PDA

View Full Version : 2001 explorer 500 cruise craft honda 90 advise?

coucho
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi guys,
going to have a look at one of these for sale this weekend anyone got any tips on things to watch out for?
Particularly concerned with the outboard I am told it has around 300 hrs on it and has been self serviced by the guy that ownes it. Any particular questions I should be asking?
Hull is absolutely immaculate from the pics and a mate of mine fishes in it from time to time he said its every bit as good as the pics.
so yeah any advice welcome and thanks in advance.

gofishin
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
300hrs on the Honda 90 is just run in apparently – even though it has a few hrs on it the old Honda 90’s have a bulletproof reputation. Self servicing is not necessarily a bad thing either – and as the owner sounds very fastidious (immaculate hull) the engine is probably the same. However, always go in with ‘open eyes’. There have been dozens of threads re ‘what to look for’ when buying second hand, so do a bit of searching etc.

If you are serious you would do well by contacting Gary (Spaniard King on Ausfish) and getting him to give the donk a once-over, as he is a mobile Honda tech.
Cheers
Brendon

Lachie1
09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I had a 90 honda on my last boat with around 700 hours on it when i sold it earlier this year, it was a 99 model and never let me down once. Depends how far you want to go with an inspection and how much you know about engines etc but if you are keen they why not check the plugs and make sure they all look ok and none are burning any different to the others, check the gear box oil, engine oil and make sure it looks ok etc. See it running and make sure it is ok under load.

As far as corrosion goes it varies a lot from engine to engine and manufacturer to manufacturer, depends how they've been treated, I pulled my 90 apart a year or so ago just for a look and it was all tip top - a bit of salt jammed in the thermostat but apart from that all ok.

I never went to this extreme as i had faith in the motors as they are a quality product in my eyes and just checked the oil and saw them running and a basic visual. Ask what servicing has been done, when the last service was done, last impellar/filter change etc. Anything new (secondhand) i get i always change all the oils, belts, impellars etc and start from scratch. Then you know where you are at and all should be sweet.

If you have any doubts then get some one like Spaniard King to check it over.

As far as the boat is concerened, i reckon they are a quality built boat but i have't had anything to do with the 500 series so cannot really comment.

Good luck with it all.

Regards,

Lachie

coucho
10-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys,
I would get Spaniard King to look it over but the boat is in Port Macquaire so not really an option. Will give it a good look over and take it for a run before I buy it but the fact the hull looks the way it does, as Brendon said is probably testament to how much time and effort he has put in on it and hopefully if everything goes well might be a cruise craft owner next week.