PDA

View Full Version : Etec 115 and 130 ...much difference?

rumy1
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Looking at getting a Formosa 5.5 CC, I have the choice between a 115 or a 130 Etec ... how much more power is there with the 130. I done a search for their prices and there is very little diffrence in it.
What are your opinions?

Jabba_
12-12-2011, 07:08 AM
It's only 15hp differance, which might be 2kn faster with the 130hp. The 130 should have a slightly stronger mid range and top end power. With economy, I would think the 130 would better being slightly stronger.
For the little differance in price I would get the 130hp. More horse power is always better.

Vromme
12-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I recently was speaking to an experienced fisho with a 17ft glass boat. He went from a 115 etec to a 130 etec (was thinking about the same upgrade myself down the line). Said pretty much what Jabba said, no noticeable difference out of hole, slightly better mid to high range (few more knots). I would go the 130 myself if getting new. More likely to regret not getting extra HP than spending a few extra bucks imho.

mikeaus
12-12-2011, 07:30 AM
I read somewhere it is the same engine only remapped for more HP. They put a different cowl cover on it for improved air flow.

I also read that the actual difference may not be as much as 15HP. Apparently they are allowed tolerances of a few HP each way and the 115 is on the conservative side.

Its all in here somewhere.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=136484&trail=25

mikeaus
12-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Sounds to me like another way to extract that extra bit of money from you. I am new to this boating lark and it seems for everything I buy there ALWAYS seems to be something a little bit better for a bit more money.

I am starting to question do I really need, or want to spend more, even if its only a small amount.

Even in the servo you cant escape it. You pick up a Mars Bar and a tin of V and the checkout chick tells you for an extra $2 you can get two. Its hardly surprising we are all turning into fat bastards.

Get the 115 I reckon, I can't see you being disappointed. There is always something better, just get what you need.

I am in the same position and I am going 115.

Makka Nick
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Have you considered the 115HO? From what I've been told it puts out 130HP and has better graphics etc. Not sure if there are any other changes.