PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Dam i Found

fishinwahbee
31-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I Found this Dam which is stoked full of 40cm plus fish. The water is not running or nothing just a small dam on a property about the 25m x25m. The edges are lined with lilies and often see them producing surface strikes because the fish seem to like the structure. The western side of the dam is the spot that nearly holds all the fish. The dam is well maintained lawn mowed and reeds cut. The western side has a old garden with medium size gum tress, ferns and basically just scrub. The edge is lined with fallen timber and every time you you drop your line in you have some action. I usually use bread under a float, basic i know but would like to target them on lures. The dam does not have bait fish as they were never stoked. I'm assuming the fish would be eating small Yabbys and bugs, don't know but, nothing was stoked but fish, maybe something to imitate those. The squidgy critter or worm. They love garden worms and bread. The fish which are in the system are mainly Barcoo Grunter, as well as silver perch and maybe sooty grunter cant really remember and don't know haha.

Cheers FW

Apollo
01-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I would be trying a surface lure late or early in the day. Something like a small black popper or a jitterbug as these fish would be targeting insects, etc that would be falling from the trees and being blown in by wind. There will be some small fish hiding in there and being eaten, even if they weren't stocked. We have them in our dams and they were never stocked. I would try a small minnow style lure like a TD Shinner. I hope they don't have sooty grunter in there as we are starting to see them show up in local systems after being washed out of private dams in floods and this is not good for local species.

Have fun.
Steve

finga
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey little matey...I assume you have asked the property owner if you can fish there.
People tend to get shot at out here for walking into peoples places and start fishing.
And to ask is just the proper thing to do.
It seems people just assume they can fish where-ever they want now-a-days when in reality they're just going to find themselves in a whole lot of trouble by trespassing on someone else's property.

If you have permission then keep the place to yourself :)

Anything that imitates what they eat will get a strike.
Can't fail with worms dug out of the bank (but NOT the dam wall).
Try fly fishing. It's a whole lot of good fun in dams like that.

MudRiverDan
02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Try early morning for surface strikes.

Yellowjack
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Poppers are what I use for surface strikers, Striker Pro make them in the bigger range so that you can cast further, Bass dont seem to care about the size not sure about other species.
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Strike-Pro-Twitchin-Pop-Lure-A06E.aspx?pid=167451

Early morning before 5:30 or late afternoon around 5ish.

fishinwahbee
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Cheers Guys, The dam is on My Grandpa's 12 acre property. Surface Fishing sounds great The fish that are in their are Barcoo Grunter and silver perch after talking to him about it. This surface fishing sounds like it is more of a Bass thing, will this work on these fish?

finga
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Cheers Guys, The dam is on My Grandpa's 12 acre property. Surface Fishing sounds great The fish that are in their are Barcoo Grunter and silver perch after talking to him about it. This surface fishing sounds like it is more of a Bass thing, will this work on these fish?
Your a lucky little fella having a grandpa with a dam full of fish :)

Mate. sit down and watch the water from just before dawn until about 7am and from 4.30 in the arvo until dark
Watch how the fish feed. This is what you have to try and replicate.