PDA

View Full Version : steering problem

Inlike
02-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi folks i have a 1995 115 mercury on my cruise craft that has cable steering. Over the last couple of uses i've found my steering geting gradually harder to turn.. I've greased the nipples at the motor and checked the steering box in the cabin with no such luck.. Should I take back of steering box off and lubricate or does someone thik the problem is at the motor where the cables go inside. Just asking if it is something I can have a go at or visit the boat doctor. Any advice appreciated..Thanks Paul...:P

ozscott
02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Mate it will almost certainly be at the motor. Undo the nuts and out with the steering cable. You can then work it in and out whilst cleaning the (now hard) grease off. Clean out the tilt tube with some rag and an auger bit (and if pitted you can bring it up with fine sandpaper) - degreaser helps. Then back in without grease, and before it goes in saturate with auto trans fluid, then back in and make sure the end cap seals - get a new style felt one or similar if you need to.

Cheers

Peter4
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Was it you and two mates abandoning a launch at Wello Point ramp this morning due to stuck steering?

Noelm
03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
there is a bit of trouble shooting to do first, you need to determine if the problem is at the motor or the cable, so.. disconnect the steering drag link (the bit that connects the cable to the motor) and see if the motor is nice and free with no cable, and then try the wheel and see if that is the problem! if it is the cable, remove it and buy a new one, do NOT try to free it up, you will be only buying a bit of time, it will need to be replaced, now if the motor is tight, then you have a whole bag of grief coming your way, the motor has probably been greased with plain old bearing or water proof grease, and over time, it has gone as hard as a rock, your only hope will be heat on the swivel bracket, and have someone pump MARINE grease in while you heat and wriggle the motor back and forth, if that does not work, remove and dismantle and clean is the only option. Now some slightly better news, it maybe the tilt tube where the cable goes through the front of the motor (very common) you will need to pull the cable out (sometimes a shit to do) and clean the inside of the tube and the solid stainless rod that goes through there, then re-assemble with fresh MARINE grease and your done. There has been lots of threads about using power steering fluid and stuff on there, but I like marine grease, so before you do anthing, find out what is at fault first.

2iar
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I had similar symptoms recently:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?180827-Seized-steering-URGENT-HELP-PLEASE

Noelm's advice above was the most relevant to my set of circumstances - I originally thought it was hardened grease but turned out to be the steering cable. Unfortunately, I needed to have the motor taken off to fit a new one but this isn't always the case, it depends how much room on either side of the motor you have to work with. Follow Noelm's advice and disconnect the cable from the motor first and see if the wheel turns ok - if it doesn't the cable's likely to be stuffed. It'll cost about $125 for a new one if you're running a teleflex and easy enough to replace (assuming you don't need to take the motor off).

Good luck,
Mike

Noelm
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
yep, you need to find out where the trouble is, very basic hand tools and some easy mechanical stuff.

Inlike
03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
No peter4 still can use just tighter....

Inlike
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks everybody es noel suggested it appears to be the cable. How does the cable wear when it appears to in a firm red cover not open to the ellements ? Cheers Paul..

Fed
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
it appears to be the cable
How did you diagnose that Inlike?

Inlike
03-01-2012, 05:24 PM
2iar Where did you buy your cable from and how do I know if it is a teleflex.Thanks Paul....

ozscott
03-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Good stuff - yep thought it would be at the motor end, not the helm end. Its likely to be teleflex - from memory there is a number on the black sheath. Just check that and then call a teleflex dealer with the number. When mine went like yours I pulled it out and cleaned it up as per my post above, and I got another year or so out of it, but as Noelm says replacement is the best option if you have the coin.

Cheers

Inlike
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Fed I disconnected the cable from the motor completely and still found hard to turn .. I found a part of the cable red outer covering broken by rubbing on a screw head under the gunny from one of the rod holders..I do'nt know if that is where the problem lies as maybe corrosion has entered inside the covering...

Inlike
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Ozcott ..Where is the black sheath located..Thanks

ozscott
03-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Mate have a look on the. Lack cable cover leading away from the outboard or up near the helm from memory. Cheers

Owen
04-01-2012, 06:18 AM
If its a red steering cable you may have to replace the helm as well as the cable
The newer cables are all black and have a different sized fitting on the helm end
Take your old cable with you to make sure you get the right length and fittings

2iar
04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
2iar Where did you buy your cable from and how do I know if it is a teleflex.Thanks Paul....

I had to get i down at Marineland Bundy as I'm in 1770 on holiday, but they have them in Whitworths...

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=126&item=82370&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=82389&search123=steering

From the conversation above you might not have a teleflex cable - mine has a black sheath with the name on it in white lettering.

Good luck,
Mike

Noelm
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
almost any boat shop will have a cable and/or helm in stock, (some types the cable cannot be removed from the helm) the length is usually stamped into the plastic covering near the motor end, if in doubt, just pull it out and take it with you, it is an easy job, but takes a bit of time as you have to thread it through all sorts of holes and bends, they dont wear as such, they usually get crap inside them that just binds them up, if the outer covering has been cracked or brokem, salt water will have been creeping in, and the cable will be stuffed. The newer cables are heaps better than the old ones, but still no substitute for hydraulic, the side mount hydraulic is quite cheap these days too.

Inlike
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Everyone for your help. Many fish to all of you......:P;);DPAUL

Giffo65
04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Paul

I had this problem with my cable steering a month or so ago, after 9 years of faithful service.I decided to replace with Hydraulic steering,and I love it.Easy to fit as well,I used the bullhorn style ram.