PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy a new one or refurbish what you have?

White Pointer
16-12-2011, 08:08 PM
G'day,

So the boat is getting a little tired and shabby. The engines are OK (or not!) but it's basically sound. That means sell it and buy new or refurbish what you have.

Is anyone tossing this question around? Has anyone decided on a course of action, and if so, why?

Is the state of the local and international economy weighing on this decision?

What other considerations will affect the decision?

This is a bit of market research.

Regards,

White Pointer

Chas & Clarry
16-12-2011, 09:44 PM
We are in exactly that position, tired boat but good motor (replaced mptor not too long ago).

We have decided to buy a new boat and put the existing motor onto it.

Reasons: our fishing needs have changed a bit. The old rig served us very well and safely for the past 25 years (1986 4.29m clarke abalone centre console) but it is pretty dated and not as "fishing friendly" for the esturies (where we are likely to spend 95% of our fishing in future) as a modern set up estuary fishing boat is.

Other considerations: Most importantly checking of budget and capacity to pay. Chosing not to go too big and flash but getting what is likely to really fit our needs. Comparing different boats in our target range and trying to get a reasonable deal. Local and world economy concerns only came into the process as far as our assessment of how stable our employment is (reasonable we think...lets hope we aren't wrong on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Expect to take delivery mid to late Feb 2012.

FisHard
16-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I think many people are choosing to refurb because they can't accept what their rig WILL SELL FOR (as opposed to what we think its worth).

oldboot
17-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Oh hell this all depends on a lot of factors.

Like how fussy you are and how good you are with the tools to start with.

If you know what you are doing and have the time, you can come up with a boat that is far better and more durable than the original boat ever was...and very few new boats will have that level of workmanship or customisation.

But don't kid ya self that it will be cheaper.

cheers

bluefin59
17-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I had a little refurb job done on my fin by a great boat builder and I am now going to sell it in the new year so I can have a custom built weapon similar to dan5s platey but I need the cash so I can get it started ....matt😜😜😜😜😜😜😁

Dan5
17-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Like Oldboot said if it's a good thing to start with keep it and do it up.what you have to do though is consider very hard wether or not it is the right boat that suits your needs.......no use doing up a 12' tinny for offshore work......get the point,

You really need to start off with very good basics to spend more money on it.

Re=furbishment is the way to go if the hull justify's it and it already ticks most of your box's.......it's definatly a good way to go.

It is'nt cheap but it would be cheaper than starting off with a new boat thats for sure,50k buys you very little nowadays .

Dan

nigelr
17-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Unlimited spare cash I would buy new and screw the best deal I could.
Otherwise I would be holding my cards darn tight to my chest and just making do, for the time being.

Goochi
23-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Well if it's basicly sound why do you need to change it?? Do you just want to keep up with the Jones or is all the pressure to get the latest shinny thing getting to you. If it is all sound and working then why change cause a shinny boat won't catch any extra fish - so you can save dollars by doing nothing and keep enjoying what you have. Having said all that I refurbished cause my transom turned to compost - and I took the opportunity to repower with a more modern engine. I didn't have the dollars to buy a NEW rig so my options were to sell and buy another secondhand unit or rebuild and refurbish. I went with the rebuild cause I liked the hull. In my case it may have cost less to sell and buy another secondhand( it sure would have been easier) but at least I know whats under everything now.

White Pointer
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
G'day,

Thanks for these posts. The consensus seems to be refurbish a good boat that meets your needs and only upgrade when the current boat doesn't meet the need or is past its use by date.

Probably no surprises there. The market research element of this has shown that (even with limited responses) there is a pretty big market for making boats work better for owners. This may involve changing fitout, making repairs, new engines and trailers, fitting trim tabs to improve control and ride ... it's an almost endless list.

As most you will or should know, I'm an owner and Director of Origin Boats. Origin Boats expected these (limited) survey results. So late last year we registered a new brand, Origin MasterCare, to develop a range of products aimed at the long term owner.

Our focus is on aluminium boats and plate boats in particular. But we recently sold one our our plate alloy trailers to a buyer of a very large fiberglass boat who was having lots of trouble with the dealer supplied trailer. The solution lowered his hull and eased launch and retrieve and the trialer may well outlast the boat.

If you have a problem or want a solution, call us. We will give you a quote to make an assessment which may require a strip down to assess the work required. If you agree to that we will proceed and then quote you for the work required or tell you that what you are likely to spend. If that exceeds the value of the boat we will tell you. It's always your call on whether to proceed or stop.

Contact us at info@originboats.com.au

Regards,

Stephen Minslow (aka White Pointer)