PDA

View Full Version : News for PWC users. !!!

Lucky_Phill
06-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Also from 1 January 2012 all jet skis operating in Partially Smooth and Open water must carry flares and a V sheet

cheers Phill

stevel3
06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
yeah I know of this, I bet BCF Whitworths and Bias are rubbing their hands together awaiting all the sales.

Mr__Bean
07-12-2011, 07:42 AM
There are other new requirements too:

Personal watercraft operations
To improve marine safety and reduce injuries from collisions involving personal watercraft (for example a jet ski) the following changes will be made:

 Personal watercraft driver to maintain a distance of 30 metres from other moving boats when travelling at more than 10 knots, unless the personal watercraft is involved in an approved aquatic event.

 Personal watercraft licence holder is to wear the ‘kill switch’ safety lanyard when the personal watercraft is being driven by a learner driver.

 A learner personal watercraft driver can not carry passengers other than the supervising personal watercraft licence holder.

Full details here: http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/eb328510-c756-4fe0-8560-8931f6932aac/boating_improvements_factsheet.pdf

Darren

Lucky_Phill
09-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Don't know exactly what is an " approved aquatic event ", but I had at least 30 " skis " overtake me on Sunday. They headed to Tangalooma and parked on the beach, right in front of the shops.

There were already many boats anchored close to the beach and this made it hard for the resort craft to offload " tourists / passengers ".

I have no problem with this, but the skis passed me doing 25knots, probably. And came within 10 - 15 mtrs of me. I was underway.

Having said all that, I have no issue with these people, just wondering if what they was outside the rules. ????

They seemed to be from a club or similar...

LP

softplasticsdude79
09-01-2012, 06:50 PM
yeah,they have been belting the caboolture river the last few weeks,probaly 80-100 clicks past me within 20 meters also.

Seahorse
09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
As a jet ski owner, I think the new regs are fine. I have always carried flares, v sheet and epirb.
I think it's common sence stuff.
Softastic. Obviously not fisherman. I give boats same curiously as if I was in my tinnie. I bet those blokes never on this site.

Phil, 10/15 met to close for boat or ski. Same as what I said above, I bet they are not on this site. I would like to think all ski fisherman do the right thing

Linedropper
09-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I had few jetskis not obey the new law on the weekend in the GC seaway. I guess give them time to catch up.

Seahorse
10-01-2012, 06:06 AM
I think quiet a few will be caught out for some time.

The Woo
18-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm astounded by the lack of respect MANY MANY pwc users give other boaties. It's not just PWC users though, many small craft operaters just seem to have a "F U" attitude to other boaties.

North and West of Tangalooma is a no wash zone, has been for eons, and no matter how many times I was in the area, doing my 4/5 knots, wankers were buzzing past me like I was a simpleton. Holiday season always brings 'em out I guess.