PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro Setups on Boats

Tangles
18-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Just wondering how some of you setup your Go Pro's on the boat, is the sticky pads provided strong enough to keep the camera steady and dont slip? or best to get the bits that attach to rails etc, any pics of your setups appreciated

Also what video settings do you guys use or just default?

mike

Seahorse
18-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I got go pro on my ski and have had it on tinnie.
The suction pad is great.
I do speeds around 100klm ph and they hang on and give a first class video.

Just as a back up I put a tie around clamp to boat or ski just I case suction pad came loose, but to date all good.

Cheers
Greg

Mike Delisser
18-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I got go pro on my ski and have had it on tinnie.
The suction pad is great.
I do speeds around 100klm ph and they hang on and give a first class video.

Cheers
Greg

Is that 100kph on the ski or in your tinnie? That's either bloody good paddling or a kick arse tinnie. ;D

OPTI
18-12-2011, 07:36 PM
im using the rail mount ,its very secure.still getting the hang of using it though.

Seahorse
18-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Nah on the ski mike.
Jet ski that is.
My little arms couldn't quite paddle that quick, and the 50 hp yammie is good, but not that good.

Mike Delisser
18-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Nah on the ski mike.
Jet ski that is.
My little arms couldn't quite paddle that quick, and the 50 hp yammie is good, but not that good.

LOL........

Mike Delisser
18-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Nah on the ski mike.
Jet ski that is.
Good one Greg, that cracked me up.

Seahorse
18-12-2011, 08:17 PM
All the go pro fitting are very good and secure.
They do take a little while to get use to but if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck. I love mine.

Cheers
Greg

Tangles
18-12-2011, 08:20 PM
what about the sound, ive just done a test movie, geez the sound isnt to loud at all,

the kit we got just has the flat/curved adhesive plates so i was thinking of getting the rail mount one or suction pad one.

mike

Moonlighter
18-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I just picked up a little sport action camera from Aldi, $80 and waterproof to 30m. Seems identical to one on sale at Officeworks for double the price.

Plan is to attach it to the rocket launcher with the bike handlebar clamp that it came with. Done a test and takes great videos. Couldn't afford the go-pro, so will see how this one goes. Came with a 2gb micro SD card, and the test indicates we might get about 10mins of video per GB.

Seahorse
18-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah the sound is very ordinary. It's the sealed case. You can get a case that has splits in it, but I don't use it because I didn't want salt air getting into it.

When boating its just the penalty we pay I guess.
In the car or doing activity away from water then the sound is great because u don't need the fully sealed case.

Cheers
Greg

The Woo
18-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a GoPro but the sound is so terrible I don't use it anymore.

I have bought a RadCam, which is a full widescreen HD jobbie with the option of using the internal or a remote microphone, so you can hide it out of the wind ;)
The Radcam is also a remote lipstick type camera which opens up some mounting options and has a colour screen on the main unit so you know what it's filming etc.... and quite cheap given the qualitytoo. Well under 500 I think.

Mine's currently only been used in my race car I'm looking forward to using one on the boat..... if the refit is ever complete.

tenzing
18-12-2011, 08:46 PM
We use the rail mount set up on the Jesus Bar on the dash,
Just leave it to run , then hit the shutter button after any action , that way you only need to look at the last bit of each section.
We also have a headband mountwhich is useful if you need your hands free to land fish , and a chesty mount which I have used on the yak.
The rail mount is meant for handlebars and seatposts etc on bikes and is secure as.
Cheers
Brendan

wags on the water
18-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Go pro sealed case - crap sound but goes well under water.
Go pro vented case - excelent sound - crap underwater.

wags on the water
18-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Mike the curved pads I believe are for motorbike helmets and/or bike fairings. We've been using the suction mount on the dash and works a treat. The latest couple of vids we used the 3/4" to 1 1/4" bar mount to fix the camera higher and that works fine too. I didn't want to stick the pads to the boat because they'll never come off (without using a razorblade). Currently running the video settings on R4 but that might change to R2 for longer recording.

Regards.

FishHunter
19-12-2011, 06:03 AM
The go pro sticky mounts are very good but I gave up on the camera. USe a Oregon ATC9K waterproof to 20m, wide angle, sound, screen and remote. Get an hour odd of hd video on a 8gb card which is about as long as the battery lasts.

Its mounted in the bimini on a rail mount

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_b5Nro7aYI

tenzing
19-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Wags ,we actually find R 3 to be the best overall.
Used the camera for a year or so now and keep going back to R 3
Check the go pro blogs for experiences on the downside for each setting, Their consensus is much the same.
Would be nice to have a quick release like a bike axle cam lock to quickly detach the camera from one fixed mount and move to head , wrist, pole etc
Cheers
Brendan

Seahorse
19-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Brendan
That would be a great idea with quick release.

I will try the r3. Ism quality good?

I always go 4 or. 5.

I will try.

Cheers
Greg

fishfeeder
19-12-2011, 01:54 PM
check out this site they have heaps of different mounts

http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au/accessories/gopro/mounts

http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au/vio-pov-hd
I have one like this but before they had it in HD.... Mine is very robust and has survived the odd dirtbike crash and sticks and rocks so they are tough !!

Look into there velco tape (sticky on two sides) its that strong I use it to attach the camera on my road bike and holds on at 160KM+ and gives a great clear picture....

Cheers

wayno60
19-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Go pro vented case - excelent sound - crap underwater.

funny that.........

My GO Pro ive gone with the suction cap jobie, stick anywhere never let go, stuck it on front seat of tinnie lookin back, side of 4x4 great action shots, thinking of getting some stainless mulit strand wire , about ten metres, and a snapper sinker and lowering over the edge next time im in the seaway or at different spot around the broadwater....play it back when i get home a see what is really down there.

mikeaus
19-12-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.camzilla.com.au/

Bit expensive, however they are EXCELLENT quality and will hold the cam steady. Mount it on the rockets or anywhere solid.

Set the GP to take a shot every 2 seconds for several hours and forget about it. You will put up a few priceless shots on every outing. Especially when skiing, tubing or fishing.

PinHead
19-12-2011, 07:09 PM
that's it Mike...I ain't going out in your boat if you have a bloody video camera on board..you know I don't do cameras.

Tangles
19-12-2011, 08:31 PM
hehe, i know, there will never be a camera on the boat if you get on it,

tenzing
19-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Brendan
That would be a great idea with quick release.

I will try the r3. Ism quality good?

I always go 4 or. 5.

I will try.

Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg
The r3 setting is the widest HD setting (16:9) as opposed to r4 which is the tallest (4:3)
The r3 also uses 60 frames per sec which gives you better slow and still than the r4 or r5 which are 30 frames per second
There are also some other wobble issues at r4 and r5 ( 960 and 1080 p I think) that dont happen at r3 ( 720 p)
So it just depends what you want it for , but we were cutting up bits of snowsport stuff to make short movies and found that r3 was best for widescreen replay and the kind of edit we ( my sons ) were after.
Hope this helps.
Brendan

tenzing
19-12-2011, 09:01 PM
The other thing that I forgot to mention is that at the r4 and r5 settings you lost the excellent wide angle that the go pro is so good at , that is they narrow the field quite significantly.
This lens does a top job at ultra wide angle without the fish eye effect that you will see in the oregon video above .
( no disrespect to the owner of that one its just a different view)
The depth of field in r3 is also better you can focus from almost macro through to infinity with good clarity.
This is from the chest mount:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGOc1bRZ_M&feature=player_embedded

Cheers
Brendan

Rhinoc
20-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Some of you may be aware that in August GoPro released the HD Hero 2. There are a number of significant upgrades with version 2 which are listed on the GoPro website but a couple that immediately spring to mind are the new version can now record full 1080p 16x9 at 170 degrees. Version 1 as indicated by tenzing would reduce the FOV to 127 degrees at 1080p. The still shots are up from 5mp to 11mp and the processing speed has been doubled. They have added a mini hdmi port and 3.5mm external mic jack and a really good feature is having the little red LED lamp now mounted on 4 sides front/back/top /bottom so you no longer have to look over the front of the camera to confirm your recording.

There are heaps more features but these were just the few that stood out to me initially.

Another cool add on which is being released in February 2012 is a wifi backpac with wifi remote which will effectively allow you to control up to 50 GoPro cameras by the wifi remote or by using a iPhone with their GoPro app. In addition the Hero 2 will be able to stream live to the net via the wifi connection to your phone.

I already have version 1 and I love it but V2 is now on my Christmas wish list.

Some of the comparisons I've watched have shown significant performance improvements in V2 when watched side by side, in particular the faster processing power to quickly adjust to changing light conditions.

Food for thought.

In response to the original inquiry - I've always found the suction cup mount the most useful. With a tethered piece of rope to the boat of course, just in case it fails. To date it hasn't failed though.

Cheers,

Rhino

Seahorse
20-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Brendan.
Thanks mate. I am still learning. That sounds good. I will do that setting next trip on the ski.

mikeaus
20-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Someones alway watching these days PH. :)

Crestcutter
20-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Mike i use the curved ones on my helmet and have raced a full season without it falling off. I have also used the suction mount on the bike in various places and havent had a drama yet. And thats sidecar motorcross not flat tracking so we do get some air and hit some pretty ordinary ground at times.I have had the same clip on sticky mount on my helmet for a good 3 years now with no drama.I used to use the suction mount on my center console crossing the pin bar and offshore for the day with no drama also. I think the 3m tape that comes with it is pretty good gear considering mines the original hero that came out (non hd) .

wags on the water
20-12-2011, 12:13 PM
The other thing that I forgot to mention is that at the r4 and r5 settings you lost the excellent wide angle that the go pro is so good at , that is they narrow the field quite significantly.
This lens does a top job at ultra wide angle without the fish eye effect that you will see in the oregon video above .
( no disrespect to the owner of that one its just a different view)
The depth of field in r3 is also better you can focus from almost macro through to infinity with good clarity.
Cheers
Brendan

Thanks Brendan. I have the chest mount as well and will be using the r3 setting over the xmas newyear break. With the r4 setting in the yak, the rods appear to bend like nothing you've seen before - it just looks weird.

Cheers and best wishes for the festive season.

Wags

finga
21-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Well I've read this and thought....maybe I should be getting one of these??
And then I thought.....a video of my colonoscopy would be more exciting then a video of one of my fishing trips.
Just how long can someone watch someone simply sitting back watching the world go by??

But I do enjoy some of the video's you blokes put up. Very entertaining I must admit.
So the sooner you all sort out these settings etc etc and get out and do some more video's the happier I'll be :)