned. I had a photo of this lure, tied with crystal flash instead of silicon rubber. If anyone finds a big Spaniard or Dollie wearing this piece of bling, it's mine OK? Custom made there is no other like it, please send back to rightful owner??:-?

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/Blinghead1.jpg

Back to the drawing board - refine what I am doing, My total score today was fish 4, me zero ( except for undersized emporor and a trumpet fish)

I need to tip the odds more my way next time but it was a great day out at hutchies, full of a few heart stopping encounters with fish that were too smart for me.... today!

Scalem

outwide1
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey Scalem,my mate was up that way today and trolled from hutchies to the 250mtr line then out to 500mtr line and back to hutchies and the trench for not a thing,very quiet day.
W e got x2 dollies n/e of the pin bar and marked some good bait shows from the top to 20mtrs down in 70mtrs but thats all we could we raise all day.
Hopefuly things will change soon,i like the lure.
Mick

TREVELLY
05-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Sounds like you had some fun.

Just like my last trip out too - the big one's got away. I didn't manage to break any rods though - ouch.

Bigger gun and better luck next time mate - thanks for the report.

rosco1974
05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
bad luck mate.think since u have been takin tim d out your catches have dropped.when u dont take him u get fish...are those chips really that nice.lol.am sure you 2 blokes will get it together soon otherewise come down to my ground the squire a good chewing and there are plenty there
cheers rosco

TimD
05-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the trip out yesterday Brian :thumbsup:

It was good to see your homemade resin head lure get chosen by that silver missile over the pakula lure i had out.

cheers tim :)

bigjimg
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Better luck next time Brian.Mate at least your getting interest which means your doing something right.They just smoked you on the day.Jim

death_ship
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Might pay to use wire at hutchies from now on