PDA

View Full Version : South West Rocks N.S.W

dstrans
13-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi guys
Has anybody go so idea of what sort of fish and where roughly i can go at South West Rocks N.S.W as it is a new place for me. It will at this stage be land based(not sure about taking boat as 2 cars will be needed.
Any help would me greatfull thanks in advance :-?

Aussie123
13-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Anywhere along the rock wall of the river has great fishing for bream,flathead,blackfish and jews.
The jew are mostly down the end at the river mouth and there you have a good chance at 20kg plus jews off the breakwall.
This time of the year also sees the start of the cobia and huge shovelies turn up inside the river.
Off the very end of the break wall is good for bream,whiting,flathead and tailor with the odd small jew as well.
Lures work well for jews off the end there especially if the water is a bit murky.
Out below the jail has great fishing for many species like bream,flathead,tailor,blackfish,drummer,groper ect.
Directly below the lighthouse is an awesome spot but extremely dangerous to get down there if you do not know the tracks and the dangers they posess.
If you have a 4wd grab a beach permit and wonder along Smokey Beach.Access is at the base of the hill on your right just as you start to climb up to the light house.
Smokey beach has great fishing at times and is the best worm and pipi gathering beach down there.
Just out in front of the town itself is a small set of rocks.
They often fish well from now on and if you are first there of a morning you can snorkel it and often get some great crays in the long crevis.
Back creek is good for bream and blackfish and some good flatties as well.

Vitamin Sea
13-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Beautiful spot, love it.

Aussie 123 has nailed the fishing, has obviously spent a lot of time there, take a boat if you can wing it, but watch the bar, lots of tiagras are in the water there.

Cheers

thelump
13-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Take a boat mate. You dont need a big one as the Cobes will be around the Gaol ground at xmas time. Very close to shore. Used to fish it in a 15ft tiller steer and launch through the back creek. You may also encounter some early run Spotties (or Snook) as they call them. Also get a good run of small black marlin there around that time. So I reckon it will be worth the extra fuel for 2 cars. If not see above. Either way it is a great location.
Enjoy.
Cheers Jason

diabolical
14-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Take the boat if the forecast looks good.......but even the charter boats are doing it tough at the moment.

http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5188&sid=e544bede0bb2fb874382e9fa65b01f09

dstrans
15-12-2011, 06:09 AM
thankyou very much guys !