PDA

View Full Version : Rope starting a 200HO ETEC !

Lancair
24-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Check this out.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=ccc2217bc2b75c4bdf5f7e57267f0464&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etecownersgroup.com%2Fpost%2F Will-a-200-hp-pull-start-5217280%3Ftrail%3D30&v=1&libid=1324689903261&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyE4 gXSYvwWk%26feature&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etecownersgroup.com%2Fpost%2F Will-a-200-hp-pull-start-5217280&title=Will%20a%20200%20hp%20pull%20start%3F%20-%20Owners%20Message%20Board&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyE4 gXSYvwWk%26amp%3Bfeature&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13246902040027

Positive lead disconnected simulating DEAD FLAT battery or no battery at all.
Try doing that with any other 200HP outboard !

ShaneC
24-12-2011, 11:49 AM
You wouldn't need to pull start any other 200 HP motor........

Makka Nick
24-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Batteries don't go flat on fourstrokes???? This was one of the main reasons I chose an Etec. I would hazard a guess that the majority of marine rescue tows are due to flat batteries.

fisho8
24-12-2011, 11:57 AM
:wiseguy: I can feel another ETEC thread coming on here must go get the popcorn heh heh. Good they built that feature in it would come in handy most of the time.

ShaneC
24-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Batteries dont go flat on 4 strokes..... you just get good batteries with the money you save on oil

oldboot
24-12-2011, 12:25 PM
UM..have you tried to rope start any largish 2 stroke outboard?

As a matter of exercise I have rope started my old everude 60 two stroke and my bro' inlaws 30 Hp merc......both of them started much easier than my 10Hp rider mower....in fact when warm both of them would be less effort than starting myb 5Hp rover walk behind..

A 200Hp motor may take a bit more starting than what I have tried, but it will be multi cylinder and the compression will be reasonably low.

Another ETEC beat up.
Still wont help you when the injectors are stuffed or the ECU has failed or the bores have seased.

Whos up for showing us how they rope start their non ETEC 200Hp two stroke.

cheers

Triple
24-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Show me one with decent compression getting started with a rope like that.. Sure it isn't in gear and there is someone with a rattle gun on the prop nut? ;)

wayno60
24-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I can feel another ETEC thread coming on So is this whole etec V any thing else a bit like holden V ford??
or are the etec really that bad?

oldboot
24-12-2011, 12:55 PM
They problay arent all that bad, they just aren't as good as they claim themselves to be.

Thats BRP all over, claiming their products are wonderfull, marvelous and better than everybody else, when in fact they are a one trick pony and their technology is just a pile of old rope packaged up in a new bag.

cheers

Jabba_
24-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Batteries don't go flat on four strokes???? This was one of the main reasons I chose an Etec. I would hazard a guess that the majority of marine rescue tows are due to flat batteries.

That is absolutely correct. Especially Sunday afternoons...

Jabba_
24-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Show me one with decent compression getting started with a rope like that.. Sure it isn't in gear and there is someone with a rattle gun on the prop nut? ;)
That's a brand new motor that Hewitt marine had only just rigged the day before..
I would be interested if you are able to rope start a 200 or bigger 4st.. For that matter any 4st that is not a dedicated rope start motor.

After seeing this video on E-tec owners group I tried it myself.. It started real easy.. Next, I'm going to try it with flat batteries.. I have before rocked up to the ramp with 2 flat batteries (left the VHF on through the week didn't I) and had to jump start using the Navara...
It would off been so much easier had I known I could rope start the motor..

Stuart
24-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I remember when FICHT technology come out, didnt that bit them in the arse? I must admit Im a bit tired of the Etec/ 4 stroke thing. Who cares, buy what you think is a qulity outboard. If your stuck out to sea and the battery is dead, well what other options do you have other than a peice of string and the Coast guard.

Stu

scuttlebutt
24-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Out of interest I had to rope-start a Mariner 90 fourstroke I used to have once. It was surprisingly easy. I think it was an 02 model with carbys.

FishHunter
24-12-2011, 04:51 PM
They problay arent all that bad, they just aren't as good as they claim themselves to be.

Thats BRP all over, claiming their products are wonderfull, marvelous and better than everybody else, when in fact they are a one trick pony and their technology is just a pile of old rope packaged up in a new bag.

cheers

Blah blah blah blah. so its only BRP that lie in their advertising

oldboot
24-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Blah blah blah blah. so its only BRP that lie in their advertising

No but they seem to make far more noise doing it than anybody else.

cheers

finga
24-12-2011, 06:48 PM
UM..have you tried to rope start any largish 2 stroke outboard?

As a matter of exercise I have rope started my old everude 60 two stroke and my bro' inlaws 30 Hp merc......both of them started much easier than my 10Hp rider mower....in fact when warm both of them would be less effort than starting myb 5Hp rover walk behind..

Something really wrong with either the outboards or the ride-on...or the 5hp Rover or the lot of them are buggered.
There would be no way in hell a Rover push mower would be harder to start then a 60hp outboard or even a 30hp outboard
A 200Hp motor may take a bit more starting than what I have tried, but it will be multi cylinder and the compression will be reasonably low.
cheers
I rope started my 6 cylinder POWER OF BLOOODY POWER (you have to say that with an echo effect happening) to see if I could.
It near dislocated my shoulder bloody stupid thing did.

What is a reasonably low compression reading?? I would consider my old tower of power to be fairly high in the compression department.
I would have imagined a 2 strokes compression would be about the same as a 4 stroke if not a bit higher.
What's the reasoning behind multi-cylinder means low compression??

camw308
24-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I rope started my 6 cylinder POWER OF BLOOODY POWER (you have to say that with an echo effect happening) to see if I could.

What is a reasonably low compression reading?? I would consider my old tower of power to be fairly high in the compression department.
I would have imagined a 2 strokes compression would be about the same as a 4 stroke if not a bit higher.

Correct me if im wrong but i think etecs and most 2 strokes run about 120-140 psi while 4 strokes depending on compression run around 180psi,my 90 etec runs 131psi across all 3 cylinders and is very easy to turn over by hand,4 strokes with there higher compression and more moving parts make them much harder to pull start,not impossible though

Jarrah Jack
24-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I pull started my 70 4 stroke a few time due to a flat battery. Was much easier than I expected but I couldn't get the motor to run for longer than about 30 seconds due to the flat battery.

The mechanic tested everything and couldn't find a problem with the charging. Still doesn't make sense to me as it should've been able to run on the alternator.

Jabba_
24-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Did you try reving the motor once it was going?

Jarrah Jack
24-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Sure did Jabba but as soon as I tried to take off it stalled. Happened twice before I gave up and got a tow..

scuttlebutt
24-12-2011, 09:40 PM
My old (2002) four stroke 90hp Mariner ran fine with a pull start and flat battery but I suspect that might have to do with it being a carby model. The current electronic injected 4strokes might struggle. My current motor is a 200 Optimax which from what I've heard need a decent battery just to keep running, I don't think pull start is an option. I reckon the ability to rope-start with a flat battery is a big positive. Hats off to the E-tecs. I've resigned myself to having a decent twin battery setup and being paid-up with the Coastguard.

oldboot
24-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Two strokes inherantly have very much lower compression than 4 strokes, that is why two strokes could run on the old standard fuel.........

from memory two stroke compression maxes out arround 8:1 where 4 stroke compression can get as high as 10:1 on petrol, higher on racing fuel.

and the more smaller cylinders the easier they will be to crank, tripples or sixes tend to be easier to crank than twins or fours because the compressions overlap better.

My ride on is a single cylinder 400 4 stroke, my 60 everrude is a 900cc 2 stroke tripple

when I was a young bloke arround 10 or 11, I could easily kick start my brothers 500cc two stroke 3 cylinder kwacka death machine, but not a hope of starting his single cylinder 185 suzuki.

cheers

Shawn 66
25-12-2011, 05:35 AM
I pull started my 70 4 stroke a few time due to a flat battery. Was much easier than I expected but I couldn't get the motor to run for longer than about 30 seconds due to the flat battery.

The mechanic tested everything and couldn't find a problem with the charging. Still doesn't make sense to me as it should've been able to run on the alternator.
Hey JJ,
My 2010 40 Yammie 4 Stroke runs with a flat battery after being pull started . How do I know this? , some goose (me) knocked the livewell switch to an on position last week .
Shawn

deckie
25-12-2011, 07:12 AM
As a side note...dont forget to first double check the dead mans switch is in ;D
Dont laugh...was my first embarassing moment boating eons ago. I hated that bloody motor (a 2pot suzi) for 10 minutes at the ramp, she'd turn over but not fire..hmmm ::). I checked everything till i was beyond breaking point and into full abuse mode. Then a nice bloke leaned over the side with a grin and pushed in the dead mans switch and zoooooooooom.
Always made me wonder how many calls for help, or tows came from that old trap for young players :o. Noone ever tells you the bleeding obvious when u buy a boat.

Dont know enough about motors to rate any good or bad except on experience...but i reckon we should all be TOLD to practice our ability to pull start our donks as a matter of basic safety or even a license requirement. Dont care what the brand is...if it is easy to pull start its actually a huge PLUS for that brand. They brag about little things, they assign clique terms to their fuel management, add a few fancy acronyms to spruce up how it sounds (geeez, it has that revoltuionary HBS clean burn torque drive thingaemjig)...but if they advertise the ease of pull starting in any circumstance that SHOULD be a MASSIVE selling point, coz if u cant start it due to the battery dropping a cell or two then who gives a shit what brand it is.
Merry Xmas
Steve

FishHunter
25-12-2011, 07:23 AM

Most modern 4 strokes would run a compression ratio of 10 to 11:1 as they utilize the whole stroke to build compression. 2 strokes would have a slightly higher Theoretical compression ratio but as they have a exhaust port to close before compression can build they have a effective compression ratio of around 6:1.

Which is why they are easier to turn over.

Multi cylinder engines are also easier to turn over as they have smaller cylinders with the firing pulses spread evenly over a crank rotation.

OPTI
25-12-2011, 08:26 AM
nothin new ,i rope started a 77 model 175 v6 carbie,way back in the 80,s,if it has spark and fuel it will start.

fisho8
25-12-2011, 07:44 PM
So is this whole etec V any thing else a bit like holden V ford??
or are the etec really that bad?

No Wayno Holden supporters have wound ford supporters up for that long it is just so easy to get a bite out of them. Not that fords have made an ordinary product with the exception of the AU Falcon haha each to their own I reckon if the product works for the individual then so be it in saying that I would never own an ETEC my next engine would more than likely be the new MERC 150 4 stroke or even A Yamaha 200hp 4 stroke depending on what the budget allows when I am ready as of now my 175 opti is doing the job quite nicely. All I will say is that opinions are like #######s....Everyone's got one.:)

theoldlegend
26-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Well, this is post no.28.

Reckon we might be up to 100 by next Friday.

TOL

PinHead
26-12-2011, 05:42 AM
could go forever TOL...ya gotta love people that are experts on things they have never owned.

OB's brother probably disliked him..did not show him the decompression lever on the 185..the MACH II was not such a great machine..been there and done that.

theoldlegend
26-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I've heard the 2012 models are fitted with a crank handle..............

TOL

ozscott
26-12-2011, 08:40 AM
nothin new ,i rope started a 77 model 175 v6 carbie,way back in the 80,s,if it has spark and fuel it will start.

Opti - It is new in the sense that this is a modern injected 2 stroke that can be pull started and run without a battery You can't pull start your opti's if you have flat batteries...

Cheers

finga
26-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I dunno about these compression and easiness of rope stating theories.
All I know is I would rather start my 15hp Honda (twin cylinder) or dad's old 25hp 2 stroke Evenruder (twin cylinder) with a rope then my 90hp 6 cylinder 2 stroke Tower of Power (don't forget the echo effect when you read that)
To me (in order) I'd rather rope start the Honda and then the Evenruder and then the Merc.

And above all them I reckon starting the old Rover is the easiest of the lot. And it's a single cylinder 4 stroke so theoretically it should be the hardest of the lot to rope start.
And easier to start then even the Rover is the old Southern Cross BD-C .
It's a single cylinder diesel with a capacity of 87.5 cubic inches and a 16:1 compression ratio and starts as easy as pie.
I'm buggered about theories.
According to theory we should be demanding electric starters on 4hp mowers and rope starters for 200hp outboards instead of the other way around.
Lucky for me I live in the real world I suppose.