PDA

View Full Version : Hire cars for Towing Boat

mustang5
19-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Howdy,

Does anyone know anywhere in Brisbane where you can hire a new patrol or Landcruiser with a tow bar?

Need a 3.5t capacity and need it pretty urgently :-X

Cheers

Noelm
19-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I would reckon almost all those sorts of hire cars would have tow bars fitted, not 100% sure if you need to tell them you are towing though.

wags on the water
19-12-2011, 09:53 AM
I would reckon almost all those sorts of hire cars would have tow bars fitted, not 100% sure if you need to tell them you are towing though.

You'd be hard pressed to get any hire car/company to include a towbar.

mustang5
19-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Yeah I have tried most of the majors, and none have a tow bar, let alone hire out cruisers or Patrols.

Only the fleet cars have a tow bar which arent available for short term hire.. A hire through Sergeants was quoted at $1350 for 3 days lol!!! Geeeezuz...

Thanks fellas.

fishfeeder
19-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Ready Towing would be cheaper, Depending on the distance of course !!

Cheers
Brett

Muddy Toes
19-12-2011, 10:40 AM
only place i've found that did a commercial with a tow bar was thrifty at hamilton when i needed one.
Where ya going owen?what needs to be towed?I may have a 3.5t rated Patrol in the drive way...0407443545.

Noelm
19-12-2011, 11:45 AM

well, there you go, you can tell I don't get out much!! I just would have thought anything like a 'Cruiser would have a towbar.

wags on the water
20-12-2011, 12:21 PM
well, there you go, you can tell I don't get out much!! I just would have thought anything like a 'Cruiser would have a towbar.

Are you based in brisbane Noelm? Might be different in different states. - I tried to hire a 4wd on numerous occasions when home for days off (as tow car at airport in Rocky/Mackay) and the answer was always "no - we don't allow it".

The Woo
20-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I used to be a mobile marine mechanic, and my tow vehicle for my work trailer was stolen. (on TWO seperate occasions actually)
As I needed a tow vehicle for work my insurance company paid for the hire of a suitable vehicle. First time a Troopy, second time an 80 series (when they were new).
The joint I hired it from was at Newmarket from memory, on a corner, maybe on Newmarket rd? I did search the interwebs but couldn't find it, maybe they were bought out? Regardless, I'm sure there's someone who will hire for towing.
Keep in mind though, they won't be set up with brakes so if you've a heavy boat it won't be legal or insured anyway! :)

Si
20-12-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.rentarig.com.au/
These guys are local for me and yes they do let you tow with their landcruisers. All covered by insurance. Not too sure on the rates though but check them out.

GBC
20-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to be a mobile marine mechanic, and my tow vehicle for my work trailer was stolen. (on TWO seperate occasions actually)
As I needed a tow vehicle for work my insurance company paid for the hire of a suitable vehicle. First time a Troopy, second time an 80 series (when they were new).
The joint I hired it from was at Newmarket from memory, on a corner, maybe on Newmarket rd? I did search the interwebs but couldn't find it, maybe they were bought out? Regardless, I'm sure there's someone who will hire for towing.
Keep in mind though, they won't be set up with brakes so if you've a heavy boat it won't be legal or insured anyway! :)

4wd hire service - don't know if they're still around though.

TopBhoy
20-12-2011, 04:47 PM
A quick google search came up with this and there is a Brisbane location in the drop-down menu.

http://www.discovery-carhire.com.au/vehicle_cat.php?category=truck

There are 3 on there with towbars, including a Landcruiser. A quick inspection of the Budget T&Cs still require written permission to tow but it'd be worth asking the question.

Good luck

MyWay
20-12-2011, 05:53 PM
try this one
http://www.sargent.com.au/

The Woo
20-12-2011, 07:11 PM
4wd hire service - don't know if they're still around though.

That's the one!

tunaticer
20-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I hired 2 x 4t tray trucks from Budget at Deagon recently and they came with towbars a choice of 50 or 55mm balls and electric brake controllers fitted as standard. Towed large toolbox trailers weighing about 3t each plus loaded the trucks with bins ready for installation and went to Newcastle and back. Price was about 1280 each over 6 days. Turbo diesel auto trucks that did a good job all the way and back. Headed down the New England and dealt with the mountains plus Barrington Tops area easily. Was a pretty good workout for them and they handled it all in thier stride. Thinking about buying one now for a site truck.

swof63
20-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Tunaticer raises a good point.

If you NEED 3.5 tonne capacity ( ie over 2 tonne ) you need breakaway brakes and thus the hire vehicle needs the correct brake controller to match with your required load. That may make it just a little bit more tricky. Maybe a transport service ( like Trewins ) could address your immediate needs?

Cheers
Craig