PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 16-17ft project hull, any ideas?

diver dan
09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi, may name is Dan and I've looked at this site for years but never paid the membership fee until now. I live in the Burdekin region sandwiched between Townsville and the Whitsundays.I love boats, fishing for red emperor and nannygai at night and spearfishing during the day.

Anyway, I noticed that this site has lots of people who really know their boats and I have a question. I currently have a seafarer 474 v-sea, which I bought for the trailer and the outboard. My plans were to find a classic old 16-17ft hull that rides really well, reglass it completely without timber as a project and then use my current outboard and trailer for it.

I'm just making up a list of hulls to hunt around for and this is what I've come up with so far.

- Haines V17
- Haines V16
- Mustang 1700
- Caribbean safari

If anyone can add to this list I'd really appreciate it. ideally I would like a boat that has a deep vee of at least 20 degrees.

Jarrah Jack
09-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Haines 17 r, much cheaper than the L, would be top of my list. Then if you found an L going cheap? although for up your way the cab is not that important.

Cruise craft reef raider would be a contender. Yalta also. Then there is the bigger seafarer viking.

Hope that helps and welcome to the site.

Noelm
09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
there is a really good 18' boat near me, the guy has cut the floor out and thats as far as he got, I used to own the same boat and have often thought about going and buying it off him, been laying there on the trailer for about 4 years now, it used to have a stern drive, so a perfect time to fit a pod without too much transom work! brand is a Graywill made in Melbourne, I think they are still made, though not 100% sure.

diver dan
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Haines 17 r, much cheaper than the L, would be top of my list. Then if you found an L going cheap? although for up your way the cab is not that important.

Cruise craft reef raider would be a contender. Yalta also. Then there is the bigger seafarer viking.

Hope that helps and welcome to the site.

Yeah a haines v17L would be best but I think R's are older and are more likely to be rotten hence cheaper to buy. The reef raider and viking both have 19 degree vees so probably not quite the ride I'm chasing. The 189 Yalta might be a good choice but starting to get a little bigger than I was wanting. I didn't want a hull heavier than a v17 at most.

Any of the smaller mustangs, nova's or cruisecrafts have deep vees?

FishHunter
09-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I got Reef Ranger by asking the local boat repairer if he knew of any old boats.

diver dan
09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I got Reef Ranger by asking the local boat repairer if he knew of any old boats.

I love reef rangers, awesome wide boats! too bad they weigh like twice as much as a v17. Where I live, lots of people are always hunting hulls so there aren't many around. If anyone lives from Mackay to Cairns and knows of a hull laying around, I'd love to know.

I think I've got my heart set on a Caribbean safari as they have a 24 degree vee! same as my mates formula. Because I dive mostly, stability at rest doesn't really bother me.

Noelm
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
what's wrong with using the Vsea? they were/are a very good boat for the size, probably equal to (and maybe better) than some of the boats mentioned.

diver dan
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
what's wrong with using the Vsea? they were/are a very good boat for the size, probably equal to (and maybe better) than some of the boats mentioned.

Yeah, I did think about it. It is a great little boat but I guess it's probably the look of it that I'm not the biggest fan of. When I reglass my next boat I want to keep it forever and just continue upgrading the outboard every 10 years of so. With the time and energy that goes into reglassing a boat, I'd rather do it to something I'm more proud of i guess.

Jarrah Jack
09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I did think about it. It is a great little boat but I guess it's probably the look of it that I'm not the biggest fan of. When I reglass my next boat I want to keep it forever and just continue upgrading the outboard every 10 years of so. With the time and energy that goes into reglassing a boat, I'd rather do it to something I'm more proud of i guess.

You married?;D The 17 L the best looking by a long way I reckon. You may come across one that you could get trucked up.

Si
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
i have a deep vee. Haines Signature 1750C. Great Hull! Better ride than some brand new boats I've been in. I'm possibly going to sell it for cheap soon. maybe 8k with motor and trailer.

diver dan
12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
i have a deep vee. Haines Signature 1750C. Great Hull! Better ride than some brand new boats I've been in. I'm possibly going to sell it for cheap soon. maybe 8k with motor and trailer.

Might be interested, I drive down to Brissy every year. I was more looking for a hull only but when you are ready to sell let me know if you like.