PDA

View Full Version : Remote control.

centrefire
15-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Bought a used Yamaha 703 controller with cables last week. Have spent the past two days trying to connect it up to my 30 Yam. One cable is slightly longer than the other by about an inch and a half. Should this be the case?
I'm totally at my wits end now...gear works, then throttle, but never together as the one cable seems never long enough.
Please help if you can.

Cheers.

Noelm
15-12-2011, 12:11 PM
not too sure what you mean, the gear cable moves first, to engage the gears, THEN the throttle cable moves to increase the RPM, if thats what happens, then it is OK, if not, can you decribe exactly what is happening? with pictures even maybe.

Fed
15-12-2011, 04:57 PM
After you put it in gear are you then pushing the shift lever further down to open the throttle?

You wouldn't be the first person to use the fast idle lever to drive their boat.

centrefire
16-12-2011, 12:48 AM
It's a little more complex a problem than running on the idle lever.
I can connect either the gear box cable linkage to the motor or the throttle, but not both at the same time. It appears the cable or cables are too short.
Also, the gearbox lever will move back or forward ( F N R), but the throttle cable then pushes BACK Closes)..!
It doesn't help swapping the cables around in the control box or at the motor either.
I bought this set up on the understanding that it came off the same motor as mine. It also looks to be in very good condition.
I'm told that Yamaha 703 controls can be push forward or pull for forward on the lever, mine indicates by the sticker that it's push forward.
Short of buying another complete set up from Whitworths, I'm really stuffed.

Thanks for the help so far.

Noelm
16-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I am still not 100% with you on your problem (it is Christmas and I am a bit slow right now) but we CAN help, we just need to understand what is happening.

Noelm
16-12-2011, 08:40 AM
OK, lets just explain a couple of things for you. Both cables are the same, there is no gear and throttle cables, they SHOULD be the same! the gear lever on the control box moves ONLY the gear cable, that is the one that moves only when the lever is shifted forward or backwards, after that, the throttle cable moves when you advance the gear lever further to speed up the motor, but the gear cable does not move any further, does that make sense? and is that happeneing now?

Tracker
16-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Have a look at this link.You (may) have to adjust the pull to push or vise versa
http://kaplan1.com/yamaha/

Can be done without buying new part.

Fed
16-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Great find tracker.

centrefire
16-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Tracker, I did find that article awhile ago, very well explained. Thanks.
This controller arrived with the arm reversed. ie: Arm mounted opposite to the faceplate, faceplate with YAMAHA and FNR etc. bolted to the console. This is designed to be reversable...now to my simple miind, does this not mean that there is no point in relocating the lever within the workings. It is now push for forward if it were ever a pull for forward model?
Noelm, I will investigate your advice this arvo.
Failing all this I may have to get a mobile mechanic in. Very difficult without seeing and prodding the bloody thing.

Thanks everyone.

Fed
16-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't think I understand everything you're saying centrefire and I know zero about Yammies but here's my 2 bobs worth.

Are you sure you're not confusing Push for Forward with Push Throttle?

To me it sounds like you have a reversible controller which can be either push or pull for forward depending on how it's mounted.

Then added to that the throttle control can also be either Push Throttle for one model of motor or Pull Throttle for a different model motor.

I hope this post doesn't add to the confusion.

centrefire
17-12-2011, 08:26 PM
To all who replied with advice, a big thank you.
The controller sold to me as a pull throttle, was actually for a push throttle motor.
I ground the lever pins off, flipped the lever over and reattached it by tapping and screwing two 4mm screws through the lever and into the pins to hold it down. The only repercussion is that the fast idle lever no longer engages, so I've had to remove it. It's now a pull throttle and all is well in my world (for now).

Thanks again.