PDA

View Full Version : Bad fuel experience

goat boy
13-12-2011, 07:48 PM
A few months ago I had trouble with my 08 yam 40hp 2st, wouldn't idle, just die, worked fine when in use though. I took it to my nearest yam mechanic and he told me it was due to water in the fuel, an unfortunate but common problem. The carb was cleaned out and I was told if it happened again I should put a fuel filter on.
Well a few months later and only about 3-5 hrs use it happened again. I took it in for a clean and a fuel filter install and was told the carb was suffering from extremely bad corrosion due to water in the fuel again???
Anyway, the filter is now on and carb cleaned again but he told me to be really careful with my choice of fuel...I don't use E10 so how do I achieve this? It's really p1ssed me off and left me wondering.....especially as I'm about to freight it over to Karratha and don't want to be paying Karratha prices for fixing probs due to 'poor fuel choice'....

Muddy Toes
13-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Karratha prices....hahahahaha.I'm sure the cost of outboard repairs over here will be relative to your wage.;D
Thats if you can find an outboard mechanic here!!!!!!

captain rednut
13-12-2011, 08:28 PM
its very common to have problems with the crap fuel sold here and yamaha carbies, the solution is to use your boat more often and only buy premium quality fuel.
cheers cr

patske
13-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Funnily enough I had a similar problem with my 2011 yammy 40hp 2 stroke with mad leaks from the bottom carby. The dealer looked at under warranty and crap fuel was the culprit blocking the carb.
Btw Jimmy can you pm me your number so I can call you to service my motor.
Patty

ozscott
13-12-2011, 09:12 PM
My 115 Yammy was sensitive to fuel evaporating in the bowls and carbs - varnishing...if let sit for too long. I know all outboards can get this, but I wonder if the Yammy's are more prone, and if so it is because of their fine tolerances and metering. My 115 for eg got good economy for an older style 2 stroke (ie carbs) and always started and idled beautifully hot or cold (unless varnished and requiring carb clean)...and never had any edges or power surges across the rev range. Interesting.

Cheers

Moonlighter
13-12-2011, 09:24 PM
The real solution, and what everyone regardless of motor size should have, is a proper water separating fuel filter in their fuel line, ie a Racor style one with a clear bowl so you can easily check/ see any water in there. More problems with outboards due to dirty fuel/water in fuel than just about anything else. Should be compulsory!

Cheers

ML

Chimo
14-12-2011, 07:08 AM
IMHO Go to a place where they sell expensive diesel tractors and buy yourself a diesel fuel filter funnel.

The metal gauze is so fine that water and crap cannot get thru it.

Just had my motors serviced and the mechanic commented that there was no water in my fuel filters.

How come? Because all the fuel goes into the tank goes through a tractor funnel.

Good luck getting good fuel all the time no matter where you buy it. Fuel quality is not nice!

Cheers
Chimo

Fed
14-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I don't believe it simply because if a servo was selling bad fuel then every single person who used it would break down and the servo would be out of business in a flash.

Could water be getting into your tank goat boy?

finga
14-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Aren't you glad you haven't got an E-tec??

But seriously....fit a good water separating fuel filter.....and keep checking it every time you wash your boat out after a day on the water (that way you'll have time to remedy anything wrong before the next launch)

netmaker
14-12-2011, 08:33 AM
i'm with fed. dud fuel twice in 5 hours run time sounds a bit unlikely. obviously a separator is a good insurance against bad fuel and water ingress. mate of mine refitted his boat and when he re-assembled fuel lines he skimped on the fittings. few months later he was up for 4g's to rebuild his 5 year old motor. every time it rained he had water running into his tank.
cheers
davo

ozscott
14-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I have always fun a very fine filter and separator however that will not stop varnishing (which is different from the poster's problem I know but just throwing it in)>

Cheers

wirlybird
14-12-2011, 10:57 AM
i copped a dud load of water (i mean fuel) from manly marina it filled my filter and got to the engine in one tank!

not happy so i installed another filter on the engine just to be sure. needless to say i dont buy fuel there anymore

Fed
14-12-2011, 11:05 AM
So what are you saying wirlybird?

You bought say 50 Litres of 'fuel' and received 49 Litres of fuel and 1 Litre of water?

I know what Judge Judy would say to that.

Camhawk88
14-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't believe it simply because if a servo was selling bad fuel then every single person who used it would break down and the servo would be out of business in a flash.

Could water be getting into your tank goat boy?

It does happen. Quite a few years ago a well known and overpriced servo close to the Railway Estate boat ramp was responsible for me twice taking in large amounts of water into my 75 honda which required all 4 carbies being stripped and fuel/water mix being drained from the boat. I figured I had some issues with water ingress but a few months later there was a big piece in the paper about 4 cars getting 100m up the road from this servo before dying due to large volumes of water being pumped into their tanks- all on the same day. Of course the bastards refused to accept any responsibility but as it floods through there it was found their sumps take in water. Not sure if they ever coughed up but it clicked with me what had happened to my motor. Never liked using them before due to price but never been back since- especially after a good drop of rain. They are still going though it has me buggered why.

goat boy
14-12-2011, 12:08 PM
There's no way water is getting in my tanks, boat is garaged when not in use and tanks are never exposed to water. I mentioned this to the mechanic and he said this year (In the Tweed/Coolangatta region) has been particularly bad and he has seen many more cases than usual? Either way, the filter is now installed and I guess I'll buy premium fuel and see how I go. Thanks you very much for all the input here, given me some things to ponder. My main worry was happening again in WA and the cost to fix (yes, IF I could find someone, I am aware!) :D

fishfeeder
14-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't know if you already did it but totally drain your fuel tank and if possible clean out your fuel line to your motor as it probably still has water in the line...

Cheers

captain rednut
14-12-2011, 08:41 PM
why is filtering your fuel in your boat any more important than your car?? why doesn't your car break down with fuel problems as its the same fuel from the same place???? some people on here have stated they have filters and still break down from gunk in there carbies??
cheers cr

Giveitacrack
15-12-2011, 02:48 AM
I avoid using E10 but the other day i put 15 litres in. I lost 5-10 km top speed on my yammie 40 3cyl 2stroke

Fed
15-12-2011, 08:48 AM
It's your boat goat boy so you know all the circumstances better than anyone.
I could understand if you got a tank full of water from a servo but if it was just a little I'd be looking elsewhere for a problem.

I bet you were spewing camhawk the surrounding streets would have been littered with dead cars.

goat boy
15-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Yeh look I'm only telling it as I see it. There's no way water is getting in my tanks, I am 100% sure of that. The mechanic that looked at it gave me 2 reasons for it happening

1. Water in fuel from the servo - ie bad fuel, and told me to be 'more careful' where I choose to buy my fuel.... !!
2. Tanks sitting idly for a period of time with water forming inside them due to condensation and then being used

I took his advice after the first time and only used fresh (just bought) fuel when I used the boat but the problem occurred again, whether this is due to an ongoing problem that wasn't fully cleaned the first time or whatever, I don't kow. I am not knowledgable on this and am only telling what I have been told.
Anyway, as stated, a filter is now fitted and I will see how I go with that, if it is another problem altogether, I guess I'm gonna find out soon. Once again, thanks for all the input, appreciated.

Chimo
15-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi GB

If its possible to drain your tank it might be worthwhile. If you can run the fuel thru a diesel filter funnel as it comes out you may be able to see whats causing the problem. You can then use the old fuel thru the car mower etc all of which seem a little more tolerant of ordinary fuel, or so it seems. Or if the fuel smells OK and is cleaned put it back in the boat.

Your probably correct in that if you have a partially full / nearly empty metal tank with a breather you could well be getting extra moisture via condensation. Why not just keep the tank full and avoid that issue?

Cheers
Chimo