PDA

View Full Version : 2007 20hp yammie

wayno60
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
slips our of gear when in reverse, is there an adjustment in the gearbox that can be done or is it a bit more terminal??

joey_1987
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Could be the dog clutch, have you owned it since new and do you change gears with a quick 'snap' in and out of gear or do you do it slowly and let the dog clutch grind down?

Spaniard_King
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Take it back to who ever took the gearbox offf last and get them to install it correctly

Noelm
13-12-2011, 08:39 AM
sounds like the correct advice to me.

gazza2006au
13-12-2011, 11:33 PM
is this in regards to the engine on ebay for sale? for the reverse gear/clutch dog to wear out it would need to cop a floggin in reverse i reckon its just a simple incorrect shift shaft adjustment someone doing an impeller job not installing the shift shaft correctly

cormorant
14-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Reverse is ssssssssooooooooo over rated anyway.

Gazza the ebay king- can't get a thing past him.

gazza2006au
14-12-2011, 11:30 AM
if i was in QLD i would snap that engine up strait away i would place a bid around $1800 its worth $3000 new by now the clutch dog and reverse gear would be worn by the guys description new reverse gear is at a guess around $200 and clutch dog $120 pop the prop shaft out replace the gear and clutch dog and you have a great little engine

Gazza the ebay king- can't get a thing past him. there are some great bargains to be had on ebay for every day items u just gotta put in some elbow grease ;)

cormorant
14-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Gazza the gears are always engaged so unless there has been lots of dog clutch metal in there floating about they will be fine. Very hard to wear out a reverse gear in a ouboard without water ingress , bearing failure or tooth hardening failing. It is the dog clutch or shift adjustment that are the likely causes if the bloke is being honest- after all it is ebay.

New seals , oil, time . It all adds up and makes you wonder if the owner let that problem persist what else doesn't he have a clue about.

gazza2006au
14-12-2011, 12:00 PM
i dont know what a yammie gearbox is like i have only done the clutch dog and gears on a johnson there is 3 positions for the clutch dog in forward gear the clutch dog is shifted forward on the prop shaft engaging the forward gear same goes for reverse when in neutral the clutch dog sits in between the front and rear gears not touching either gear hence u get neutral when a clutch dog wears out the prongs on the clutch dog round off and its no longer a tight fit while in gauged with the gear the clutch dog pushes its self out of the gear and rotates without spinning the gear hence the slippage all this guy would need is reverse gear, clutch dog and to adjust the gear selector shaft properly and replace the oil while its drained i dont see how the seals would be worn on a 2007 model but i could be wrong it looks to have little use

cormorant
14-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Gazza - The reverse gear and the forward gear are always engaged and spinning via the pinion gear . They are all fixed in place and shimmed to a tollerance. The inner spline on the clutch dog is permanently engagaed to the prop shaft. The selector moves the dog to engage against the forward or reverse gear hence turning the prop shaft.

Problem could be as simple as adjustment under cowl, shaft in box or something in the box like a broken/ bent selector ( possible hard metal in box)

Question is "why wasn't the problem fixed at service " and "what was the quote" or "did the problem start after service?

Seals / gaskets - well only a vac and pressure test of the box will tell you that. No good putting in good oil and parts if it isn't resealed properly. Do it right once.

gazza2006au
14-12-2011, 12:14 PM
ah yeah im with ya now i think the service may have been a back yard job or sounds like someone has had the gearbox off at some point its usually the forward gear that goes or the forward gear side of the clutch dog unless the owner has been slowly easing it into reverse gear but than he would be doing the same in forward gear? its a hard one to figure out

Spaniard_King
14-12-2011, 05:46 PM
This is common for people who do not know how to install the gearbox properly, the shift rods need to be joined by an extended nut and locked in place with the locking nut. If the extended nut has been wound too far up when it is reengauged with the shift shaft the gear selection will be out of adjustment causing either fwd or reverse gear (depending which way the extended nut is wound) to jump out under load.

The extended nut shift rod joint is common toa few manufacturers and is a common fault as per the symptoms above

gazza2006au
14-12-2011, 11:27 PM
wow that motor was a bargain just over $1000 :o

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140660549998?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Noelm
15-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I kind of doubt any Ebay motor is a bargain, but then that's just me I guess.

cormorant
15-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Ahhh the old single photo listing and a bloke who doesn't answer any questions when asked 5 days ago.

Bargain maybe but risk.

Look at teh hints
Bought for project boat
Yep the bloke never got the project sorted
Never got the motor sorted
Never solved what could be a simple 2 minute problem

Next - dinged prop- like when you read that and teh next line it says gearbox issue alarm bells ring.

As always if I can't inspect something mechanical, run it etc I'll pay a lot less than parts value. Rarely get burnt that way and yep miss bargains but many a bargain can become a weight around your neck very quickly.

Ebayers who don't reply and don't have a phone number - buyer beware.

Hope wayno got it and hope it is a goody