PDA

View Full Version : Conman hitting Ausfish Classifieds

Camhawk88
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I just thought Id bring to everyone's attention that a fairly common con is doing the rounds on Ausfish.
There have been a number of threads on here about blokes being contacted by email for boats they have for sale ,with the person saying they work on rigs and will send a courier company to pick up the goods etc. etc.
Well this morning I had a PM from a new user who has only joined this month. I wont name them in case I am wrong however MODs if you want me to PM the user namer I will happily do so. I have seen 3 other members have visited his page so I assume they have also been the target of his con attempts.

Anyway here is the email I recieved after letting them know the rod is still for sale:

Hello

Thank you for the update e-mail,i really do appreciate it..I'm a marine engineer but i'm off shore at this moment.
Your asking price is fair and the shipping will not be a problem.I have contacted an agency to handle the transportation cos i have other vital deliveries.My preferred means of payment is a bank check,guarantee and easily cashed.
You keep $300 and the money left on the check is for the pick/shipping and you are to make it available for the shipping agency so that they can be in your location for the pick-up at your convenience.Provide your full name,mailing address and phone # so that payment can be sent asap.

I await this information details and i surely will give you a call the minute i arrive onshore so that every other arrangement can be intact..The best way to contact me is via email as I'm always running around with things.

Muddy Toes
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll name him........White Tom with the Ausfish name of TomTom2.

Mossy247
06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Name n shame. Scammers, con jobs they should be left at the bottom of the ocean. Anyone who tries to scam people deserve a swift kick to the head.

Boab Bribie
06-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Name him he is a con i had the same email when i sold one of my boats on Boat point

Camhawk88
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
No problems naming him- Muddy toes has already done so. I just wanted to be 100% before slagging off an innocent party. TomTom2 or Tom White as MT said- but I garrantee this is not his real name so lets just go with his soon to be de-listed username shall we?

softplasticsdude79
06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
yeah,he just Pm me for my daiwa fishing rod i have for sale.

Adam

softplasticsdude79
06-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Name n shame. Scammers, con jobs they should be left at the bottom of the ocean. Anyone who tries to scam people deserve a swift kick to the head.

No Mossy your wrong , 3 swift kicks to the head.

Muddy Toes
06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Why do Nigerians always need so much boating and fishing stuff?

randell
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
report it to Fraud and Coorporate Crime Squad, Qld Police, Brian Hayes is head..
They handle nigerian, romantic scams..
randell

Camhawk88
07-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately Im a bit too lazy to follow through with that- particularly as it is usually fruitless. I just wrote him an email and told him towander off -not gonna waste my time over that POS.

Lucky_Phill
07-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I didn't see any alerts. Only one person has contacted me about this.

problem IS fixed. ;D

any similar issues, just pm me or hit the Mod alert icon at the bottom of each post.

cheers Phill

Vitamin Sea
07-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I had the same when I sold the 19C, they are out there

Cheers

VS

wayno60
07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
No Mossy your wrong , 3 swift kicks to the head.

No your wrong too.....offer to take him out to the 50's, to show how good the rods are .................................................. ... funny how two go out and only one comes back....

Muddy Toes
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
No your wrong too.....offer to take him out to the 50's, to show how good the rods are .................................................. ... funny how two go out and only one comes back....

Funny you should say that, i emailed him offering a test drive of my boat so he could check the motor out:D.I also said that I've heard that he's been looking at a lot of fishing and boating stuff here on Ausfish and offered to help him out looking at some of the stuff and getting him in to fishing as he seemed to be a bit of a novice at this great hobby.:devil:
I was also kind enough to offer to give him my account details when i meet him in person at the ramp;D.
Gee i hope he replies with something good......I'm not holding much hope though, I just did it out of boredom at work today.

castamasta
08-12-2011, 08:50 PM
HI Guys....cant remember which website,but i copped the same scam several years back,not new but several people i spoke to then had experienced the same.
cheers,Gav

Crisp Bee
18-12-2011, 05:41 PM
i got an offer from him as well. He said he was a marine engineer and transferring out to Afganistan :)
I wonder how many marine engineers are working in Afganistan..... maintaining the US 6th Fleet i suppose :)

suzygs1000
13-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Well, here is my story so far:

This guy Tom White contacted me re my boat with his usual story. ( I was aware of him from this forum).

I replied to him, and gave him my address.

He sent me a Bendigo Bank Cheque for $6000. He told me $3000 was mine as deposit on the boat, and the other $3000 should be sent to his "surveyor" who would come and inspect the boat as soon as he was paid.

He also told me he would send the "surveyors" details in a later email.

I emailed him back agreeing to his terms, and advised him that I had just arranged to have funds transferred over to my cheque account, and would post off a cheque to the "surveyor", as soon as I received his details.

The next day, I received an email from Tom advising me of the "surveyors" name and address: Kenneth Robinson, 10 Reynolds Grove ,
Barne Barton ,Plymouth,Devon ,PL5 1HG , UK.

He also requested that I send the $3000 to the "surveyor" via Western Union. He gave me a list of places from where I could send funds via Western Union, with the nearest one being the Ingham Postoffice.

I wired him back, and advised him that I lived 80 kms out of Ingham, and no longer drove, hence the boat sale. I requested that he wire me via Western Union the sum of $250 so that I could get a cab into Ingham to send the funds to the "surveyor"

No answer, so I again emailed him, advising that I had another very interested buyer, but would really like to sell to him as he was prepared to pay the full price.

I am waiting for an answer.

I will try to post a copy of the "Bank Cheque" he sent me.

If I can't get it up, it does look pretty good, however, just under all the bank details is a line which reads " Security features included in this cheque is an microprinted signature line the ansence of which could indicate a fraudulent cheque". The errors are theirs, not mine. I don't think they are the sharpest tools in the shed.

Here are the emails in chronological order:

(I do not have his original email).

Hi, Tom Tom,

Sorry, I have not been on the forum for a few weeks.

Yes the boat is still available if your interested. I am not actively trying to sell it. The motor is now out of warranty (ran out in November). Still has only 220 hours on it. Not been serviced yet, as it was serviced fully at 200 hours, including impellor.

Final price? Well, I guess I am open to offers.

Will trade, even a nice late model Harley....

You can phone me on 47986021, I am just outside Ingham.

Dave.

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:31:20 +0800
Subject: Re: Boat for sale.
To: davidjmorgan44@hotmail.com

Hello Dave,

Where are you located and what is your price and we will talk from there.

Tom

Hi, Tom,

We are located about halfway between Townsville and Cairns. The boat is actually in a marina. The price is still $30,000. do you have a boat you wish to trade?

Dave.

4...Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 01:27:37 +0800
Subject: Re: Boat for sale.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the update e-mail i do appreciate it..I'm a Marine engineer and i am off shore at the moment.
Your asking $30,000 is fair and i will like to make an initial deposit so you can be sure i'm very much interested.

I shall contact an independent surveyor and mechanic to come over and determine the fitness and suitable for the
intended usage then i can send your balance..As for the deposit,my preferred is a bank check,guarantee and shall be
easily cashed,keep $3000 as deposit then you send the money left on the check to the surveyor to be in your
location for inspection immediately because they have other vital inspections and deliveries for me.
Provide me your full name,mailing address and phone # so that the check can be sent.I shall be back in 3 weeks,but
then my regiment will be deployed to Afghanistan and I shall stay there for a while.
You would have all your money in your hand after inspection is completed before title is released and shipped okay.
I'll give you a call once i get onshore like wise the agent so that all arrangement could be intact..The best way to contact me is via email as I'm always running around with things..

Regards

Tom White

Hi, Tom,.

Yes that sounds ok to me. My details are:

David Morgan
33 Eddleston Drive
Cordelia via Ingham 4850.

Phone number is 47986021.

regards Dave.

Hello David,

This is to let you know that the payment is in the mail and you shall receive it anytime soonest.

It is a BENDIGO BANK CHEQUE,guarantee and easily cashed.

Based on our arrangement you keep $3000 and the remaining money on the cheque is for the surveyor agency

Send me an e-mail once you receive the cheque so that i can provide you with the agency details.

Regards

Tom

Hi, Tom,

Thanks for the deposit, received it today, and am very relieved to finally have sold the boat!

I have arranged to have $2000 transferred over to my personal cheque account, and as soon as you advise me who it needs to be sent to, you can be assured that I will send the cheque off immediately.

best regards, Dave.

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:20:27 +0800
Subject: AGENCY DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS

Hello David,

Thank you for the update that you got.I really do appreciate it.
However, base on arrangement keep $3000 and you wire the remaining money cash via western union to the survey agency to come over for the inspection immediately using details information below
They are making other vital supervisions and deliveries for me and i will urge them to come over to your place for Inspection at your convenience.

NAME.....................Kenneth Robinson

ADDRESS...............10 Reynolds Grove ,
Barne Barton ,Plymouth,Devon ,PL5 1HG
UK

This are Western union location close to you

AUSTRALIA POST
15 Lannercost Street
Ingham, 4850

INGHAM NEWSAGENCY
42 Lannercost St
Ingham, 4850

AUSTRALIA POST
31-33 Macrossan Street
Halifax, 4850

AUSTRALIA POST
4 Leichhardt Street
Allingham, 4850

Get back to me with the following transfer fund details Information once its done.

1.The MTCN # (10 digits) of the funds transfer
2.The Name and Address of sender
3.The exact amount sent..($3000 less Western Union fee)
4.The best date and time for the Inspection.

Please note that the survey agent cannot come over for the inspection except transfer is completed cash via Western Union using details information provided.
They work on first come first serve basis..Kindly reply this email once you read it and confirm your direct telephone number which you can be reached on all the time,So that the agent can call you and every other arrangement can be put in place thereafter.

Save me further delays so that every other arrangement can be intact cos you will have the rest money in your hand before title is released and boat transported..

Sincerely

Tom

Ok, Tom I will do that, but first can you wire me $250 via Western Union please. The reason is that I live 75 kilometers out of town, and we only have taxi service, as I can no longer drive, hence why I am selling boat. Taxi usually costs about $250. If it is any less than that, I will add the difference to the $3000 I am sending to Kenneth. If something goes wrong, and the sale falls through, I will be out of pocket for the taxi fare.

So before I can send the $3000, can you please wire me the $250?

thanks Dave.

Hi, Tom,

I hadn't heard from you so I guess you have gone back to work.

Can you please send me the taxi fares ($250) so that I can get into town to wire the $3000 off to your surveyor.

I really can't afford to do it myself at the moment, once your cheque clears I would have the money, but I have to get into town to bank the cheque.

There is some else very interested in the boat, but he only wants to pay $25000 for it, which I don't believe is enough, however, I do need the money, so will have to sell it at any cost.

Obviously, I would prefer to sell it to you, so please send the money.

thanks Dave

END OF EMAILS.

Will keep you posted re the $250. The may be stupid enough to send it, who knows?

Some may think I'm silly sending him my name and address, but the name and area is on my ad, and I am in the phone book, so I had no problems with that. Also, I can understand why the "surveyor" needs $3000 to do the inspection....he has to come from the UK.

Ahhhh, retirement......gives you plenty of time to indulge in smallplay.....

I will try to post a copy of the cheque in another reply, as after all the time it took to put this up, I would hate to blow it away!!!

Dave.

suzygs1000
13-01-2012, 02:01 PM

here is a picture of the cheque.......

timddo
13-01-2012, 02:06 PM
It's called reverse marketing

Yellowjack
13-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Lol those marine engineers sure have got a lot of money to spend, my mate got one similiar to this just before christmas (he was selling his IPOD)

What happened is they sent him the money for the ipod via PAYPAL and gave him details of where to ship it to, he recieved the payment and a few days later he went to send it. Just as he was leaving his house to go to the post office he logged into paypal to do a final check of the shipping address details and he sees his balance is negative -$##### (he transfered the money he recieved for his ipod straight to his bank account to make sure he recieved it)

He rings up paypal and asks what has happened, it turns out the buyer made a claim that someone had stolen his password and used it to send a payment to my mate (the seller). Apparently the IP address the money was sent from was a library computer (not the buyers actual computer) and there is no way of proving that it was actually the buyer who sent money to him.

My mate had to pay the money back to paypal, luckily he had not sent the ipod otherwise he would be left with nothing!

He sent an email to the email address that contacted him about buying the ipod and hasn't heard back from them as far as I know.

Be careful when using paypal and stuff like that to sell goods as their terms and conditions are apparently crap and have no security for sellers.

Cheers,
Jack

Marlin_Mike
13-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi, Tom,.

David Morgan
33 Eddleston Drive

regards Dave.

You're a gamer man than me giving him your details like that mate. All he needs to start stealing your identity, which is absolutely a huge industry now. And once they do it, you get into serious shit, and have to spend half your life proving it wasn't you who got that finance, or they transfer your property and sell it. Better off deleting them and getting on elsewhere. Dangerous shyte IMHO. But just my opinion, be it only 2 cents worth.......

Yellowjack
21-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Got an email from a Prince.

Mohammed el Hasan (mohammedelhasan@gmail.com)

SUBJECT - Happy New year‏

I was moved to contact you and see how best we can assist each other. I have an important business discussion i wish to share with you which I believe will interest you.I Am the Special Adviser to my (Mr President) on petroleum matters, I have with me the sum $25.5m I realized this fund from sales we made in cash from Crude oil trades.

I need your foreign partnership to assist me invest in your country.I have interest in buying of shares, real estate management and any other profitable businesses you may wish to recommend for me. If you think you can handle this get back to me soonest so i will give you full details.

I Await your response as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Prince el Hasan

Feel free to email him for a bit of fun!

Cheers,
Prince Jack

Gon Fishun
21-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Yep, Suggested he email China as nothing left to sell in Qld or it is foreign owned;D

wamjam
22-01-2012, 08:08 AM
The same crap is happening with an add I have on the Trading Post. Think we are up to 6 dodgy texts, from dodgy numbers.

Scott

MudRiverDan
22-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I await this information details and i surely will give you a call the minute i arrive onshore so that every other arrangement can be intact..The best way to contact me is via email as I'm always running around with things.

Yeah I bet he is, none of which belong to him.

Thing that annoys me is bastards like this prey on old people and those good hearted folk that have no idea of the perils of the internet.

PinHead
22-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi, Tom,.

David Morgan
33 Eddleston Drive

regards Dave.

You're a gamer man than me giving him your details like that mate. All he needs to start stealing your identity, which is absolutely a huge industry now. And once they do it, you get into serious shit, and have to spend half your life proving it wasn't you who got that finance, or they transfer your property and sell it. Better off deleting them and getting on elsewhere. Dangerous shyte IMHO. But just my opinion, be it only 2 cents worth.......

I wouldn't be paranoid over that Mike..you can get that info from a phone book

David Ambler
22-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Same sort of scam tried on a mate of mine who had a car for sale. When I encounter these stinkers now (rarely) I suggest they buy the biggest jar of vaseline they can find because they will need it in jail...

Have to keep vigilant.

Cheers!

David.

Mrs Ronnie H
22-01-2012, 01:40 PM
hi
had the same thing when I advertised my car for sale on eb.
get the same thing from people offering me a job telling me they found my resume on career one.

i email them back and add a few choice words to the email.

Ronnie