PDA

View Full Version : the old johnno's dying

netmaker
11-12-2011, 12:36 PM
yep, heading says it all. took boat to the mechanics for a service saturday. apparently my stator had sheared bolts or somethin:(. lot of play in assembly below the starter. he reckoned he'd never seen one that bad and couldn't believe she still ran:o. remember having it pointed out to me by a mate a few months back but promptly forgot about it:P. so, no more trips to mud for now. might stay within lecky distance of home for a little while, just in case;). anyway finance minister says no new motor whilst old tl 1000 parked in the back yard:bigcry:. so a bit of stuffing around and tidying up and hopefully soon have a new 30 on the back and i WILL go faster than 15knots. AND without the tail wind and favourable tide ;);D;D;D
cheers
davo

ozscott
11-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a plan. How old was the Johnson and did it give you a good run?

Cheers

netmaker
11-12-2011, 01:53 PM
ozscott, 95 model. was a bit beaten up but has served me real well. i bought with tinny on trailer 3 years ago for 3000. done over 4900 nm in it. i'm not complaining at all.

Fed
11-12-2011, 04:11 PM
It's just run in netmaker.

burleygu
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
give her a spit and polish davo!

netmaker
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
yeah, i know - she's only 16. but as i said she was a bit beaten up when i bought her. cowling hadn't sealed properly for a while and a bit of corrosion evident. i knew when i bought that an upgrade would be on the cards. i have pretty much finished tarting up the boat - cant think of any add-ons now except for adding another 2 feet! was the easiest way to get things past the finance minister. bought cheap and slowly pimped her to my liking. i'm not an outboard mechanic. when i was younger i stripped a v8 down to the crank and rebuilt her - when i was younger. now if the mechanic says she's stuffed - i believe him. sooner put repairing dollars towards a new purchase.
cheers
davo

gazza2006au
12-12-2011, 07:45 AM
if the engine is still running it would be a easy rebuild for $430 u can have a fresh engine that will last another 5000nm http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-Powerhead-Rebuild-Kit-2-Cylinder-/120656754971?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c17b3f91b

netmaker
12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
thanks for your research gazza but i dont think it was the actual powerhead that is the problem. my mechanic is someone i have known for 20 years and i know he is not diddling me. after all it would be more in his interests to get the job and charge for it than to advise me to buy a new one. i am ofcourse also interested in making it home each time, specially when going further afield. will feel a lot better knowing theres a newy on the back.
davo

netmaker
12-12-2011, 08:08 AM
and i forgot - i am really looking forward to moving quicker than 15knots!

Mossy247
12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Like you say mate she owes you nothing, had a good innings. The old pecker will be white lightning. Oh well the johno's passing on and bring on the extra HP, looks like it will be a fair race to mossy's reef now.
At least I have a reliable deckie now :-)

finga
12-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Bugger. I didn't think you could kill them.

What cha doing with the old one??

netmaker
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
hey mossy - yeah mate. she's been good (and cheap)but it's time to move on. and as you know i'm always a reliable deckie mate;).

finga - she still purrs like a kitten mate. will run her for a bit longer on short trips cause she doesn't know that she's dying yet:-?? but there is no substitute for feeling safe on the water. if i dont get a trade for it my mechanic is happy to line it up with his other oldies and use it for spares for half of what he gets. otherwise if anyone else is interested i will consider any offer.
cheers
davo

gazza2006au
12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
i could be interested what hp is it? do u have pics?

netmaker
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
gazza, its 20hp. gt apparently - must be the fast model lol. will take some pics closer to disposal and put up a post. i will also send you a pm at the time. dont expect to changeover for a couple of months yet.
cheers