PDA

View Full Version : Free under floor flotation !!

bf90
01-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I have pulled up the floor on my new boat and taken out all the foam flotation that was in there from the factory, there is a fair bit of it as I have a 5.4 metre half cab. I will keep a few bits to stand on for a softer ride but I sure dont want the rest of it. If anyone out there would like it for under floor flotation or what ever give me a holler and as long as you come pick it up ya can have it. pick up is at Loganholme. :D Cheers, Brad.

eureka
01-01-2012, 08:26 PM
WTF? this is a joke right

bf90
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
no joke eureka, most of the foam is 200mm wide by 300 to 1 metre long.

OPTI
01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
do you know its there for a good reason

Dan5
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Please don't go to far offshore....................i'd hate to read about you or hear something on the TV.

Might be a good idea to put it back in mate,like Opti says it's there for a reason,other than standing on that is.

bf90
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
yeah mate I know, but there is method in my madness, I have noticed that with all of it jammed under the floor, it just never dries out and in no time flat the floor will rot out. Bugger that!! To take the place of the under floor foam I will use a under the gunal flotation as well as a weather balloon hooked up to a bottle that will fill the balloon in the case of water setting it off. More than one way to skin a cat. The balloon will be set in the cab area so it cant come out of the boat if it inflates.

bf90
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Dan most of my fishing is around flat rock :)
and in the bay if it is too rotten to get outside.

swabio
01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
lol, maybe you can get many weather balloons and fly the boat back ;) But only if the prevailing winds are favourable!

Dan5
01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
yeah mate I know, but there is method in my madness, I have noticed that with all of it jammed under the floor, it just never dries out and in no time flat the floor will rot out. Bugger that!! To take the place of the under floor foam I will use a under the gunal flotation as well as a weather balloon hooked up to a bottle that will fill the balloon in the case of water setting it off. More than one way to skin a cat. The balloon will be set in the cab area so it cant come out of the boat if it inflates.

That is a strange way to go about saving a floor..........Are weather balloons actually rated as PFD's?........if it inflates?........surely your taking the piss here right?

Squidlet
01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Alive, alive, ooooh!!!!!

Nathan Tuskes
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Thought about just putting a single layer of 600 csm on the underside to seal it. Will add all of 5-10th kg and be fully sealed and you can keep your flotation that meets Australian standard.......

eureka
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
lets get this right your going to stand on the foam which is 300 x 200 for a softer ride ? you do know its the 1st of january not the 1st of april you must be laughing at us for even replying

z50man
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
pool noodles ,, they have a fire retardant in them , easy to put in and get out and last forever and very high floatation, and if the kids want something to do pull a few out for them ....

Muddy Toes
01-01-2012, 11:33 PM
So what boat is all this foam coming out of?
What is the easily rotted out deck made from?
Is it wet all the time because of all the rain we've had?
Is it wet all the time because the bungs are in?
Maybe have a think about a few other alternatives before doing something you may regret.....all the above responses are popping up for a reason.
If this is a joke though it would make sense to tell everyone that you usually fish Flat Rock.

Richo1
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
On the topic of underfloor floatation some thing to be aware of;

I had a problem in my last boat with the underfloor flotation (foam blocks) causing corrosion where it sat ontop of the aluminium hull. Any salt/leaves etc that ended up in the bilge dried and crystalised between the foam and the hull. If anyone out there has a similar set up it is a good idea to pull your floor & floatation up once a year to clean out underneath it, or at least fill your bilge up to the floor with freshwater on a regular basis. Really annoyed me when I pulled the floor up after a year and found a large proportion of the hull pitted with corrosion.