PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lights not working

mikeaus
21-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, great news for me.

After a long day of running about I managed to get my new rig sorted for the holiday. 1800 Tournament with a 115 ETEC.

All good on the test drive this arvo, only I stuffed up. I reversed the trailer in the drink without disconnecting the power for the trailer lights. As a result the brake lights are no longer working. The indicators are, perhaps this was because I did not switch them on whilst submerged.

Anyone got any idea how to DIY fix this problem. I have a new model NT Pajero with an OE fitter tow bar. I do remember them telling me it was a big deal to install the tow bars own independent electrics. Its not just hooked up to the Pajero lights.

I am hoping its just a fuse somewhere to change, but since I ran out of daylight this arvo I have not had time to investigate.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

ShaneC
21-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Were you at Golden Beach mate?? Saw the set up you describe as we were going home.....

You should not have to disconnect the power if everything is sealed properly. Check bulbs and fuses and you should find the culprit....

mikeaus
21-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Not sure were Golden Beach is? Sunshine Coast? I Live on Gold Coast/Tweed. But I drove it back form Springwood so you could have spotted me on route.

ShaneC
21-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Na, Golden Beach is at Caloundra.... someone else bought the same boat towing it with the same car. Was at the ramp late this morning. Looked pretty new too. Small world

Cheech
22-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I have never heard of needing to disconnect your lights before reversing into the water. That is why we have sealed trailer lights.

Trailer light issues are part and parcel of owning a boat. Get water into the lights, and you will have issues. Regardless if there is power to them or not.

I recently changed over to LED trailer lights. THese are completely sealed units, so as long as you have watertight wire connections, that should be the end of this happening for me. Repco have their own brand (made by one of the leading brands. Not Hella, but one of the others) for about $65.00

Something to check, that happened to me recently. Brake lights were not working, but after stuffing around for ages trying to work out why, I found the car lights were out as well. Changed the car brake light fuse and all good again.

mikeaus
22-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the help.

Turns out is was a loose connection in the plug. Coincidental that it happened after I put the boat in. The plug is cheap and not so cheerful and some connectors let go.

ShaneC
22-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Easy fix!!!!!