PDA

View Full Version : etecs 3yr no service claim!?

hooknpull
11-12-2011, 10:53 AM
hey guys, was getting my etec serviced on friday from a friend who works in a etec dealership and was told that it states in fineprint that your etec only needs to be serviced every 3 years if it is only used for fresh water and every year in salt. now mine is a year old and im going to service mine at the start of every summer but i think its best if a few of you other owners know what i have been told. i guess if its in fineprint, push comes to shove then maybe warranty can be void aswell???
aaron.

Jabba_
11-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Just going through my terms and condition waranty and owners manual...
In the warranty it states:

Use in salt water and heavy use require specific maintenance and more frequent inspection

as outlined in the applicable BRP Operator's Guide. For some components an

Annual inspection performed by an authorised BRP dealer is mandatory.

The annual inspections for saltwater conditions.
1. Trainering bracket and swivel bracket lubrication points (annaully)
2. Tilt tube lubrication points (annually)

Jabba_
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Pre-Launch Checks (Each Use)

 Check fuel level.

 Check oil level.

 Check function of steering, throttle, shift, and emergency stop circuit and lanyard.

 Check condition of propeller.

 Confirm operation of engine monitor system self-test and warning horn.

 Confirm the cooling system is operational (water intake screens and water pump indicator).
 Confirm this Operator’s Guide is onboard and readily accessible

Periodic Checks

 Check condition of anti-corrosion anodes (annually or every 100 hours).

 Check for debris on propeller shaft (requires propeller removal).

 Clean and wax upper and lower engine covers (annually or every 100 hours).

 In salt water applications, check lubrication points and corrosion protection. Use Evinrude anti corrosion spray or Evinrude “6 in 1” multi-purpose lubricant (annually or 100 hours).

hooknpull
11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
yeah and it states by a authourised brp dealer. sneaky buggers!

FishHunter
11-12-2011, 06:21 PM
yeah and it states by a authourised brp dealer. sneaky buggers!

No sneakier than any car or motorbike manufacturer.

hooknpull
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
yeah but i just thought people should know this one. alot of people do leave it for 3 years..

stue2
11-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Here we go. Only got two bears left to

ozscott
11-12-2011, 07:43 PM
If I bought an etec (and I wont be anytime soon...) I would be taking it in for check ups including checking water pump pressure once per season, simple as that. Why risk it. We know that the advertising is clever to say the least (and spare with the detail on the 3 years no servicing idea) but at least people on this site wont be mislead in a hurry.

Cheers

Jabba_
11-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Every dealer I have spoken too, that being local, interstate and in the USA have said, if the peroidical maintance is done by the owner, BRP will honor their warranty.

stue2
11-12-2011, 08:02 PM
If I bought an etec (and I wont be anytime soon...) I would be taking it in for check ups including checking water pump pressure once per season, simple as that. Why risk it. We know that the advertising is clever to say the least (and spare with the detail on the 3 years no servicing idea) but at least people on this site wont be mislead in a hurry.

Cheers

All the Lads that I know do exactly that. They do long runs and don't want any problems. Like you say, Why risk it.

Cheers, Stu

cgibbo308
11-12-2011, 08:10 PM
No sneakier than any car or motorbike manufacturer.

thats true, but what is not said by ANY dealer is that, they have to stand by the waranty as long as
the car, boat or bike is serviced by a licensed mechanic that compleats the service by the dealers
service book. am pretty sure thats law as well.

stue2
11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
thats true, but what is not said by ANY dealer is that, they have to stand by the waranty as long as
the car, boat or bike is serviced by a licensed mechanic that compleats the service by the dealers

Should that read Qualified licensed mechanic

cgibbo308
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Should that read Qualified licensed mechanic

Qalified by ev etec or industry?

stinky-stabi
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Every dealer I have spoken too, that being local, interstate and in the USA have said, if the peroidical maintance is done by the owner, BRP will honor their warranty.

im with you on this one , after two and half years gear position switch replaced ,, no questions asked,,,,

Skusto
12-12-2011, 09:25 PM
im with you on this one , after two and half years gear position switch replaced ,, no questions asked,,,,

me to no questions asked about warranty grease myself inbetween major services

cormorant
13-12-2011, 12:32 AM
So does any person know of anyone who has had a claim rejected because of this in any country??;D

And is there a exclusive Austarlian version of the BRP manual or just the generic? Warranty must comply with aussie law no matter what is written. Check directly with a BRP dealer and get it in writing from BRP Australia if you are worried.

BRP and other companies must wake up to themselves and issue a ammendum to be glued in to stop these sorts of misunderstandings. Should have to be supplied with complant manuals and warranty info- probably are but info is selectively posted. The extra fine print usually says warranty requirements must comply with local laws in generic manuals.

If you want me to drag up the wording in all other brands I think you will find even more onerous claims that are just as invalid

I won't even go near extended warranties and 3rd party extended warranties with depreciating values. Not pretty.

Jabba_
13-12-2011, 05:23 AM
No, I haven't hear off any rejection off claims due to not getting a authorized Evinrude mechanic to grease the tilt tube and steering tube yearly on a saltwater used.. If there had been it would off been all over E-tec Owners Forum..
After speaking with a couple off local dealers they have never had a claim dismissed for such reason either. In fact Evinrude do go a long way to help their customers. I have heard a lot off stories about BRP honoring goodwill warranty on motors that are over 12 months out off warranty...

stue2
13-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Qalified by ev etec or industry?

Sorry cgibbo308, I'm thinking authorised but my question might be answered in next few post.

If basic maintenance is done by the book by a mechanic and not necessarily etec authorised it should be ok?

TopBhoy
13-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Is this specific to BRP/ETEC engines or do you know how warranty claims are dealt with by other engine manufacturers ie Suzuki, where the Suzuki agent hasn't done the servicing, would they refuse to honour the warranty?

Noelm
13-12-2011, 08:02 AM
I think (and this is my opinion only) if there was a legitimate fault with a car/boat/motor/TV or whatever during the warranty period, the repair would not be refused, UNLESS some nit wit had somehow damaged the item or caused the fault, and was not an authorised repairer of the item, if only routine service was carried out by recognised "tradesmen" I seriously doubt the repair would be knocked back, a lot of warranty repairs are at the descretion of the dealer, NOT the manufacturer (I have been involved for many years) so sometimes if a warranty claim is refused, it is the dealer at fault (if you get the difference) I have been involved in all sorts of industry over my working life and I can never remember a warranty claim being knocked back when I submitted it to the manufacturer/supplier.

stue2
13-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Noel is there something in there where the part is warranty but labor is picked up by the dealer?

wirlybird
13-12-2011, 07:39 PM
if it stuffs up within the period just say it has been running in fresh all its life if you flush it out properly how are they gonna know seriously

hooknpull
13-12-2011, 08:16 PM
im pretty sure they would be able to tell with the erosion from the salt...

cormorant
16-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Guys it has been discussed before
It is a gee up

Don't get sucked in by this crap

Please phone or email BRP Austraia and check

cgibbo308
16-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Is this specific to BRP/ETEC engines or do you know how warranty claims are dealt with by other engine manufacturers ie Suzuki, where the Suzuki agent hasn't done the servicing, would they refuse to honour the warranty?

Not to sure. Im only going on what i know with cars and bikes, so i would only assume that the warrenty laws would be the same in regards to service and warranty.

Some time back, dealers (cars and bikes) were telling people that if the vehicle was not serviced by that dealer (ie tojo or whome ever) that it would void warranty.

It ended up with the govt stating that. if the service is done 1. by a licenced mechanic, 2. by the manufacturers Book and stamped, then the dealer cant void the warranty.

So. if you had bought a Mazda 4x4 tray back and had a ford dealer do the service, they were not allowed to void the warranty, if the service was done by the book and filled out. same if it had been done by a mobile mechanic like lube mobile (arrrrr have the advert tune in my head and cant get it out now :wut: ) and im sure that was the same for 2nd hand cars and bikes.

Im sure as im laying here in bed that if you sent an email to the dept of fair trading asking them, im sure they would give all the info :) im only going off memory, and have forgotten my own birthday 2 years running so you may want to double check lol

My motor is a 1978 70hp rude so i dont need to worry about warranties at this point in my boating life lol

camw308
17-12-2011, 08:01 AM
I had BRP replace the trim and tilt unit on my etec 90 after the 3 year warranty was over,no questions asked,i thought that was pretty good service,as for the 3 year no service deal.....i wouldnt trust it,would you not check the oil in your car for three years?,i doubt it,better to be safe than sorry

TopBhoy
17-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I had BRP replace the trim and tilt unit on my etec 90 after the 3 year warranty was over,no questions asked,i thought that was pretty good service,as for the 3 year no service deal.....i wouldnt trust it,would you not check the oil in your car for three years?,i doubt it,better to be safe than sorry

Does the 3 year service requirement not only apply to those E-tec engines exclusively used in freshwater? I may be wrong but I thought I saw that caveat in the small print in one of their ads or brochure.

oldboot
17-12-2011, 11:55 AM
What I find realy offencive is where you have a bloke, saying how wondefull his ETECs are and spruking the 3 year no dealer service line and he is plainly in a salt water environment.

And we see this time and time again, boats plainly being used in Australia in plainly, salt water environments and the bloke standing there on camera on the boat that is in salt water spruking the 3 year service line direct to camera.

The vast majority of boats in Australia would be used in the salt water at some time thru the year, so the whole 3 year thing is a crock.

They need to be serviced every year at least like every other motor.

WHAT A CROCK.

cheers

stinky-stabi
17-12-2011, 01:29 PM
What I find realy offencive is where you have a bloke, saying how wondefull his ETECs are and spruking the 3 year no dealer service line and he is plainly in a salt water environment.

And we see this time and time again, boats plainly being used in Australia in plainly, salt water environments and the bloke standing there on camera on the boat that is in salt water spruking the 3 year service line direct to camera.

The vast majority of boats in Australia would be used in the salt water at some time thru the year, so the whole 3 year thing is a crock.

WHAT A CROCK.

cheers

pfff you must be easily offended then,,, if you havnt got one i wouldnt worry bout it ,,,, as us blokes that do have them know the real story so wat ever to the rest of ya's.....four years ive had mine and one service thank god i dont have a four banger(365 bucks in four years plus four bottles of oil,,, geez i must be close to going broke with such an outlay) :'(

Jabba_
17-12-2011, 05:58 PM

WHAT A CROCK.

cheers
Why is that?
Other then the tilt and steering tube needing to be greased yearly what els is there that requires changing annualy or every 100hrs?
Why would I want to part with $300-600 each year to change parts that are designed to last over 3 times longer?
Irudium plugs in these motor easerly last 300hrs. Evinrude's gear oil is without doubt best on the market and also easerly lasts 300hrs..
Are people to stupid to be able to change their fuel filter.. I do mine ever 50hrs
There is no oil that has to be drained and discarded like in a 4st. Just pour it in when the level is low.
The impellor also easerly last 300hrs.. So why would I want to change a part if its not worn or near it used by date?
No valves to be checked or adjusted..

If you follow the check list, there wont be anything that will egt missed, and if you do have a leaking prop shaft seal, I am sure you will notice some oil running down the skeg and onto the floor... Maybe, just maybe that could be a indicator to get your gear box checked by a machenic..

There is no reason why you cant get a yearly service, but there is really no need too, unless you are completly incompantant in doing it yourself..
Then by all means have a mechanic change the filter, check the gear oil and grease the tilt and steering tubes..

ozscott
17-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I understand that impellers 'wear' out from lack of use - 300 hours in 3 years would likely mean (unless you are dredging) that the impeller is getting used regularly. If you let it sit the rubber can get memory effect and not pump effectively (unless BRP have come up with a magic impeller material...).

Cheers

Jabba_
17-12-2011, 07:29 PM
differant compound yes, magical no.. Whats that tell tail for again.. How many off you dont have a water preasure gauge and why..
I have a few friends that have E-tec's and they bought around the same time as I did, (07 -08) there hours range from 50 to 150hr in 4 years... None had issues with their impellors or over heat problems, all went 3 years for their service..
However, if you are dredging sand and mud often, or running through shallow often, then yes it would be a very good idea to change your impellor more often..
As for me, I have a water preasure gauge, when my water psi drops below the minimum spec I will install a new impellor.. My last impellor lasted 2.5 years (300hrs).. at the time off the service it was still pumping at 4psi at idle.. Spec is 3-5psi at idle for the 250hp

ozscott
17-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I used to have a water pressure gauge tapped into an old Merc 650 I had years ago. It was a good thing because it didnt have a telltale on the side - it was at the back. Over the years of owning a Yammy I have become pretty adept at picking when the impeller pressure is getting a little bit down...but I have it changed either every year or every 1.5 years and do most of my fishing these days in deeper water. A pressure gauge is a good thing and really its a very good idea. I think ideally I might get one one day, but it does require drilling a hole into the head and I am little leery of that.

Cheers

Noelm
19-12-2011, 09:52 AM
as a general rule almost any impellor will last way more than 3 years, IF it is used reasonably regularly and you launch from a deep water (no sand) ramp, my old 70 Johnsons I had for about 7 years, never had the water pump replaced, and the guy that bought the boat off me never changed them either, he had the boat for over 4 years, and ended up half sinking it and buggering up one motor, the other one was running/pumping water just fine when it was traded in, so I can see no reason for a new water pump to not last 3 years.

oldboot
19-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeh so they bung some funky spark plugs in the engine and all the recommended regular servicing of the past was just a con to get us to part with our money then.

sorry they cant have it both ways..they cant spruke up the 3 year no dealer service, then turn arround and say that Oh all bets are off because its used in salt water.
Particularly in a market that is nearly all salt water exposed.

So are the seals any different, are the internals wonderfully designed so they don't accumulate sand, or corrode and have they done a damn thing to change the very good reasons why every outboard should be serviced annually.

NO they have just decided that its is a good selling point.....in fact a feature that is not a feature at all.....a "point of difference" that is no difference at all.

In my view dishonest plain and simple.

And what anybody else is doing wont change that.

cheers

Jabba_
19-12-2011, 03:58 PM
What dribble are you rambling on with oldboot.. The fact is if you have an Evinrude E-tec you can go 300hrs/3years between service's and BRP will honor their warranty.. There is nothing to say you cant get your motor serviced more regulary if you want.. It still remains 3years/300hrs whether it's in salt or fresh... And no it is not nessersary to have the dealer grease the tilt and steering tube, you can do it yourself at home..

And by the look off it they can have it both ways.. They have been doing since 2005.. If their 300hr/3year servicing is a con for saltwater users, then there would be a shit load off warranty rejections wouldnt there.. How many members have complained about BRP not honoring thier warranty because their motor was used in salt, and they only had 300hr servicing...... NONE..

If warranty has been rejected its been either a grey inport motor, or water was ingested..

If these motors are so shit house, you better hurry up and call Southport VMR and tell them.. But they might disagree with you as they love them.. Their using less fuel then the Suzuki's, their servicing has gone to being once a month to once every 3 months, their boats have a faster cruise speed, and faster top speed, faster hole shot, tow a hell off alot better, less weight in the stern so the Cat is riding higher out off the water.. But hey, you know better...

TopBhoy
19-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't intend to start a bunfight. Giventhe coments to date, I did look this evening in the E-tec brochure and have took this extract. I have bolded the text which I think is of particular relevance.

Evinrude outboard engine MUST BE completed and documented (see your BRP Service booklet – Service Records section) by your authorised BRP dealer. The service intervals and maintenance recommendations for the outboard engine MUST BE adhered to including the specific maintenance recommendations in the applicable BRP Operator’s Guide. This includes all recommended inspections and maintenance performed by an authorised BRP dealer during and following the initial 36 month BRP Limited Warranty period. Use in salt water and heavy use require specific maintenance and more frequent inspection as outlined in the applicable BRP Operator’s Guide. For some components an annual inspection performed by an authorised BRP dealer is mandatory. ONLY an authorised BRP dealer can perform the recommended routine, servicing/maintenance requirements and repairs. All services (including winterisation and pre-season inspection) must be recorded in your Evinrude logbook by your authorised BRP dealer. BRP reserves the right to request maintenance records to ensure qualification for this programme. ONLY BRP Evinrude certified parts, oils and lubes must be used for service and repairs of the Evinrude outboard engine during the entire eligible period for this programme to apply. BRP certified parts may include BRP new or remanufactured parts and components. BRP reserves the right to repair or replace any warranted unit in its sole discretion.

Jabba_
19-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I didn't intend to start a bunfight. Giventhe coments to date, I did look this evening in the E-tec brochure and have took this extract. I have bolded the text which I think is of particular relevance.

Yes, I also posted that in my first post in this thread.. The more frequent inspections related to the tilt and steering tube that have to be greased anually.. The question remains has anyone ever had the warranty claim rejected or voided due to not getting a certified mechanic to grease their tild and steering tubes...

I think what you will find is that BRP go above and beyond most peoples expectations with their warranty.. I have seen first hand BRP do goodwill warranty repairs to motors that are 12 months out off warranty.. Oh and they were use only in saltwater, and had only been serviced once in 4 years... so go figure...

The only way to get the real story is to either call or Email BRP and get the REAL facts from them..

oldboot
19-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't care who is using what product or what anybody else thinks of it, or what who honnors what, when.

When someone constantly pushes "3 year no dealer service" in almost every add and endorsementand the puts it in black and white that that is not the case for the majority of users as posted above......I call that deceptive.

That is a feature that is not a feature and a point of difference that is no difference at all.

Jabba mate I feel so sad that you are insecure in your purchase of an etec and you have to constantly defend it.

cheers

Skusto
20-12-2011, 09:58 PM
lol its amazing how some of u people are one minded, im pretty sure if the engine blew up but the tilt tubes werent greased they would honour there warrenty due to the tilt tubes having no play in the engine blowing up, now on the othere hand if it was tilt related well sure they have every reason to void.
stop being so narrow minded and making things sound bigger then what they actually are.

oldboot
20-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Isn't that the whole point of the discussion.......BRP making things sound bigger than they are.

Like longer service intervals when they are actually the same as many others.

Like a video pushing the "clean etec" and comparing it to a knobbled other brand old generation two stroke in the video.

Like making all sorts of claims that the other brands are only too happy to point out are not wonderfull......remember the mercury comparison adds.

cheers

Charlie
21-12-2011, 01:35 AM
"All services (including winterisation and pre-season inspection) must be recorded in your Evinrude logbook by your authorised BRP dealer"
Maybe an issue in North America, seems unlikely there would be anyone in oz wintererizing their boat.

PinHead
21-12-2011, 04:28 AM
come on oldboot..all advertising makes claims..whether they are truthful or not is another point. I bet all those clothes washing ads over the years don't actually makes those clothes glisten like they do on the ad.

I bet the Holden Ute does not create a cyclone when doing donuts.

Get over it..it is advertising. If people buy the product and are happy with it..good for them.

ozscott
21-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Yes I have been personally let down by cloths washing detergent.

Cheers

mikeaus
21-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe most current manufacturers that are making engines that require more servicing are not doing so to extract more money from you?

I guess we will see over time if the trend of the ETEC service and warranty is followed by the most popular brands. Its happened with cars with a the 15000km service and 5/10 year warranty and capped service prices. Its pretty standard though the board now and many customers expect it.

Of course there are still lots of car forums out there with plenty of threads by owners who simply will not believe that a vehicle a can run 15000km in-between services, but they can. If you want to you can service it more, I am sure the dealer will oblige.

If you refuse to believe we have the technology then buy your old trusty brand and pay to maintain it. This will always happen as some people just like things they way they have always been and are frightened to change, thats the way they like it.

finga
21-12-2011, 09:02 AM
come on oldboot..all advertising makes claims..whether they are truthful or not is another point. I bet all those clothes washing ads over the years don't actually makes those clothes glisten like they do on the ad.

I bet the Holden Ute does not create a cyclone when doing donuts.
THEY DON'T?????? BULLSH!T!!!!!!
Ah, you've just haven't seen a goof old country boy have a go doing a doee.
If I can get some dust coming up from doing doee's in the old Datto ute I reckon a Holden ute would be able get a bit of a willy willy happening

Get over it..it is advertising. If people buy the product and are happy with it..good for them.
Like those bloody fish finder thingamebobs everyone harps on about. They bloody blatantly lie they do.
My fish finders all say there's fish down there BUT can I get them on a hook??

And the Mitsubishi Triton, or was it the Hilux, advertisement on telly where the ute goes up the coconut tree and falls down or falls over a cliff full of coconuts or same crap like that.

And I've never had a party when ever I've opened a can of Coke like they do in the ads.
I wonder how many Breaker milks TOL has ever had expecting a Breaker Girl to pop up out of the blue??

Is there such a thing as racist towards machinery??
Machineryist????

Oi Googleboot. Jabba isn't insecure. He's happy :)

Oh....just thought. I have to get one of those Victa's so I'll have time to 'cut the neighbour's lawn'. Oh. Hang-on. Just remembered what the 'neighbour's lawn' looks like :(

Tickleish
21-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I'll start of by saying I don't own an ETEC & never have, I generally go for Mercs if they have something good in the power range I'm after.
BUT I had my first real contact with one fishing for three days on an old haines repowered with a V4 130 ETEC.

It was beutaful piece of engineering and would be the class leader in that power range IMO. Smooth power and heaps of it, I don't understand why people bag them so much espically when they've had nothing to do with them.

After spending time with an ETEC I now thing that the baggers are actually jealous and make up alot of the stories to try and make themselves feel better, like the tall poppy thing!!

Any way I might get one in the future so I can join in on these arguments more often.

ozscott
21-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Tickleish - its not about jealousy for me, its about making sure they have sorted everything with the new tech before going that way. They are close (from a purely personal viewpoint...others would say they are there already). When they run as they were designed to do and with good fresh fuel, they are a super quiet, powerful weapon. I have just got a second hand motor that should comfortably last me until I am ready for a newy. I may well go ETEC, but I am content to wait to see how they are going and how their new ones are in say 4-5 years or so.

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
21-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Jabba mate I feel so sad that you are insecure in your purchase of an etec and you have to constantly defend it.

cheers

Come on OB, I enjoy reading Jabba's opinion on etec's. I don't think that if he found them indefensable that he would bother with an opinion.

Its important to get people who have personal experience to get on here and have their say, same as yours.

I'm in the process of buying another boat and talked to a guy who owns a storage facility yesterday. He said to keep away from etec's. Then I talked to a dealer who services both etec's and zuks. He said that warranty problems were pretty even between both motors. I didn't waste our time going into this 300 hour business as I think its irrelevant in the choice of buying which ever motor.

Tickleish
21-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah ozscott I know what you mean, I love old tech 2strokes as well. I might have been pulling it a bit with the jealousy line but I seriously can';t understand how they get up some peoples nose so much.

I've never been a holden VS Ford, Merc Vs Johnyrude kind of guy I just buy what I like and this has always served me well. I know some blokes who have missed out over the years because of their narrow minds.

ozscott
21-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Just watching ifish that I taped whilst looking at this thread. Worsteling has just changed from etec to Suziki 4 stroke. Do either or both give him free motors? At the least they would be subsidized I would think. Cheers

TopBhoy
22-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Just watching ifish that I taped whilst looking at this thread. Worsteling has just changed from etec to Suziki 4 stroke. Do either or both give him free motors? At the least they would be subsidized I would think. Cheers
He waxed on for ages on how great Etec were and is now saying pretty much the same for Suzukis. On occassions there are advertorials within the program where he prominently features his choice of engine. Previously it was Etec, now Suzuki; he's a sponsors tart!! You accept or reject this concept as a condition of viewing.

Jabba_
22-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Just watching ifish that I taped whilst looking at this thread. Worsteling has just changed from tec to Suzuki 4 stroke. Do either or both give him free motors? At the least they would be subsidized I would think. Cheers
The show and Paul are sponsored by the Haines Group..
It will only be a matter off time before his sponsors change again. That's normal. Next time it might be Yamaha or Mercury..
It cost paul a mountain off money to air ifish, and NO he does not get 1 red cent from the TV broadcasters,,, it comes from his sponsors and Tackle World franchisee owners.. It cost about 100K to air 1 episode, so Paul is constantly looking for the best deal he can get with his sponsors.....

Back on track with the warranty.. My Trim Tilt relay has been playing up intermittently.. The motor would trim up but not down.. This would happen once and a while, but started happening more often (once every few trips) in the last few weeks... Contacted Jimmy at Paradise Point and he said he will see what he can do the price... My motor is 14months outside its warranty, so I thought no chance off warranty or goodwill on this.. Anyway Jimmy called back a week later and BRP are replaceing the relay on goodwill... Thats great customer service from BRP, and some parrot wonders why I like to stick up for them....

1 service in 400hrs and 4 years, only used in saltwater..

ozscott
22-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I figured it was purely who would sponsor. Thing is Jabba is he gets a Yammy and waxes on, he would then be right :)

Cheers

Jabba_
22-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Apparently the rumor is, Paul is talking to Parsun...

Noelm
22-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Jesus, now THAT would take some advertising dollars to pull off, but you never know, some people seem to fall for the oldest tricks, some knuckle head on TV said it is good, so I better run out and buy one.

myusernam
23-12-2011, 08:36 AM
The show and Paul are sponsored by the Haines Group..
It will only be a matter off time before his sponsors change again. That's normal. Next time it might be Yamaha or Mercury..
It cost paul a mountain off money to air ifish, and NO he does not get 1 red cent from the TV broadcasters,,, it comes from his sponsors and Tackle World franchisee owners.. It cost about 100K to air 1 episode, so Paul is constantly looking for the best deal he can get with his sponsors.....

Back on track with the warranty.. My Trim Tilt relay has been playing up intermittently.. The motor would trim up but not down.. This would happen once and a while, but started happening more often (once every few trips) in the last few weeks... Contacted Jimmy at Paradise Point and he said he will see what he can do the price... My motor is 14months outside its warranty, so I thought no chance off warranty or goodwill on this.. Anyway Jimmy called back a week later and BRP are replaceing the relay on goodwill... Thats great customer service from BRP, and some parrot wonders why I like to stick up for them....

1 service in 400hrs and 4 years, only used in saltwater..
jabba, you can switch relays (seperate up and down) and a bit of spray would have probably fixed it. good to know where they are incase one ever fails.

mate how many injectors have failed? If you have one go outside warranty you might not be singing praises

oldboot
23-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeh sounds like the relay is a known problem with parts not being up to scratch...cheap part, cheap PR for BRP.

A few years ago I took my Bro inlaws 10 year old 30 merc in for a service......they did an upgrade on the coolant bypass poppet valve free of charge, because it said so in the service bulliten.

as for the rediculous things in adds........there is a clear difference in consumer law....rediculous things in adds like utes creating storms, aftershaves making you a martial arts hero and anything like that is specificlay clasified as "puffery" and is distinct from plain and outright "claims".

The "3 year no dealer service" is a plain and straight forward claim.....in many other circumstances they would be forced one way or another to air a disclaimer......"batteries not included"

But compared to the rest of the commercial world, the recreational boating industry is still the wild west.

3 YEAR NO DEALER SERVICE, salt water use excepted" YE HA:cowboy:

Noelm
23-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I dont think it says anywhere "salt water use excluded" that is more what the haters say to try to gain some ground, but I am happy to be proven wrong, unless that claim by oldboot is just "puffery" too.

Jarrah Jack
23-12-2011, 09:45 AM
, unless that claim by oldboot is just "puffery" too.

Oldboot and puffery in the same sentence.......Never......;D;D

Gotta love etec threads, lots of fun.

Fed
23-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I've never taken much notice of the ads but maybe they say No engine service for 3 years and that would hold true I guess.

They are obviously aiming it at 4 stroke oil changes & belts & tappets etc.

oldboot
23-12-2011, 10:02 AM
OLDBOOT, trusted by trade workers world wide.

finga
23-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Either that or they're full of little sharp spiky things
http://pickmeyard.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/gregs-boots.jpg

Noelm
23-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Oldboot and puffery in the same sentence.......Never......;D;D

Gotta love etec threads, lots of fun.

yeah, e-tec threads just dribble on, then they blow up faster than a crook injector! then die down a bit, untill the 300hour service mark is reached, and it all revs up again. Puffery I say!

Jabba_
23-12-2011, 10:31 AM
jabba, you can switch relays (seperate up and down) and a bit of spray would have probably fixed it. good to know where they are incase one ever fails.

mate how many injectors have failed? If you have one go outside warranty you might not be singing praises
I have drop 2 at 19hrs.. They cost $300 each to replace.. I have 400hrs on the clock now.. I am not concerned about the injectors, I dont think it will drop anymore. if one was to let go, it would be most likely caused by water in the fuel tank.. All outboards are prone to this, and it then becomes a insurance matter...

oldboot
23-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Then that comes down to the manufacturer failing to install or require adequate fuel filtration.

Most old tech' outboards may fail to run if they get water in the fuel, but a drain of the fuel bowls and some fresh clean fuel in the tank and its all good.

Not all outboards have some sort of fatal failure due to a little bit of water.

I saw a bloke post a simmilar issue recently...he baught a new excavator that had a common rail diesel in it, very similar to the one in his ute.......it came fitted with pretty damn funky dual filter, multistage stage fuel filtration system....no water was getting past that lot....yet we hear of various manufacturers denying claims on fuel system faults due to water when they have a piss poor factory filtration system.

If you are going to market a fuel system that is sensitive to fuel impurities, in an environment where impurities in fuel is a known issue, surely it needs to be specified with adequate fuel filtration or it simply is not fit for purpose.

OLD BOOT the choice of champions.

Gazza
23-12-2011, 12:35 PM
He waxed on for ages on how great Etec were and is now saying pretty much the same for Suzukis. On occassions there are advertorials within the program where he prominently features his choice of engine. Previously it was Etec, now Suzuki; he's a sponsors tart!! You accept or reject this concept as a condition of viewing.jmo , I think all "bigname" brands and technology is Great , no exceptions bar the users personal preference. :D

I am a 2-stroke 50:1 present user (I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning)......;D

"personally" I would choose to "ramp-up" to an E-Tec oneday , as I like 2strokes & basic simplicity ,jmo

Merry Xmas to ALL 2/4 strokers ,and may :thumbup: our outboards START every Time !! :thumbup:

finga
23-12-2011, 08:47 PM

What do you mean by these statements?

I thought an Oldboot was something that people had worn out and threw away.
But I have been known to be wrong so I did a Google for the term Oldboot just like Googleboot.
This is the result
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=oldboot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

So the first cab off the rank....http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Old_boot
Wikia describes An Old boot is an untradable useless item (http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Useless_item). It cannot be worn, nor can it be used with another Old boot to make a pair of old boots.

So I'm a bit puzzled how you got to and why you wrote OLDBOOT, trusted by trade workers world wide and OLD BOOT the choice of champions
It all sounds a bit Fig Jam to me.

oldboot
23-12-2011, 10:46 PM
It about as meaningfull as "3 years no dealer service"

It called satire.

OLDBOOT, the fragrence for men.

Jarrah Jack
24-12-2011, 07:14 AM
OLDBOOT, the fragrence for men.

One thing I can say about you OB is that when you're on a scent you never let go.:)

I think you're onto something about the filters but its not only etec's in that department.

finga
24-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Then that comes down to the manufacturer failing to install or require adequate fuel filtration.

Most old tech' outboards may fail to run if they get water in the fuel, but a drain of the fuel bowls and some fresh clean fuel in the tank and its all good.

Not all outboards have some sort of fatal failure due to a little bit of water.

I saw a bloke post a simmilar issue recently...he baught a new excavator that had a common rail diesel in it, very similar to the one in his ute.......it came fitted with pretty damn funky dual filter, multistage stage fuel filtration system....no water was getting past that lot....yet we hear of various manufacturers denying claims on fuel system faults due to water when they have a piss poor factory filtration system.

If you are going to market a fuel system that is sensitive to fuel impurities, in an environment where impurities in fuel is a known issue, surely it needs to be specified with adequate fuel filtration or it simply is not fit for purpose.

Was this filtration system standard on all those excavators??
And how big (size and weight) and expensive are these filtration systems??
Does that mean every car manufacturer should be putting one of these sorts of filters in too as every car is susceptible to dodgy fuel...especially water.

Does it say in the manual that 'extra' filtration maybe required if fuel quality is unknown??

Stuart
24-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Advertising spin, that’s about the extent of it. I would hate to let my gearbox go with out an oil change for 3 years. And as a few have already stated, why would an engine be so sensitive to bad fuel or even contaminants? If they had an adequate filtration system then surly they wouldn’t need the disclaimers. If you blew a couple of injectors due to fuel issues I would be hitting the eject button on that motor or at least drop the old boot into its guts. I believe Honda have a very good filtration system in fact one of the best from what I hear.

oldboot
24-12-2011, 09:46 AM
One thing I can say about you OB is that when you're on a scent you never let go.:)

I think you're onto something about the filters but its not only etec's in that department.

It is definitely an issue and not just for ETECs.......If the manufacturer can not provide a product that is capable of dealing with the conditions that prevail in that market, the item is plainly not fit for purpose.

This is a definite issue with common rail diesel.....it is a know fact that our diesel fuel quality in this county is not as good or reliable as it is in the highly populated parts of europe.

As for a required standard for fuel filtration...I wish there was one.

cheers

OLDBOOT...when you'r on a good thing stick to it.