PDA

View Full Version : Seized steering URGENT HELP PLEASE

2iar
27-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi All,

I arrived in 1770 yesterday on our annual pilgrimage. A bit of un eventful journey given that I blew both trailer tyres on the way, and I only had one spare. Lesson learnt, but a big thank you to Gin Gin Dave's mobile tyre repair for getting us back on the road. I can sort this out when the tyre place opens tomorrow.

That's not the end of the drama though...my steering on the Suzuki DF70 has seized. I had previously read (too late unfortunately) not to pump too much grease into the nipple above the ram. I managed to free it with some elbow grease when it seized back in Brisbane a few months ago and I've been aware of this since then and make sure I move the outboard every week or two and that has always been ok as I haven't had a chance to have it fixed properly (I understand this involves taking the motor off to get the hardened grease out). More fool me, as it seems really stuck this time. I've given it heaps of curry but only seem to have caused some grief to the tilt motor that won't now bring it right up.

Given that it's a public holiday, the only place open is the bait and tackle place but they're telling me Bundy or Gladstone is where the nearest outboard mech is. Does any Ausfisher have any bright ideas or even better a contact in Agnes/1770 that I could have a yarn to? Really appreciate any help guys...it'll be so frustrating if I have to return home with the family at the end of my holiday and not get the boat wet especially after the the wife's less than impressed mood yesterday while waiting on the Bruce Highway for my mate Dave...

Thanks in advance,
Mike

2iar
27-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Alternatively, if anyone knows an outboard mech/reliable repair dealership in Bundy or Gladstone that might be able to fix it in a hurry, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

oldboot
27-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Oh bugger.:'(

What sort of steering system is it?

I hope you have tools.

If it is a cable system with a rod that goes thru the tilt tube, the remidy is relativly simple, but labourious.

But hey its not like ya goin' fishin;)

Basicly ya need to pull the rod assembly out of the tilt tube, clean & lubricate it.
If its realy bad ya mught have to dis-assemble the whole tilt tube.

That can be easier said than done, ya may have to get something in there to soften the hardened & packed grease.

Best of luck with that.

Auto transmission fluid may help..its a fairly fine oil that gets in reasonable well.
Of course there is lanolin spray too.

Probably need to look at the type of grease you are using too.

You may need to look at a grease that is less prone to packing & drying, or depending on where the grease is, using oil rather than grease.

cheers

Richo1
27-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Bugger sorry to hear things aren't going to plan. You might like to check the cable first, disconnect it and make sure it's working without the motor attached. The last time I experience a similar problem it was a broken cable/steering.
Good luck

2iar
27-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys, not having the proper tools is bit of a challenge but I managed to disconnect the cable from the outboard and can now move it from side to side manually so it may not have been seized by grease after all. The tilt's back to normal as well(?) which is a relief as I can now get it high enough to fit the travelling bracket.

I've figured out, after much cursing, how to also disconnect the cable from the steering wheel - so how can I confirm that it's stuffed - is it as simple as pulling at one end and if it doesn't pull cable through the tube it's rubber-ducked?

If it is stuffed, are replacement cables standard? Am I likely to be able to get one in stock in Bundy or Gladstone? Are they made to measure or off the shelf length? The reason I ask is I have a mate driving up from Coolum tomorrow and could ask him to drop in somewhere on the way (Noosa or Gympie?) and pick one up and fit it myself when he gets here...

Thanks for the advice so far...I've got the beach rod as backup but I'll remain in the dog house if I don't get the boat wet :-)

Good luck,
Mike

oldie
27-12-2011, 01:25 PM
if the cable is a black teleflex type, the cable length should be written on the cable somewhere its in feet, then ask you mate to get you that length cable, most boat shops will have cables jut need to find the right length, i'd ring around BCF,Marine yards etc to find out if they have the size. How old is the cable? if its a red cable you'll need a whole new helm if i'm not mistaken

2iar
27-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Oldie, that sounds encouraging as it's black and about 6 years old. By "teleflex" do you mean it's innards are metal and in a spiral pattern,? if so, then yes. Before I pull the whole cable out, how can I confirm it's stuffed - just do the pull one end to see if the other end shortens thing?

Thanks mate you're a legend...and on a public holiday too :-)

Mike

ozscott
27-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Per Riho above unwind the nut holding in the steering ram in the tilt tube and see if it extends when free of the tube. It may just need a degrease and relube and to clean out the tilt tube. You would be better replacing if it is old. Just lube with auto trans oil. Don't grease the steering. Cheers

oldie
27-12-2011, 01:53 PM
if the motor end is not going in and out its most likely from hardened grease or the cable is rat shite, the only way i know of to free it up is when the cable is still attached to the motor, get a mate at the helm and you at the motor, get a can of de greaser and as he turns you push motor and spray the de greaser in the cable (motor in) it shall free up the hard grease and keep wiping it off as the cable comes further out, it looks and is like your trying to push your motor off the boat, the guy at the helm also has to be carefull not to crack the interior teeth of the helm, de greaser is a start to spray on the motor end. I'm not sure you need to check the helm end cable. Check under your gunwal and see what you up against for replacement before you start ripping it out as it may be harder with out any proper tools. Good Luck

2iar
27-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I now think the bit at the motors ok. sorry for being a bit thick, but if the cable is ok and disconnected from the motor but still connected to the helm I should be able to move the steering wheel freely? Because right now, I can do set it up that way and can't move the steering wheel more then 45 degrees (and no action at the disconnected-motor end)...

Spaniard_King
27-12-2011, 02:29 PM
If the engine is disconnected from the steering cable and the cable is free to move within the engine tilt tube then you should be able to move the steering wheel and in turn the rod should also move. At this stage iff the steering wheel locks then most likely you have broken teeth as Oldie has mentioned and a new helm and cable will be needed.

6 years old its unlikely the cable would have any internal issues othert han a little stiffer than new.

I use 16mm or 5/8 all thread rod as a file to clean oput the tilt tube

I then lubricate them with white lithium grease

2iar
27-12-2011, 03:43 PM
B***ard of a thing.

When the cable was disconnected from the rod, the engine could happily be swung left and right which makes me think that the hardened grease theory was a furphy as the rod was moving freely.

I reconnected the helm without reconnecting the motor end to see if the wheel pulls the cable through at the other end (it didn't), which makes me think it's the cable itself. I don't think the teeth in the helm are gone as it readily accepted the cable when reconnecting and the wheel spun round fine when there was no cable connected. But now the p**ck of a thing can't be disconnected from the helm again and the bloody tilt won't come right up again. Under the helm I'm inserting the pin into the hole per the instructions and trying to pull the cable back out but it won't budge. :-(

Unless anyone has any inspiration I think I'll need to do the round trip of 250 km's in the hope a pro can repair it in Bundy or Gladstone very quickly. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Moonlighter
27-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Contact Graham Jeffers, he's in 1770 most of the time and is a Zuke guru, phone 0418740125.

Cheers

ML

Fed
27-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I understand your frustration mate so please don't take this the wrong way.
Are there any other boaters around you could ask because it really should only take 5 minutes to figure out what the problem is.
Fixing it may not be quite as fast though if you need parts.

2iar
27-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Contact Graham Jeffers, he's in 1770 most of the time and is a Zuke guru, phone 0418740125.

Cheers

ML

Thanks Moonlighter, does he live/work here as a mech? I wouldn't want to bother him if he's on his holidays like me....

2iar
27-12-2011, 05:53 PM
I understand your frustration mate so please don't take this the wrong way.
Are there any other boaters around you could ask because it really should only take 5 minutes to figure out what the problem is.
Fixing it may not be quite as fast though if you need parts.

Thanks Fed, unfortunately no, not where I am and without just rocking up and bugging random blokes at the boat ramp etc it doesn't look like an option. I'm fairly sure it's the cable and since they don't have anywhere in Agnes, it's looking like a road-trip. None of the boat places I've called today are open so it's fingers crossed that someone can fit me in soon in Bundaberg or Gladstone.

Moonlighter
27-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Yep, lives there and services boats and motors. Has a shed outside town, I understand. May have some parts to help you with, a call can't hurt.

Cheers

ML

Tangles
27-12-2011, 07:36 PM
If that doesnt work out, PM Cheech, we needed some work done up there last M&G at 1770 so he should have the details... he loves his Yammie 2 strokes though, semi retired and does all the VMR motors from memory

mike

2iar
27-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Yep, lives there and services boats and motors. Has a shed outside town, I understand. May have some parts to help you with, a call can't hurt.

Cheers

ML

Once again, the power of Ausfish. Thanks heaps ML, I'm seeing Graeme in the morning - if he can't free it up, at least he'll be able to definitively diagnose the problem and will be able to tell me what part(s) I need. If I need to pick them up I can phone ahead and at least I might not have to drag the boat.

Thanks everyone who took the trouble to reply. I'll let you know the outcome if you're still interested :-)

Giffo65
27-12-2011, 09:22 PM
2iar

I am in Bundy,I have pm you my contact,if you need some help give me a call.

Fed
28-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Got a big hammer Giffo my money is on being stuck in the tilt tube.

We should take bets, good luck today 2iar.

oldboot
28-12-2011, 10:34 AM
If there is no other help......it may be that the grease in the cable has gone hard or some such......there is not much to loose......pull the cable out and try pouring some auto tranny fluid down it.........that might free it up.

once its straight you may be able to get enough movement out of it to get some lube down there and free it up

Hanging it vertical off some steps or off a tree might help the oil to get in.

cheers

2iar
28-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Got a big hammer Giffo my money is on being stuck in the tilt tube.

We should take bets, good luck today 2iar.

Update:

I've been to see my mate Graeme (thanks again Moonlighter) and within 2 minutes he confirmed what I thought - the steering cable is rooted. As bad as he's seen apparently, which makes me feel a little bit better about my efforts to free it myself. The bad news is the motor needs to come off to fit a new cable but the good news is that Graeme has the equipment for the job and will do it tomorrow morning after I run down to Bundy today to pick up a 14' Teleflex quick-connect cable, of which there are 3 in stock at Marineland. What a legend.

There was nothing wrong with the trim/tilt after all - Graeme showed me a switch near the steering rod that I must have knocked inadvertently :-)

My mood has improved since yesterday too :-)

I'll keep you posted...

Mike

LittleSkipper
28-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Gidday Mike...alias 2iar.

Gee! I've just read this entire thread and am gobsmacked at the fantastic response from fellow Ausfishers on a boaty on holidays with his family with a more than minor mechanical problem, That's what I call the AUSSIE SPIRIT! Brilliant! Would like to suggest Mike too invest in hydraulic steering once you return home from your holiday, I am definately going to go this way and ditch the cable steering system at the first chance I get from info I've read on Ausfish praising the hydraulic system. Hope you get your boat in the water soon? Good Luck!

Cheers
Wayno's.

Moonlighter
28-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Good stuff, Mike. You'll be back on the water before you know it. Graham knows his stuff and will sort you out.

For what it's worth, I agree with the earlier post: hydraulic steering is very nice, I fitted a Hydrive side mount system to my last boat which had a 70 Yammy and later a 90 TLDI Tohatsu, it was th best thing I ever did. My current boat has a Hydrive front mount system and is also great. If you wait until boat show time, Whitworths usually have a 15% off everythin sale and that's when to buy!

Cheers

ML

TheRealAndy
28-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Nice result.

I have cable steering in my boat, never been a problem, but then again, I don't use grease! Every now and then I open up the nut on the tube and use a syringe to fill the cable and tube with auto transmission fluid..

2iar
28-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi All,

Yes I completely agree about Ausfish, it's incredible and I'd be stuffed without it. The last time I asked for help, I made the point that while I'm not nearly as frequent a poster as I used to be because I'm pretty busy these days, I can't question the value I get out of the collective knowledge we share on the board when we get a chance. For a few bucks a year to keep Steve and the gang running the show, you'd be mad not to contribute financially if you're in a position to do so in my opinion, particularly you can't contribute with information as frequently as you'd like (like me).

Ironically, I intended to invest in hydraulic steering at some point and the Hydrive was the system I had my eye on but this predicament has forced my hand. I reckon I'd be pushing it to get Graeme to do an install while he's on his holidays :-) not to mention the increasing bill so far for two blown tires (one an emergency call out on a public holiday), the fuel for the 250 round trip to pick up the part, a new tire and rim to give me two spares where previously I'd only carried one and the labour for tomorrow - before the boat even sees he water. Still cheaper then a divorce of course, but I might be looking at one of them if I suggested an upgrade of the steering system as the silver lining of this cloud :-)

Anyway, I have the new cable after a leisurely run to Bundy and I'm dropping in to see the man in the morning. In the meantime, a beer beckons.

Thanks everyone for your help and good wishes.

Good luck,
Mike

2iar
29-12-2011, 02:19 PM
AUSFISH YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!

We're all good. A couple of hours with Graeme and $180 and she's good as new. Thanks everyone for assistance, now let's hope the weather plays the game.

Good luck,
Mike