PDA

View Full Version : On-site painting... anyone?

The Woo
22-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi all!
I'm seeking someone to take on a job to paint our gamefishing boat that we've been refitting for the past two years.
The vessel is on a hard stand in the carpark at my warehouse, and we have the technology to fashion a makeshift "booth" ;D

Most of the filling, sanding, and torture board work has been done or is still being done, now looking for someone with the skills and enough interest to lay on some sweet coats to bring her appearence up to the standard of the rest of the refit.

Anyway, I thought it was worth throwing it out there.

Merry Christmas to you all! :)

Stuart
22-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Dont use anyone that thinks they maybe good use only people that do this every day for a living. You have spent two years of hard work and much money to have it stuffed by some guy that thinks because he has painted his trailer he is now an expert. Pay the extra and employ an qulified spray painter. I have sprayed many cars and boats over the years and I even did but not finished an apprenticeship as a spray painted panelbeater in anothe life but I wouldnt tackle a gameboat. You need the right gear and certanly the right compressor that can take the water out of the line. Spraying such a big erea will mean the compressor will be running alott which means lots of water in the line. I use 18 meters of copper tubing and a seperat air tank and other water seperators before it even gets to my gun. Even then the water issue isnt 100% solved. I cant stress enough how imoprtant it is to use the right set up not to mention the experiance on how to lay down 2 pack paint. A boat of that size people will be temtped to lay down 1 maybe two coats but I can assure you to get a good qulity job you will need one or two dry pases followed by one heavy coat so you dont get orange peel. I would be looking around Coomera, there is a company there called spray time, he is a nice guy and I have seen the qoiltu of his work.

Stu

The Woo
22-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Excellent Stu, thanks for the reply mate.
Certainly don't want a sub-standard finish, and thank you for alerting me to the condensation issue, it was something that wasn't in the front of my mind to be honest.
I think the main issue is getting someone to come on-site and complete the job. I will phone Spraytime and have a chat!
I have a mate with a booth big enough to fit the entire boat, but it is on the south side of town :(
Also trying to get away from having to move the boat with the expense of cranes, low loader etc.... it adds up bloody quickly and blows out!
Thanks again mate.

Stuart
22-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Setting a booth up isn’t an issue really, very simple. Having the right gear is 90% of a good job the other side is how good is the fella laying the top coat on. Do you want to use epoxy or urethain "spelling". Both have there good and bad. Epoxy is cheaper, will last for years, is very hard and abrasive resistant and you can touch it up and blend it in. Urethain sets like steel, has a wet look after cured, cant be touched up all that good and if you get a bad ding in the hull then the whole side will need to be painted. It’s also 4 times the price and requires a hell of a lot more preparation and is friggen hard to paint. Epoxy is forgiving to a certain extent where as urethain isn’t. If you stuff up then you’re essentially screwed. Protec paint is basically an automotive paint how ever many in the top end are using it on boats with great results. You don’t need a “Marine paint system” which is contrary to what many believe. Protec epoxy paint is fantastic and sets like steel, it’s relatively cheap. Use there 408 epoxy primer and then 625 top coat in what ever colour you want. I would also be laying down a guide coat first then board it off to see any imperfections, I’m surew there is plenty of spots you have missed. The problem is the whole hull is dull so no real shine or gloss to show any low or high spots. That’s why I recommend you use a guide coat and then sand it back using a board. It’s easy to fix it now than after the top coat is done. If that’s all good then your ready for the rest. Primer then a light sand and top coat. If the top coat goes on well then you may not need to buff it.

Seahorse
22-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Woo.
I got a mate who paints large boats, and has been for many years.

If you have everything set up , I feel sure that he would look at what you got and need to do the job and a cost.

Pm me ur mobile and will get him to call you

Cheers
Greg