PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Contender. How stable?

Snapperscott
21-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi,

there is no doubt that Contender with its 24.5 degree deadrise rides well. But how well do the yanks compare on stability trolling or bottom bashing?

Anyone own one care to comment? My Seaswirl is 20 degree and stable as a house but I wonder what 4degree would cost me in stability.

Cheers,

Scott..

wirlybird
22-12-2011, 07:06 AM
it realy comes down to weight up high and the beam of the boat that makes them loll from side to side. I had a boat that had 19 deg deadrise and it was so unstable due to the configuration so i dont think deadrise is the be all and end all of stability. Im sure if you bought the contender it would have its good and bad traits. The yanks are much the same as us with compairing stability keep in mind they have a big ocean racing following and those boats have some serious deadrise.

OPTI
22-12-2011, 06:22 PM
after owning a 24 degree deadrise boat ,il never buy anything with less deadrise.the stability at rest isnt an issue

team_mongo
22-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Snaps,

Probably need more info about which contender and its setup.

A 39st, 3.3m beam with 1900L of fuel is going to pretty stable. Add a full tower and an empty tank, and its characteristics are going to change.

Are you still looking at a 25 open?
T-Top or Glass top? outriggers? 2nd station? extra tanks? - it changes the ride character

tm

Snapperscott
23-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Snaps,

Probably need more info about which contender and its setup.

A 39st, 3.3m beam with 1900L of fuel is going to pretty stable. Add a full tower and an empty tank, and its characteristics are going to change.

Are you still looking at a 25 open?
T-Top or Glass top? outriggers? 2nd station? extra tanks? - it changes the ride character

tm

Yeah Im keen on a 25 open with T-top and outriggers and everything else standard.

I've never seen one in Oz let alone been in one but would love the views if anyone owns one in OZ.

Scott.

FisHard
23-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey Scott, I just bought a motor off Sam Wallrock (Aust distributor of Contender) He's a top guy and I'm sure he can advise you of any aspect of the Contenders performance. However, he is not particularly hot on guys that import them directly, so its up to you how you handle the situation there :)
When I was looking at my 200 Suzi, he was in the finishing stage of fitting out a new 35 footer with twin 350 Yams. I took me a week to get the stains out of my pants!!! Black hull, on a triaxle alloy trailer, work of art Tee top and only $300k :D they cracked 60kts in sea trials. Handy. Round Hill to Fitzroy in 40 mins anyone?

snapperdan
23-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I have been on the 23 open and it wasnt very stable but they are supposed to get more stable as they get bigger. 25 open is a beast.

If i were looking at a cc in that size i would have a good hard look at the onslow bay 27 open. Small, semi custom, low volume builder in North Carolina that produces rock solid offshore fish killing machines. Good pricing aswell.

http://www.onslowbay.net/ Centerline LOA: 26'11"
Waterline Length: 23'
Beam: 9'5"
Deadrise: 24 degrees
Dry Weight: 5000 lbs
Draft: 24"
Max HP: 600
Min HP: 300
Max Eng Weight: 1400 lbs
Min Cockpit Depth: 24"
Fuel Capacity: 208 gallons
Max Speed: 60 – 65 mph

48 mph with twin 175 suzukis for a more economical ride as well i believe.

http://vimeo.com/33782813

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO3WhNkeiZs

wirlybird
23-12-2011, 04:20 PM
looks like the same hull shape as a Carolina Classic with a stretched bow

deckie
23-12-2011, 09:54 PM
You could also look at those Cape Horn 24's and 26's. I went out for a hoon in one in Florida years ago with twin 225's...zoooooom. Sexy looking CC's. 23.5 deadrise and a little beamier than a contender i believe. Finish may not be quite as good but built like bricks and cheaper. The way things are over there might be a huge saving now considering the price difference new.
I'm with wirlybird tho...a carolina classic but it aint the t top cc you're after.

team_mongo
23-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Snaps,

There is a guy (Greg) in sydney with a 25 open. He's on fishnet and sydney angler.
The 25 O would be a little better (I think) than my 25T as it is beamier and longer.
The stability is not a problem, you do notice it though when the outriggers are up and in the midline and swell hitting beam on. With a full tank its no too bad. But the performance is mind blowing, you'll soon forget any second thoughts. It wont be as stable as your striper, but everytime you take it out, you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face - they're that good.

I looked at all the US boats prior to the 25T (regulator, yellowfin, seavee, mckee, onslow, cape horn, bluewater and contender), and weighed up the positives and negatives. You'll have to do the same, but for me contender had the goods and support.