PDA

View Full Version : Estuary bay boat required any advice?

ghendoaus
21-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi guys I am looking at getting back into a boat and am wanting something for Moreton bay and the local estuaries. I have been checking out the boat sites on the net and was considering the differing merits of different boats.
Must haves:
forward casting deck; full floor; underfloor storage; stability (I'm over 100kilo); good bad weather performance
Wants:
4-5m but will consider slightly under 4m
Electric motor
Live bait tank
Recent model

Currently I'm looking at Quintrex wide body dories as they seem to be plentiful and within my price range (up to $7.5K) also I'v seen brooker fisheman; seajay anglers; and stessl edge tracker (3.85 starting to get too small in my opinion)
It will be exclusively a fishing platform as I consider fishing to be the only form of powered water sports ;D so any opinions gratefully received and considered.
Thanks

timddo
21-12-2011, 10:29 AM
For bay work 4.85 is best or bigger. 3.85 is really only good for creeks

Mossy247
21-12-2011, 01:30 PM
If your doing bay stuff I would lean towards 4+ meters. With min 30-40 HP. I take it your after second hand? I got an estuary pursuit 4.3 with 30 merc if your around 100 lbs and adding gear or a plus one you might look at going the 40 HP for the bay.

Giffo65
22-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Mate,A 4.5m Polycraft will fit all those points bar the under floor store.Very stable and can go outside no worries, and crab up the creeks.

ghendoaus
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi guys thanks for getting back to me thanks for all the advice... sorry I have been amazingly busy at this time of year tho I did manage to get a fish in with Malaby yesterday! Day off how rare! I am leaning toward a polycraft, though maybe a hornet trophy if I can get one in my price range. I'm looking at the 10-12K mark for $$ any more than that and the missus will go troppo.. I have seen a few that would fit the bill - will let you all know how I go.

TheSaint
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
If your looking at a hornet I would recommend a Stacer 435/439 Barra Elite. I own 435 myself & have found it to be great boat in all type of conditions & if you look around you can get a good price.. I got mine for $7500..