PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba Coastguard training exercise.......

randell
02-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Hello all,
This exercise went bad yesterday.......
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/01/02/coast-guard-crews-lucky-escape-crew-tossed-into-wa/

There was also a trawler damaged on the bar new years eve.....
Someone said there was 60cm at low water............
randell

randell
02-01-2012, 05:00 AM
further photos

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/photos/galleries/mooloolaba-bar-boat-accident/#num=1&id=mooloolaba-bar-boat-accident
randell

deckie
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Time to sell that rig.
Looks a bit top heavy with that hard top and added gear, and usually if a rig looks top heavy it is.
Freak wave or not, the conditions are a clue and the guys deserve to be confident taking to unpredictable water in the future, in a rig they can trust.
I'm sure owners of the same make would disagree of course...but one result like that in good conditions is too many for rescue craft.
Blaming it on the bar is too easy...ask guys all along the coast and their bars will always be the worst they've seen for years and need dredging.

trueblue
02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
can't see the boat making a lot of difference if they bottomed out on a sandbar...

randell
02-01-2012, 07:32 AM
A couple of days ago Queensland Maritine safety downgraded the Mooloolah Seaway to the status of a coastal bar, because of the sandbar.

randell

Stu Dows
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
I have been accross the bar a few times over the chrissy new year and it more difficult than a normal bar because wher you head out you cannot see the swell it is hidden by the rock wall. to make it more difficult the swell comes from the side with most waves carrying surfers an skiers. The Coast Gard up hear are made up of some great people who do an awsome job most having a navy or shipping background.
I will be cleaning out my ashtray next time I am down the boat ramp to give a donation as they operate on dontions alone, the boat in question will need repairs that will hit there budget hard.

fisho8
02-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Main thing is is that they are all ok and in 1 piece nasty mishap that one.

Fido
03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
My initial thoughts were along the line of Deckie. Whilst the bar might have had a few tricks up it's sleeve. The structure and placement of the hardtop(there are already designs tests for this and I would have imagined that this test would have been done in the design process),waterline width of the beam, the deadrise of the boat and the position of crew at the time. All of these are contributing factors in the boats overall stability at any time?

Richo1
03-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Glad to hear no one was hurt, except for a few egos maybe! Hope I never end up in that position.

All boats will roll when put into the right circumstances, blaming the boat is too easy. What do they say "A good Tradesman never blames his tools". Understanding the limitations of your boat is paramount before crossing any Bar, rescue situation or not.
Experience sometimes makes people complacent, with the attitude of "I've been out in worse" or "I've done it a thousand times". A good reminder to us all, never underestimate mother nature or she will turn around and bite you on the arse...or worse!

lethal098
03-01-2012, 08:11 AM
That Vessel Is under Commercial Survey so it is Surveyed for Stability as well, If the Hard top created an Unsafe vessel, then i doubt it would have passed Survey all these years.

Its not good when something like this happens but be around boats and the water long enough and Shit happens.

Cheers Lee

randell
04-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Had a look this morning just after high tide, looks great.
randell

randell
04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
more pics of the Mooloolah Rv bar this morning around 6am just after high tide.
I watched about 30 boats go out.
I hear the spotty macs are off Pt Cartright.. some birds working 200 mtrs off the wall.
The dredge started work.

randell

Smithy
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
As per Lee's comments, it was a surveyed vessel over 6m so all its stability calcs etc. would have been done for it to pass survey. It is an awesome lookig boat and I had spoken to the Coast Guard Commander a year or so ago to see when it was up for renewal before I bought my boat. At that stage they were hanging onto it for a few more years but the big Cairns Custom Craft "Rhonda Rescue" will be coming up for sale soon. "Rotary II" is a 7.3m Fisher with twin 115m Yammie 4 bangers.

GBC
05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Poor buggers. No worse feeling than running out of water and digging in a leg as a wave picks you up. I'm sure i'm not the only one here who's done it. Calcs go out the window when you're on the bottom because you're no longer in charge of a boat, just a sitting duck for the next roller to play with. Wouldn't have mattered what they were in, and as most would know I'm pretty quick with a Fisher jibe. :)