PDA

View Full Version : Trailer - Repairs/advice

justinsmith
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi
I have had my kevlacat in a marina for the past 5 years but now its time to put it on the trailer - I have a trailer which is a home-made one which basically has been sat in the yard with no use for about 5yrs. I want to get someone to check it over to make sure its going to be roadworthy and also take the cat back on it.

I have absolutely no idea about trailers so keen to get it checked out and any work done it prior to me sticking a 3tonne cat on it.

I am aware that the trailer is likely to need some maintenance done on it to get it up to scratch and am happy to spend the money.

Any advice/comments are welcome

rosco1974
07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
hey mate,get a mechanic to look over the breaking system as will prob be buggered.look at the springs and axls and check the winch cable...just hope the nissan will stop it .lol
cheers rosco

tunaticer
07-12-2011, 08:55 PM
What looks rusty or dodgy first of all??

justinsmith
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok here goes....

The trailer is alloy so its in good condition (to the untrained eye) ... the brake pipes, shocks look rusty... I took it for a trial yesterday as I am not the greatest at backing a trailer and the braking seemed ok ....

I have had a couple of offers for someone to give it the once over....

My concern is I dont wanna drive the cat up on it and it fails or chews the crap out of the gelcoat....

As for the Nissan - Ross its the best rig for the job !!!!

rosco1974
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM
hey mate another thing is the wheel bearings(spelling) dont want to see the boat on the trailer and the wheels fall of as u drive it up the ramp...think i will be pulling mine out of the marina as well soon....maybe get luke from the marina to have a look at it.he has done a few trailers up down there of late.another tip check the towing rating on the patrol as alot wouldn't be rated to tow the weight of the kevlacat.
cheers rosco

Seahorse
08-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I got a bloke on the northside who rains boat trailers. Good price

Seahorse
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
That should read repairs boat trailers. Don't know how that happened.

mickjbuist
08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Replace bearings and make sure you fit seals, check springs and U bolts, is it dual axle?. Basically check everything that could fail.

Where are you located?

frankgrimes
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
That should read repairs boat trailers. Don't know how that happened.

Was it "The Trailer Guys"? pretty sure there on nthside?

justinsmith
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all your comments guys.... I have a couple of guys whole are going to get involved....
Hopefully it will be all good .....

BM
09-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Does the trailer have an electric/Hydraulic brake unit with breakaway system? You will need that in order to get rego for the trailer.