PDA

View Full Version : How about this?

Noelm
04-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I was sitting out the back yesterday afternoon pondering various things, and I started thinking about some of the common threads in this section, things like the tight steering one, how about we have a sort of 'common fixes" or something, stickies or a sub section or whatever? we could get some of the knowledgable guys here to construct the text (like say Spaniard King and so on) pass it back and forth a few times to get it 100% right and easy to follow, then post it, get the idea? there is lots of things that get asked time and time again with lots of variations to the solution, we could even go so far as to make a pros and cons of 2 strokes over 4 strokes, though I have no idea how that would go, even how to change your gear oil, any thoughts??

2iar
04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Reckon that's a top idea Noelm...it would have been handy for me earlier in the week but I can't complain about the responses I got.

Noelm
04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
yep, that was my thoughts, but if it was at the top sub section, people could just have a quick look there first (maybe) and all the very common things could be covered in detail, maybe even videos or something, nothing too spectactular, but stuff like your problem, and changing gear oil and plugs, what to look for when buying a second hand boat/motor, all that kind of thing, maybe even a water pump "how to", most questions asked here get answered pretty well, there is a heap of people on here that give their time and offer assistance all the time, but it was just something that seemed to be missing on here.

stumbles
04-01-2012, 09:21 AM
you could just have one sticky thread , then inside just post all the links on the one thread in the first post. then you could just edit it as you go along.

frankgrimes
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Yep agreed Noel - Would be good to have a FAQ(frequently asked questions) section

Mick

TopBhoy
04-01-2012, 04:22 PM
On the face of it it appears to be a good idea but I'm not so sure that the benefits would be sufficient for these reasons:

1) There is a possibility that it'd end up with people simply referred to the FAQ sticky and some interactivity between members may be lost.
2) What topic is determined to be a sticky and who determines it?
3) You will likely incur a reduction in ideas and approaches to the same problem. Posts are normally unlikely to be added to a sticky.
4) Similarly with boats and engines being in numerous configurations, the same problem may require different approaches.
5) Some questions, although asked previously needs to be updated regularly - a sticky may not provide sufficiently up to date information.
6) It would need to be implemented across every forum,not simply boating chat. Thats a lot of extra work for the administrator/mods.

The information contained in any sticky will already be in the forum history archives. Perhaps as a compromise, encouraging people to use the search facility before they post; though I suspect people would just post anyway without searching. Which I don't think is a particularly bad thing; it gets members discussing together, disseminating a wider range of ideas and approaches.

I'm not dogmatic on the issue, just my 2c worth.

tunaticer
04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Could it not be a maintenance section to itself, then break it down into engine, hull, reel, sections again.
It is certainly worth investing in I think.

wags on the water
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't think "discussing " is the correct term - it will be like the normal responce - "do it this way.....:argue:", "nope you're wrong...:furious2: do it this way......", nope you're all wrong..:furious2: do it my way..." blah blah blah.:argue: :furious2:

finga
04-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't think "discussing " is the correct term - it will be like the normal responce - "do it this way.....:argue:", "nope you're wrong...:furious2: do it this way......", nope you're all wrong..:furious2: do it my way..." blah blah blah.:argue: :furious2:
Well Mike. What can I say other then..... your wrong ;D

Also....why don't people use the search feature??
I find answers to most my questions when I use it.

theoldlegend
04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
No he's not.

You are.

TOL

Spaniard_King
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
problem is if the user can determine if the remedy can fix the proiblem or make it worst.

There are some jobs I even hate doing :P

Scott79
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm with Finga, promote the 'search' function a bit more, and it would help if people placed more info in their Thread Titles also.

Agree that alot of topics are covered regularly, but with a changing audience (?) views and opinions will change also. That said, however, I have wondered previously if there would be benefit in more Subject Boards, mainly in the Boating section, "Maintenance" as someone has suggested, "Propellors", "Which Boat / Motor" are probably a couple of others. 4 stroke vs 2 stroke vs Etec probably deserve a separate section too....

Scott.

Noelm
05-01-2012, 05:11 AM
All very valid points raised, I know the search function is rarely used, but the idea was that for common things, the "definitive" repair option could be available, rather than pages of red herrings.

Blusta
05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Good idea. Advice from experts. But the engine debates(which is best, not the common problem issues) should automatically be consigned to the the rubbish bin.

Jarrah Jack
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Its important to encourage new debate and ideas on maintenance issues just as its worthwhile going back through previous threads. I can understand Noelm trying for ways around repeating himself as he generally gives detailed answers to problems year in year out and must wonder if he's in that Groundhog movie sometimes.;D

Another year, he must say to himself, so more posts starting with " Lets do the simple things first" while going on to explain all manner of complicated things:), for me anyway. Not like Oldboot who gets straight in and reminds me of a old lecturer who always had everyone listening intently but didn't have a clue what he was talking about.;D

wags on the water
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
If the newer members used the search function before starting up a new thread, 99% of them could find answers already in the system. I'm a member on another forum where any new thread that has a history is CLOSED and links to the other thread are posted. IMO it should happen here too.

Jarrah Jack
05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
If the newer members used the search function before starting up a new thread, 99% of them could find answers already in the system. I'm a member on another forum where any new thread that has a history is CLOSED and links to the other thread are posted. IMO it should happen here too.

No way Wags, I'd hate to see that.

Noelm
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I can see why it is "nice" to have new posts and new members to start things fresh, and it does promote "debate" over a range of things, sometimes heated, sometimes fun, but even if a new poster asked about (say) steering being tight, someone could just steer (pun) them in the right direction to the "fixit" section, and if there needs to be further comment/interaction then it could continue, now maybe the whole idea was a lame one, but then again, you just never know. There is a lot of very smart people here (on a range of stuff) that can offer assistance and advice on all manner of "broken things" and I doubt that a seperate sticky sort of section would undermine that, but then, from some of the replies, maybe it would.

johncar
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
It is a good idea Noelm, and it would simplify many questions answers but it would also take a fair amount of life out of a forum. My small exposure to forums has seen some forums that a question is hardly ever asked because newbies just get roasted for not refering to the stickies or doing the appropriate search, so it may be just better to just allow members to ask whatever even if it has be done to death. I think it keeps the forum more alive by just letting things go and revisiting them again when the topic comes up and remember it's a new situation for the one involved. Pasting a link to previous debate can always be done if one remembers it.

Stuart
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I go on car and engine forums and they have sticky topics as suggested. I find them very handy. There are many topics that could be covered, even basic stuff such as packing wheel bearings

TopBhoy
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I go on car and engine forums and they have sticky topics as suggested. I find them very handy. There are many topics that could be covered, even basic stuff such as packing wheel bearings

....and on page 1 you'd end up with it being all stickies and new topics relegated to page 3....lol