PDA

View Full Version : Need work

fishinwahbee
28-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi guys and girls
Does anyone have any jobs or know of anyone that would be able to help me out. Im 14 and i would like to work with a job which has something to do fishing. Perhaps a tackle store or Something. Any opportunities i would be very appreciative. I live on the sunshine coast, feel free to PM

Cheers FW

finga
29-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Good on you for wanting to get out there and get a job.
Do the hard yards and go and visit tackle shops and the like in your area and ask of there's any jobs available.

Best of luck with it.

wags on the water
29-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Good on you for wanting to get out there and get a job.
Do the hard yards and go and visit tackle shops and the like in your area and ask of there's any jobs available.

Best of luck with it.
Good advice Scott.
Going in and asking will work better for you than picking up the phone and dialing a number. It shows some initiative and the willingness to work.

All the best.

stumbles
29-12-2011, 07:55 AM
yeh like the others have said best would be to go visit places you would want to work and say you would be happy to help tidy up and basic jobs etc, probally smaller type shops as being 14 I dont think they could legally employ you anyways.

mattooty
29-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Fishing charters as either a decky or helping clean the boat, fish-mongers (not just your local fish n chip shop) but one where you can help them clean fish, sort prawns prepare displays, tackle stores, marina's and boat dealers.
Each one of these places have jobs that you'd be suited to, whether that be cleaning fish, washing boats, mowing lawns or whichever, they can be a foot in the door. If you can show a keenness to learn, initiative and some passion you'll go far. Let them know you don't mind doing menial boring jobs to begin with. Let them know you'll do anything to show your commitment to a position. I know a ton of charter operators down here in NSW who can't stand cleaning their boat when they finish up for the day, there's an hour each day helping them clean.
Just show up in person, dress nicely, smile and be confident. Don't blabber, just tell them straight up. You're looking for a job, you love fishing and want to do something that involves that.

Back In Black
29-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Mate, from someone who has hired & fired hundreds over the years, here are a few pointers from a boss" perspective. If you score a job interview, be early. I refuse to interview anyone if even a minute late. Look the interviewer in the eye, not at the floor. Have a firm handshake & speak clearly. Offer a days work free if you are serious about getting the job (it saves lots of paperwork if unsuccessful) & never turn up to work on time. Be 10 minutes early & be actually working at the start time.
Anyone who turns up on my doorstep unannounced will get an interview. It shows fortitude & effort. Way too easy to fax or email a resume off. Get out there & knock on doors, & not just once. Be persistent without being annoying. Just a friendly reminder you are still there & keen.
Tony

mattooty
30-12-2011, 12:55 PM
It doesn't matter how many times someone says it, what Back in Black just said is gold, and will get you a job sooner than later. To many people know these tricks yet can't pull a trick because they don't use them. It doesn't hurt to be persistant. It isn't embarrassing to be early. An employer isn't going to laugh at you for asking for work. They WANT you to ask them for work. It might not be there right now but it will be eventually!