PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 40hp 2 stroke problems

NathanCooper
04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi all
Ive been having an idle issue with my suzuki 40hp 2-stroke. After coming off the plane max revs and putting the boat into neutral the motor revs really high if i leave it in gear it stays at normal revs but when in neutral it revs to high and it becomes a problem when trying to dock the boat as it makes a terrible clunk when selecting reverse. Any ides on what this could be???
Thanks in advance
Cooper

krazyfisher
04-12-2011, 04:30 PM
spring lost its tension maybe

BM
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Most likely your throttle cable preload is out of adjustment. Cable preload ensures that when the cable is returned to its home position it still has some tension on it which in turn keeps the linkage its attached to pulled against its stop.

All cables have an adjuster on them be it a plastic thumbwheel, brass barrel, threaded inner rod etc etc. Take the engine cover off and locate the throttle cable. With the engine controls in the neutral position wiggle the throttle linkage. If you can move the linkage back and forth then it's out of adjustment as the cable should be holding it tight on its stop. Adjust the cable adjuster until there is no movement in the linkage (caused by the cable) and adjust it a touch tighter. This is the preload. Over-do the preload and it will be hard to move into gear and clunk inside the control box when trying to move the lever.

Cheers

tunaticer
04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Check for signs of rust on the throttle control cable as well. Sometimes the rust grows inwards putting excessive pressure on the throttle cable not letting it operate as it should. Might just be a tiny bit of rusty colour at one end to give away the culprit.

NathanCooper
05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Well Thanks alot guys i think BM was right there was some movement in the little ball joint so i took it off and tightened it up hopefully when i take her out next it will be fixed Cheere
Cooper