PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Monitoring System on a Boat Trailer

PeterInSA
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Looking at getting a Tyre monitoring system for our tandem caravan and boat trailer. The set that I like has a replacable battery (battery lasts a year) on the fitting that you screw into the valves on your tyres. The other type that you also screw onto the valve stem are a sealed sender/battery that lasts 3 or 4 or 5 years then you throw the unit away and pay around $50 each ie $300 for the set of 6.

Both units send a signal to a unit in your vehicle when the tyre pressure falls more than 3psi compared to the pressure you originally set the tyre for. The in cabin unit then sets off an alarm and indicates the problem tyre.

Both setups cost around $450 for 6 wheels, I prefer the senders with the replacement battery, water is kept out by a rubber ring seal, because once purchased, you have them for life. With the sealed unit it costs $300 every 4 years or so to replace the senders. Another point against the sealed units is, that the manufacturer may change the design and the new senders may not work with the 4 year old in cabin unit, so you could be up for a completely new setup.

My question is, Do you have the units with the replacement battery and how do they go on your boat traler when the trailer goes for a swim every time you use the boat? ie do the seals keep the sender on your wheels water tight?

Of course you can unscrew the senders prior to putting the boat into the water, but its just another thing to do.

Peter

cormorant
08-12-2011, 12:16 PM
One brand also has senders that monitor bearing temps

Put up the ones you have found . You can't use boat and caravan at the same time so max you need is 4 and just swap them to the van when using that.

In 4 years time the systems like everything will become cheaper - more accessible , more competition.

Hate to say it but anything at a boat ramp has a chance of getting knocked off so you would probably unscrew them anyway unless at a private secure ramp with cameras.

Haven't seen em for a while but a guy was doing a axel sensor that did tyre pressure / temp ( I thing ultrasonically) or simply to distance to road along with bearing temp. I'll try and find the details.

Deelirious
27-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Guys this is an old post but there aren't any more recent one re TPMS for boat trailers. Did you put the system on and how is it going?CheersEddie