PDA

View Full Version : Importing Outboard Engine form USA

gav73
11-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Been for a trip to the states and seen the price of gear and just wondering has anyone bought a engine back and if so what is the procedure.
Cheers
Gav

Noelm
12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
do a serach, this has been done to death, with mixed reults, some go Ok, some face major drama at every turn, the short story is, US dealers are not supposed to sell outside the US, if you shop around you can find one who will (sometimes) then there is the warranty issue, no Aus manufacturer/vendor will honor a warrranty on a "grey import" be very careful with price, you need to be sure the price you pay includes, gauges, controls, prop and wiring harness, a lot do NOT! so after weighing all that crap up, if it is still worth the effort, then go for it, plenty do. Now all that is out of the way, there was a few ways to side step the US part, though most have been closed shut now, that being, dealers unpack motor, and ship as used, people get a friend to buy a motor for them in the US, then ship it here, some get importers to do all the work and pay for their time, it's your money, it's your potential motor and headache, so, its your choice.

sharkcat 23
13-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm in the process of importing 2 used 200hp outboards from the states at the moment, till recently the company I was dealing with was great, I got a quote for the import of $2000 and thought great, go for it, then when they turned up to pick them up they were packed in timber crates, not metal, so another cost of about $300 which I gave the go ahead for, the motors landed in Brisbane docks about 3 weeks ago and they sent me the final invoice for just over $4600, it seems the original quote didn't allow for a whole host of extra costs that were due, GST, import/customs tax etc all of which were in the fine print as I MIGHT be liable for but never mentioned anywhere that I would have to pay, they also hadn't told me of an extra $500 that I was liable for as the dimensions of the crates I was given was wrong, they were larger. I was sent the invoice with 1 day left of free storage and told the storage fee for any extra days was $126 per day.
I'm sure there are good people out there importing stuff from the USA, you just need to ask the right questions when you get a quote to make sure it contains everything. Good luck if you decide to continue, there are some good buys out there, I got 2 x 2003 200hp Yammie four stroke motors with about 350 hours on them for just under $13000 I couldn't buy one let alone two for that here.

Good luck
Doug

Jarrah Jack
13-12-2011, 12:58 PM
A mate just got a price for a new 115 zuk, 9.5k compared to 15k here. Once all the add on's were worked out it came to 13k so wasn't worth it in the end.

gav73
13-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Who was importing the engines for you.

sharkcat 23
13-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Gav.
Not sure who you wanted the information off, I was going through Cargo.com.au, got the contact from a thread on here that said they were good to deal with. I got the final bill including storage this afternoon, $5,468, not bad for a $2000 quote, it pays to have a little knowledge to ask the right questions beforehand.

Doug