PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Duck GRRRRR

bensbrick
04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
G'day

Well went for a solo run out of Gold Coast today, nice day a couple fish with great weather until about lunch. On returning back to the ramp at Seaworld i had my second treat in the last few outings of trying to keep my boat from smashing against my trailer while "Quack Quack" the bloody Aqua Duck splashes in beside me (over 6 knots and creating a decent wake) while trying to line my boat up on the trailer.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of experiencing this inconsiderate duck >:(?

seriously thinking of complaining.

My rant.

Ben

Jabba_
04-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Yep.. Pulling the boat out at the ramp on the spit, next to VMR.. I was winching the boat up and locking up the chain when I heard a horn.. I looked around and didnt see anything so (I had my hard lid up too) I then tightened the shacklen the to secure the boat and went to walk out between the trailer and car when this Aqua Duck flew past and into the water.. It bloody drenched in sand and water, and crapped myself something rotten..

TopBhoy
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Shoot it...seriously, if it has now happened twice and has endangered yourself or boat on each occassion, then complain. If they don't know there is a problem then they won't even try to resolve it. It doesn't need to be nasty, more highlighting what has happened, what the consequences were and that its actions are inappropriate without due warning to other boat ramp users. The alternative is to find out the times it runs at and avoid launching or retrieving at those times.

Alan_L
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I feel your pain Ben, I was halfway up my trailer when the prick came from behind, not a pretty site, Cruise Craft now sitting on the mudguard, and me giving the people in the vicinity a new take on the English language. (I did apologise to a young family, although they both said they would have done the same)It took ages to get it off the mudguard without damaging anymore gelcoat. Ended up with the back wheels of the car In the water to try and float it off. Rang them up when I got back, but they weren't interested in coughing up for the repair. just said sorry.
Now if I'm back around 1 - 2 ish I use the whole ramp, unless there are other boats waiting to launch or retrieve. Been doing this for a while, get a few snide looks from the duck operators, but I couldn't give a rats @rse.

finga
05-01-2012, 06:05 AM
What's this aqua duck?
How hard would it be for the council to impose a no wash zone at the ramp?
How far away does this aqua duck get and what speed does it do?

finga
05-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Found aqua duck.
http://www.aquaduck.com.au/
So I take it that it doesn't launch like what's in the video??

No wash zone would work....

Blusta
05-01-2012, 07:16 AM
This guy needs the book thrown at him; regardless of the no wash rule, it is dangerous. Having said that there are boaters out there who do the same passing a ramp or coming into a ramp while people are bringing their boats onto the trailer. It is bloody ignorant behaviour. An indicator of courtesy in today's world.

timddo
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
The aqua duck does not drive slowly into the water , it's more like the drags. There is actually 3 ducks. Aqua duck. adventure duck. ??? duck.

They do not wait there turn either, Always push inline

Chimo
05-01-2012, 08:15 AM
They make waves for the tourists more exciting.

If you want to fix the problem of "Duck Hooning", approach the mob that issues licencing for the "Duck" operations and require that "Ducks" only access the Broadwater on ramps specifically constructed for this purpose. One such ramp has been built at the Sundale Bridge ramp, which you may find is where they are supposed to enter and exit the Broadwater except they may have decided they prefer to do circuits ie in at one spot and out elsewhere to not cover the same area both in and out with the tourists..

Cheers
Chimo

finga
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey Pete...they would already have operating conditions wouldn't they?
One of those most probably be how they enter/exit the water I'd imagine.

Who would issue operating permits? Council?
It would well be worth a call to them to find out details.

chris69
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Ha bensbrick get the boat repaired send them the bill and when they dont pay just tell them you will hand the bill to collection agencey and they will hound them ,no buisness wants a bad credit rateing.

bensbrick
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey Chris

No damage to my boat, Stabi, it is just really annoying if not dangerous the way these guys launch into the water with no consideration of others. Was just wondering if anyone else had this experience. One day I may just pop down and get it on video and take it in to them. I am sure they are well aware of it and I do understand its for the "thrill" of it but its just not on. If my boat was to get damaged from this I would be sending them a bill for sure.

If you watch the video on the link from finga, at the end of it you will see just how much water they push. Imagine trying to load your boat two foot away.

cgibbo308
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
if you get it on video. then take a copy to council, your water ways mob and to the prts authority. im sure one of them would be able to get something done :) remember they are comercialy licenced and have to play by a whole new set of rules.

turkeyslapper
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
The Ducks an #######.

cgibbo308
05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
is the turkey trying to say the duck is a goose?? :D

cgibbo308
05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
The Ducks an #######.
is turkey trying to say the duck is a goose?? :D

GBC
05-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Larc v's are an oversize vehicle. I'd be chatting with qld transport about how they are hooning about without the oversize signs on? Larcs run a couple of transmissions and they are easier to change into and out of in the water. We'd always try to approach the beach at some speed with the prop engaged, slip the prop out of gear and slip the wheels in at the same time, the wheels would hit with a thud and off you'd go. Otherwise you'd creep in with the prop engaged, engage the wheels as well, drive out slowly (with the prop cavitating and making a hell of a mess), stop at the top, pull the prop tranny out, and drive off. Mind you the closest we ever got to the general public was picking up supplies on Thursday island, or taking them for repairs in Darwin.
It is possible to drive a larc with finesse and in a way that a boat owner could put up with, just takes 2 extra stops each time. Those blokes (all coxwains too mind you) are just being arseholes.

cgibbo308
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
dam i stuffed that reply up didnt i.:wut:

dadstinny
05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Best bet would be to get it on video as suggested...

Just a phone camera would do the trick, burn it to disc and make a few copies and then send it to the relevant authorities or multiple ones.

Its surprising with something like that no one has been seriously injured in the process.

Oh Gee
05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
They should be bound by rules and laws under the OH&S and have a "Duty of Care" to their customers and the general public. If operating in a Dangerous or Negligent maner their insurance provider may well have a scare comming.

Crocodile
06-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Hello All,

Remember that this is the Gold Coast, tourism rules.
We citizens do not count when there are tourism interests involved.
A complaint would go something like this, the relevant Govt agency would issue notice, the Duck operators would whinge to the chamber of commerce, the chamber of commerece will get a "poor-me-jobs-jobs-jobs-numbers-are-down-too-much-red-tape" article in the Gold Coast Bulletin, the pollies will ring their hands and nothing get done.
Just look at all the other things that go on with no intervention by the Govt.
Jet skis ride all over surfers, jetski safaris ride through the Bedrooms at 30 knots, kitesurfers ride all over swimmers and flog the beach-goers, hire boats out of control.
The director of QLD Boating and Fisheries Patrol admitted to me that he has only five officers to patrol from the border to Victoria Pt and places west.
He admitted that he does not use the Broadwater on weekends as it is too crazy and out of control.
So if you think that there will be any enforcement at the boatramp, think again.

Alan_L
06-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi all, Crocodile is right, you can get all the video/photo footage you like, but in reality what good will it do? Spend countless hours typing letters, posting off video, I know I have better things to do with my time. If i thought there would be a chance that this would not happen again by going down the whole drama laden path i would. I launch from that ramp maybe twice a month and only mid week, (wont use the ramp on weekends) and the ducks are always there around 1 - 2 ish. If there are no other boats waiting to launch/retrieve I ensure I don't leave enough room for a duck to pass, very simple solution. Maybe I was just unlucky and had a complete @rsehole of an Aquaduck operator the day I got caught, but I'm not risking having it happen again.

Triple
06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't need to film it.. plenty already on youtube.

http://youtu.be/gq6zyYarGwI

http://youtu.be/d6Wd5gi1WNk

Noelm
06-01-2012, 09:02 AM
It may seen pointless to write letters and all that sort of stuff, but to do nothing is probably about as bad as you can get, we all need to make a stand on something that is a danger to the public, I don't know the area or what goes on, but it would seem from the replies, that there is indeed a major problem with either the operation, or the drivers, so evryone who has been affected needs to write letters, emails, and personal approach to the local council and any other authorities, don't just stick your head in the sand and ignore it, but continue to whinge about it. Do something, and do it NOW!

maimai
06-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Shoot them an E Mail with a link to this thread 8-)

frankgrimes
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Yep Ive had same thing happen to me there....they have zero consideration for anyone else using the ramp.

Mick

Captain Seaweed
06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I am going to stick my neck ou and get shot down,

Learn to drive your boat onto a trailer or use another ramp, the people on this bus are having fun and are bringing business into the region. If I went on one of these tours the highlight for me would be the burn down the ramp. This isnt a personal dig, just dont think we need to automatically call up the authorities to shut this bit of fun down.

Marty

bensbrick
06-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Look I am no officer of the fun police, very much the opposite and I can understand the "thrill" of the big splash into the water. I also would not like to see authorities involved when really the simple fix would be to maybe have a little consideration for others using the ramp. If the skippers of these ducks could use a little common sense and if they see people trying to load a boat or whatever, maybe just wait a minute until the boat is safely loaded, give a few extra quacks to hurry them up.

And as for driving a boat on a trailer, yeah pretty much got that one down but when I'm on my own its easier to do it manually.

All good points but when it all boils down to it, i would hate to see someone hurt from something that could be prevented by a little patience.

Ben

frankgrimes
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Learn to drive your boat onto a trailer or use another ramp, the people on this bus are having fun and are bringing business into the region. If I went on one of these tours the highlight for me would be the burn down the ramp. This isnt a personal dig, just dont think we need to automatically call up the authorities to shut this bit of fun down.

Marty

Pretty simple mate - get the aqua duck "skipper" to show some f**king consideration(patience!) for others using the ramp(majority of others seem to grasp this basic concept)...got nothing to do with learning to drive your boat on the trailer.

Goldie boat ramps are busy places....wait your turn, and all is good.

TopBhoy
06-01-2012, 05:55 PM
It may seen pointless to write letters and all that sort of stuff, but to do nothing is probably about as bad as you can get, we all need to make a stand on something that is a danger to the public, I don't know the area or what goes on, but it would seem from the replies, that there is indeed a major problem with either the operation, or the drivers, so evryone who has been affected needs to write letters, emails, and personal approach to the local council and any other authorities, don't just stick your head in the sand and ignore it, but continue to whinge about it. Do something, and do it NOW!

Completely agree. Who knows, when the day comes that someone is badly injured, it could be one of those who choose to ignore it is involved - but its too late!! Its incumbent on everyone who has been affected to write a simple letter of complaint to the licencing authority. Do nothing and when that day arrives when a bad incident occurs, those in a position of responsibility will wring their hands and claim they didn't know.

Devising a set of safe rules and procedures and making them clear for Aqua Duck drivers and boaties alike need not kill anyones enjoyment nor too difficult. I can't see any link between 'safety for all' and 'being a killjoy'; on the contrary, safety and fun are intrinsically linked.

PinHead
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
hmmmm..now the council loves it tourism..lots of letters coming in regarding the ducks..simple solution..close the ramp to the public..ducks only..tourism rules.
Unfortunately , at times, writing and complaining can bring about an adverse result to what you envisaged.

Anyone remember the hovercraft that went from the GC to Brisbane//the rules in favour of that thing were unreal.

DTHCoCo
06-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I think when it comes to public safety regardless of the kill joy they must enter/exit the water in a safe manner.

Marty

TopBhoy
06-01-2012, 10:12 PM
hmmmm..now the council loves it tourism..lots of letters coming in regarding the ducks..simple solution..close the ramp to the public..ducks only..tourism rules.
Unfortunately , at times, writing and complaining can bring about an adverse result to what you envisaged.

Anyone remember the hovercraft that went from the GC to Brisbane//the rules in favour of that thing were unreal.

Take your point but it shouldn't be a 'them and us' situation. With some goodwill and a few easy and sensible measures implemented, all parties can continue with their activities in harmony. Maybe that is where my thinking is gong wrong - maybe everyone does see it as a 'them and us'.

bensbrick
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Well I for one will be writing a letter or popping in to the business itself to get its point and opinion and all depending on what they say will depend on whether or not i write a letter to a number of departments. I am sorry to those who think I am wasting time or risking the closure of a ramp, but if it save someone from being injured i believe its worth it. At the end of the day if they take care it will be easier and cheaper for them then if a member of the public was injured, boats can be repaired but humans can be very expensive.

no offence to anyone but just sitting back and going "o well, won't change anything" is partly the reason this country is becoming the way it is. Anna has us paying enough bloody rego for us not to have a safe facility for ALL to use.

Ben

rayken1938
07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
And again a quick email re a problem can bring about an instant positive outcome.
I sent an email to SEQ water about a problem I was having at a ramp under their control and a suggested resolution.
The next day I received a response thanking me for my input and saying that my suggestion has been implemented so sometimes it is better to go to the controlling body in the first place.
Cheers
Ray

Captain Seaweed
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Post deleted

Captain Seaweed
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
post deleted

Captain Seaweed
07-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Horse
07-01-2012, 07:54 PM
The ramp is designed for boats launching and retrieving in a safe manner. If this Duck is causing problems then a few simple calls to the council and relevant state authorities will have them running for cover.

As for Marty's comment about driving on to trailers I would suggest that several types of hull shape are not conductive to driving on. Several private ramps have banned the practice due to OH&S issues and the damage it does to the integrity of the ramp

Captain Seaweed
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
what cant you drive onto a trailer ?

finga
07-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Usually because of the operator.
A lot of operators really get into their engine/s to get their boats that last 2 feet onto their trailers.
The wash from the engine/s can cause undercutting of the end and sides of the ramp that's under the water which eventually causes damage to ramp.
As an experiment nose your boat up to a beach and put her in gear and open the throttle for 30 seconds and see how much sand is gone.
Some operators do basically the same thing at boat ramps.

Horse
08-01-2012, 05:04 AM

Spot on. Its only private ones that I know of. RQYS is an example

Captain Seaweed
08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Sorry guys got a little pissed last night and for some unknown reason found passion for this thread. I erased my silly posts and have come to terms that if the duck has pissed you off than do what is required.....I have also pu a post it note on my desk it reads "do not offer opinion on Ausfish when drinking beer" :)
Lots of love

Marty

Blackened
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I have also pu a post it note on my desk it reads "do not offer opinion on Ausfish when drinking beer" :)
Lots of love

Marty

Lots of love ? lol.... still drinking?

PinHead
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Sorry guys got a little pissed last night and for some unknown reason found passion for this thread. I erased my silly posts and have come to terms that if the duck has pissed you off than do what is required.....I have also pu a post it note on my desk it reads "do not offer opinion on Ausfish when drinking beer" :)
Lots of love

Marty

LOL marty..only the beer....or be like TOL..on his DDD he would put some posts up and then wake early and go..oh hell, what did I do..then jump on and edit them..LOL

Horse
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Lots of love

MartyMarty, posting under the influence is one of the things that makes AF interesting. I mhave woken up the nrext day and asked myself "why diidn't I just let that one go through to the keeper"

Captain Seaweed
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I did this morning Horse...tell me though why cant people just drive onto their trailers......just kidding Lets "get" the Aqua Duck!

Captain Seaweed
08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
actually JD anyway where were we.......Oh yeah learn to drive onto your....ooops hold on....lets get that plucking duck!!!

banksmister
02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Realy

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/04/02/404645_gold-coast-news.html