PDA

View Full Version : Trailer modifications

truth stretcher
14-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I want to fit walkways to my trailer and was wondering what is the best way to attach these to my trailer.
I was thinking of making them up getting them galvanised then u-bolting them to the frame? The winch post & spare wheel are u-bolted on.
I'm not too keen on grinding back the gal on the trailer and welding the walkway on but maybe I'm worrying for nothing.
What do you guys reckon?

Fed
14-12-2011, 04:37 PM
That's how I'd do it mate.

finga
15-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Yep. Galvanise and then galvanised U-bolts.
Send the U-bolts to the galvanising dude as well as the walkway. When they come back simply heat with the oxy or gas torch and wire brush the majority of zinc off the threads.
A small amount of zinc will stay on the threads and protect them.

Well that's what was used to do with all the U-bolts we used in substations and they're still around in places like Yamba and Iluka.

Fed
15-12-2011, 08:16 AM
It's got me beat why they use cad plated hardware on boat trailers it starts rusting after the first dunking.

johncar
15-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I want to do one too, but I was thinking Ally for the walkway and galv fittings/U-bolts. I see Probar, one of my fav stores at Caboolture has some sizes of galv U-Bolts and others are zinc or other coatings. Worth a look first though.
Does anyone know where to source small sections of that Ally walkway material used on pontoon ramps etc. Been meaning to go and annoy one of the pontoon builders for some scraps. Or any other suggestions. Just thinking Ally for less weight..

finga
15-12-2011, 10:04 AM
What about security screen mesh John??

wirlybird
15-12-2011, 01:39 PM
storm drain gutter mesh works a treat just dont get caught nicking them ;)

tunaticer
15-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Alloy planks work well and easily attached using U clamps from underneath and series 500 tek screws. I fitted some to a mates trailer last year and notched the planks to fit the cross members rendering the plank useless to knock off as a plank. You can also buy perforated galvanised planks used in scaffolding that would do the job nicely as well.
Whatever you do, do not create a trip hazard by having bolts or nuts protruding on the walking space. 10 to 1 you will find it in bare feet and either go for a swim in the frame of the trailer or visit the dr for some stitches.

Crocodile
16-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Hello Truth-Stretcher
I bought some treated wooden planks that had a textured surface.
I then used zip ties to tie them to the trailer.
They have been on for few years no troubles at all.
Very easy and cheap.

Swanie1975
16-12-2011, 04:51 PM
ive got a pair of old alloy sidesteps off a ute - would there be any probs between metals bolting them onto a galv trailer?

Crocodile i never thought of zip ties no bolts no welds brilliant;D

cheers ryan