PDA

View Full Version : Head north for Mackeral fever.

carnster
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Travelled north yesterday with my 2 boys, so that this morning at a lazy 7am, we could go out and have some fun using slugs. Only fished within 1km of the shore. Lost a couple of 1m+ grey mackeral at the boat but landed a mixed bag including school, spotty, spanish (released-72cm) and tasty grey mackeral, a yummy trout on a lure, plenty of mack tuna, heaps of small queenies and other varieties. I also had a 1m+ queenie have a go at my popper; awesome seeing it materialise behind my lure - massive boil. Good times with the boys.

jake_snapper_king
10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
how far north? seems like u were top end.

jake_snapper_king
10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
ps good effort. loooks like the boys are hooked.

carnster
10-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Nah not that far, would be a big drive in one day! Yeah the boys are lovin it.

jason p
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
well done mate top catch. not too many reports of macs around atm, except for carnster :thumbup:

jp

Giffo65
11-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice feed Chris,the lads look happy.

MEG-A-BITE
11-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Good catch well done nice get the lads on some fish, but what’s the secret about how far north? Can’t understand why you need to be so discreet about the general area.

BAR UP
11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Harvey bay is going off. Need to be mid northern bay.

robvee
11-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Travelled north yesterday with my 2 boys, so that this morning at a lazy 7am, we could go out and have some fun using slugs. Only fished within 1km of the shore. Lost a couple of 1m+ grey mackeral at the boat but landed a mixed bag including school, spotty, spanish (released-72cm) and tasty grey mackeral, a yummy trout on a lure, plenty of mack tuna, heaps of small queenies and other varieties. I also had a 1m+ queenie have a go at my popper; awesome seeing it materialise behind my lure - massive boil. Good times with the boys.

gOOD TIMES MATE !!!!
We were out in the rain on Moreton Bay saturday ... heaps of squire and 2 keeper snapper, and a drenching for good measure. Swell been too big for my little tinnie to hit the reef last week.
Maybe this week?? When ar eyou back from up north?

jarhead
11-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Top stuff mate.

Wal

carnster
11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Good catch well done nice get the lads on some fish, but what’s the secret about how far north? Can’t understand why you need to be so discreet about the general area.

Sorry mate, but when you see the pros run ring nets around them all (and around ya boat as well) you become a little discrete. I do know that ring netting is banned for spotties, but i can tell you it still happens (they say that they are targeting other fish and the spotties are "bycatch".

BLOOEY
11-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Very nice got the Grand slam of mackerel by the looks, shame the spanno diddn't go. Broad Bar taste like schoolies (doggies) to me. Ben

carnster
11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Very nice got the Grand slam of mackerel by the looks, shame the spanno diddn't go. Broad Bar taste like schoolies (doggies) to me. Ben

Yeah Ben might just be a personal thing. We don't catch them on the goldy, so i don't eat them much, but they were a stand out for me, had a reef fish texture and taste.

nigelr
11-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Great catch and report as always carster! Love your work and thanks for posting!
Ah yes, the old 'bycatch' ruse.........

tsea
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey Chris,
Nice going up there.
Be sure to say here fishy fishy and they can follow you back home.
Best wishes for the rest of your stay.
cheers
TC

MEG-A-BITE
13-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Sorry mate, but when you see the pros run ring nets around them all (and around ya boat as well) you become a little discrete. I do know that ring netting is banned for spotties, but i can tell you it still happens (they say that they are targeting other fish and the spotties are "bycatch".

Yes you have a very valid point there! thanks I understand where u coming from.

carnster
13-12-2011, 10:36 PM
PM sent Meg-a-bite.

Eug
14-12-2011, 07:10 AM
if they wont come to us, carnster will go to them.

ddobson
14-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Oh well done mate. Good to do all that with the kids. Sounded like goopd fun and hope you didnt get wet with storms up there. Cheers DD.....

Eug
14-12-2011, 06:40 PM
out of interest is your boat a galey?

carnster
14-12-2011, 10:16 PM
The boat that i have been fishing in is a 5m centre console. Havin a blast fishing in it.

carnster
14-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Chris,
Nice going up there.
Be sure to say here fishy fishy and they can follow you back home.
Best wishes for the rest of your stay.
cheers
TC

Yeah Todd for sure. They are in plagues here atm. I need to buy some more slugs. It is hard to resist one more cast, when you know you are going to get smashed by something. Had a xos spotty try to eat a legal school mackeral i had hooked, at the boat. Then i cast my other rod and he nailed it in full view, but i pulled the hooks on him later on. I could go on all day; epic fishing.

Jono_SS
21-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Hey Carnster, we managed to find them in southern Qld yesterday - on several occasions had hundreds of them swimming around and under the boat. It was a wonderful sight, and they were far from flighty! Hopefully a good sign for the weeks ahead.

There was lots of variety in the size of the fish.

Jono.

craigie
21-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Your killing me Jono !!!

JJT
21-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Jono_SS

where??? hha

been trying for a few weeks now. was down at palmy and mermaid yesterday plenty of bait no macs to be seen.

Kind regards Jason